• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trends that you hope will go away soon

Last edited:
Women’s tops with the cutout shoulders. I hate them, especially sweaters. A few days ago, I saw a friend wearing a bulky cable-knit sweater with no shoulders and it looked ridiculous. I just want to be warm and comfortable sometimes without having to be “sexy” all the time. :rolleyes2
I cannot stand this style! I don't know why, it just irritates me. I've tried on a few in the fitting rooms and I had the hardest time just getting them over my head and my arms through the correct holes, it was ridiculous. I think they're called "cold shoulder" tops. I refuse to give in to the trend, besides- I don't want to look like everyone else.

I cannot stand this style! I don't know why, it just irritates me. I've tried on a few in the fitting rooms and I had the hardest time just getting them over my head and my arms through the correct holes, it was ridiculous. I think they're called "cold shoulder" tops. I refuse to give in to the trend, besides- I don't want to look like everyone else.
I like cold shoulder tops within reason for spring and summer because of temperatures. I own 2 of them and they are really cute. One is more of a dressier style so I've been able to wear it when I've needed to be more dressed up.

BUT I would not want to wear a cold shoulder top in a sweater-knit form personally.

My daughter calls them cup holders. That's what she thought they were when she was younger. :rotfl:

My daughter just got 5 points taken off of a paper because she referred to Amelia Earhart as "she". Since my daughter never spoke to Amelia, her teacher wondered why she would be so "presumptuous" as to assume that is the pronoun Amelia preferred.

"Always go with 'they' until you speak with someone directly".

I really can't believe this is our world.

Wow - I just cannot get over this one. When I was in school, I was told I needed to use either he/she or s/he for the singular that one did not know an exact gender. I still do this to this day. I remember my one professor who was a feminist marking students down for using "they" instead of he/she. I do believe in the case of Amelia Earhart that she would have allowed "she" as she was a woman.

American style IPA in no way resembles the centuries old beer style. Most of them are completely unbalanced, taste like someone gave sasquatch a hop enema, and poured the discharge into the glass. And virtually nobody drank it in the states until it became trendy. So yes, it is a "trend" and though it might not go away, it sure needs to.
How did the IPA hurt you? Because I can say I don't like pumpkin pie without insulting everyone who does.

How did the IPA hurt you? Because I can say I don't like pumpkin pie without insulting everyone who does.

And someone could say Pumpkin Pie tastes like fermented pig snot and I wouldn't get bent out of shape and insulted by it. In fact, I'd be laughing and liking that post even though I happen to like Pumpkin pie.

If someone can't handle me not liking something and describing that product colorfully and gets insulted, that isn't my problem.

The idea that being intentionally offensive is just "rugged individualism".

The portion size thing bothers me too--dh and I are both fairly big full grown men, it's weird that if we both order an entrée neither of us can finish it.

Back in my serving days we were regularly pressured to sell appetizers, entrees, and dessert to the same people. I told the manager once that I can't even finish an entire entree by myself because the portions are so huge. How on earth do they expect people to finish the entree in addition to an appetizer and dessert? If you want people ordering 3 courses then you need to make the portion sizes smaller.

I want to know where you all eat. We used to take half a meal for for lunch the next day, now the portions at most restaurants are much much smaller, about right sized to be honest. And like I said, they have also downsized the plates so it looks like more food. I always wonder how much they really save on smaller portions. Is it really enough to justify the cost of hundreds of new smaller plates?

We ate at Applebee's this summer. DD12 and I split the chicken parmesan and still couldn't finish it.

Gauges. I generally love piercings and tattoos but these squick me out.

Luluroe/Pure Romance/Doterra and anything else people think their FB friends would be "really interested" in buying.

Keto. God, followers of that diet are worse than even the most crusading of vegans!

Deliberate offensiveness disguised as "telling it how it is" or "not being PC". Racism and sexism and poor taste aren't a virtue; stop pretending they are.

And as someone else upthread said, high school graduation requirements designed to check the boxes on a Harvard admissions checklist. There's nothing wrong with stopping short of calculus, or with wanting to focus on the arts, or with pursing a skilled trade. I don't know who decided that the bar for graduation should be set at able to apply to highly selective colleges, but it isn't doing just-average students or those who learn best in ways that aren't suited to the classroom any favors.

A guy I went to high school with is like this. He revels in the fact that he "doesn't sugarcoat anything" and "tells it like it is" about things like #metoo, gun control, politics, etc. He very loudly proclaims his disdain for feminists, etc. and then tries to hide behind the "I don't sugarcoat anything" mantra. Yeah, you're obnoxious, we get it. He is other words too but refusing to state your opinions like a normal person is obnoxious.

Filters for photos. I'm talking about the puppy ears, dog tongue, etc stuff..IDK what it's technically called. All I know is it's cute every now and then but when I hardly ever get to see your actual face on FB because all your photos you put up is just filled with those filters it's just too much.

I can't quite understand why adults do this. If you're taking a picture with kids or something I get that but I don't quite get why adults will spend time playing with the filters for a picture of themselves.

Wow - I just cannot get over this one. When I was in school, I was told I needed to use either he/she or s/he for the singular that one did not know an exact gender. I still do this to this day. I remember my one professor who was a feminist marking students down for using "they" instead of he/she. I do believe in the case of Amelia Earhart that she would have allowed "she" as she was a woman.

So if you respond to someone by saying no ma'am or yes sir it's no longer considered polite but offensive? Great.

Are you reading/looking at non-US based things? The dollar/cent sign after the numbers is the "correct" way of doing it in many places outside the US.

No, and if I was looking at non-US based things I would understand that. I am on a buy/sell/trade FB page and here are a few younger posters who constantly post with the $ after the number (yes, they are all in the US). And a teacher in our district has done it also - which really annoys me.

... The cent sign DOES come after the number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cent_(currency)

I stand corrected on that. Thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter