• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trends that you hope will go away soon

I want to know where you all eat. We used to take half a meal for for lunch the next day, now the portions at most restaurants are much much smaller, about right sized to be honest. And like I said, they have also downsized the plates so it looks like more food. I always wonder how much they really save on smaller portions. Is it really enough to justify the cost of hundreds of new smaller plates?

Way East of California.

I don’t like it when people use the word “lush” to describe something pleasant/ desirable (i.e. “breakfast was lush”). Lush is a word I’d use to describe a tropical rainforest, not a nice breakfast buffet/ restaurant/ hotel.

I also hate when people misuse apostrophes. I find it so frustrating. Like - it’s DVDs, NOT DVD’s. It’s 1960s, NOT 1960’s.
Not a trend - just an on-going lack of knowledge. I presume people would do it correctly if they knew better. I wonder if this sort of thing isn't taught in grade school anymore or if it's just that nobody paid attention. :scratchin

Putting the dollar sign AFTER the number. Is it a millennial thing? It drives me nuts!
Snapchat and Instagram and the constant selfies. DD is 15 and it is basically her life right now.

Me: Restaurants preparing dishes that you do not expect to be spicy hot, spicy hot.
I know if I order Diablo Shrimp or Buffalo Wings, they are going to be spicy. But I have had Clam Chowder and Fettuccine Alfredo recently that was flaming hot spicy. No warning on the menu, and not foods you would expect to be spicy. Ever.
Besides, almost every restaurant I have been to recent has Cholula or a similar product on the table for those who want something spiced up. But once a dish is spiced up, it can't be undone.

The French dressing at Outback is ridiculously spicy! I like spicy, but I can't even finish the small side salad there if I forget and order the French.

Gender reveal events.

100% agree! I can get it, maybe, if it's a first child. My ex's gf is about to have another, their third, and they've had a gender reveal party for each of them. The most annoying thing, they know the gender! I thought part of the point of these parties was to surprise the parents, but no, they surprise everyone else. DD couldn't make it to the last party, so she stopped by earlier in the day for them to tell her what it was. ?!?

Last edited:

Women’s tops with the cutout shoulders. I hate them, especially sweaters. A few days ago, I saw a friend wearing a bulky cable-knit sweater with no shoulders and it looked ridiculous. I just want to be warm and comfortable sometimes without having to be “sexy” all the time. :rolleyes2

Not a trend - just an on-going lack of knowledge. I presume people would do it correctly if they knew better. I wonder if this sort of thing isn't taught in grade school anymore or if it's just that nobody paid attention. :scratchin

10 years ago in college two of my required classes were REALLY basic English classes. We took them back to back semesters they were basically "English 1" and "English 2". In "English 1" we would swap papers to grade them and I usually wanted to cry by the time I made it through someone else's basic test it was so bad. I learned to read and write in French before English and I still remember learning most of the stuff we were going through in GRADE SCHOOL! When it came time for "English 2" there were a number of people from my group who couldn't take it that semester because they had failed "English 1" and it was required for "English 2." I wondered how any of them could pass any of our other classes if this was how poor their gras

YES! So much this right here. From discussions I have had with school administrators, they are not on board with this trend either. That stuff comes down directly from the district and they just have to implement it. My son goes to a new HS with almost all core classes being either CP or Honors/AP. There seems to be no place for "average" or trade focused students to go. It's gonna be a huge problem in a few years.

i was SO ON BOARD about 10 years ago when our local districts tweaked their curriculum b/c after conferring with our state's colleges and universities they FINALLY realized that dropping the continuing reinforcement in english courses of some of the basic concept skills after elementary school (grammar, spelling...) was causing incoming college freshman to be severally lacking (absent spell and grammar check), BUT now they have gone to a point of overcompensating such that a high school education is strictly 4 years of college prep.

We went to Denny's recently and I ordered a veggie burger with a side of hash browns. The burger came out on a 10" plate. The hash browns came out on a separate 10" plate, completely heaping. That tends to be the norm at places we go.

Denny's one of the places we noticed switched to smaller plates. LOL on the veggie burger, last two times we went....they were out! DD usually orders that.

My daughter just got 5 points taken off of a paper because she referred to Amelia Earhart as "she". Since my daughter never spoke to Amelia, her teacher wondered why she would be so "presumptuous" as to assume that is the pronoun Amelia preferred.

"Always go with 'they' until you speak with someone directly".

I really can't believe this is our world.
I'm sure you could find many newsreels and newspaper articles that referred to her as she WHILE she was alive.

Also, as a feminist, I would make the politically correct argument that erasing the gender of such a famous and accomplished woman diminishes women as a whole.

As I was reading this, I was nodding my head in agreement with a lot of the things said. Then it dawned on me...Gee, we (myself included) are full of "get off my lawn", aren't we? :D

I'm sure you could find many newsreels and newspaper articles that referred to her as she WHILE she was alive.

Also, as a feminist, I would make the politically correct argument that erasing the gender of such a famous and accomplished woman diminishes women as a whole.

And where she referred to herself in feminine terms. There's no shortage of quotes, printed interviews and newsreels of her talking about what it meant to be a WOMAN who flies a plane and about her perception of herself as encouraging *other women* to aspire to more than the social norms of the time permitted.

I'd have fought that 5 points. Not because it is enough to make a difference but because it is about the larger point. Like you said, when we erase gender, particularly of those women who were pioneers in their fields, we diminish our own history as well as those women's accomplishments. Gender is an inescapable part of some stories.

you just made a whole lot of heads explode!

And where she referred to herself in feminine terms. There's no shortage of quotes, printed interviews and newsreels of her talking about what it meant to be a WOMAN who flies a plane and about her perception of herself as encouraging *other women* to aspire to more than the social norms of the time permitted.

I'd have fought that 5 points. Not because it is enough to make a difference but because it is about the larger point. Like you said, when we erase gender, particularly of those women who were pioneers in their fields, we diminish our own history as well as those women's accomplishments. Gender is an inescapable part of some stories.

I'm with you in spirit, however based on what I've heard from my daughters, my husband and many friends of my daughters' about their recent college experiences you can expect to run up against professors with, I just call them extreme quirks, that it would be foolhardy to challenge. My younger daughter is currently navigating around this type of situation this semester. She's angry about it, but she also knows enough people who've been through it to realize there is no recourse unless you are willing to accept the failing grade on your transcript. The tenure system blows when it comes to these types of issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter