Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
the question I am putting to them now.

In Disneyland Paris it is a AGAINST HEALTH AND SAFETY to keep pets in your hotel room and in the park.

Why is this different for Walt Disney World?

I thought someone posted the policy for WDW here and it did indicate for "health and safety" dogs weren't allowed in the parks. Not sure why it's not a health and safety issue at the resorts unless they are talking about the dog's health and safety and not the guests.

So...do these resorts allow the dogs to be unattended in the room all day? If not, I don't think you can really compare.

An unattended dog can do a LOT of damage to a hotel room in 7 hours.
I guess I see this as WDW is leaving that responsibility to the owner. If the dog does damage, I am sure WDW will require the owner to pay damages like they would for anyone who damages a room significantly regardless of the method. The $50/$75 fee per night doesn’t cover damages. Just because it’s not required that the dog be kenneled in the room doesn’t mean ppl won’t. Many owners are very aware of the things that ppl have posted related to how their pet will do in a strange place with strange noises. I would never not kennel my dog in strange place whether it was a requirement or not.

Currently, which will change, the DIS's poll on FB has 53 likes, 28 angry, 11 loves, 3 wows, 1 sad face which totals to 96 reactions If we remove the wows (which could be a good or bad reaction) that means out of 93 actual reactions (removing the wows) 64 people have positive reactions while 29 out of 93 (again removing the wows) people have negative reactions.

Or to put it in another words 68.82% of people have a positive reaction and 31.18% of people have a negative reaction on the DIS's own poll. The pendulum will swing over time and it could end up flip flopping for sure just providing the current reaction.

I don't think that's at all indicative. I know a lot of people on FB who don't know that anything exists beyond "Like". And in fact, sometimes people on FB like a post they disagree with.

"My pet died, I'm devastated". 63 likes.

I don't think that's at all indicative. I know a lot of people on FB who don't know that anything exists beyond "Like". And in fact, sometimes people on FB like a post they disagree with.

The comments seem to be more negative than positive. I would look at more than "likes". I commented on the post but did not like or angry face or any other face the post.

Listen you can't have THIS poll on THIS thread be perfectly fine for indicating the #s of ones against and yet be dismissive of another poll which incidently is by the owners of THIS board. That would be picking and choosing what suited your stance on the subject.

Not sure I completely buy the allergy argument many are trying to make (not saying I disblieve how server the allergy is.) yet if somebody has such a bad reaction wouldn't they come prepared for an animal reaction anyway? You can come in contact with a dog at the airport, on the airplane, in an uber, a service dog at the hotel. It's not like there aren't people who have allergies already enjoying Disney. Disney serves items that contain peanuts but we aren't hearing panic from people allergic to those-even though there might be peanut remnants in a hotel room. People have allergies to bees and yet still enjoy walking around the resorts without a huge fear of bee stings. These people just take the precautions they can to enjoy a drama free vacation. So why the hysteria about dogs at Disney and possible allergies. Again if you have such a bad allergy to dogs aren't you prepared for incidental dog contact whether it's Disney or elsewhere?
Because there is a world of difference between coming in contact in passing and sleeping in a room for days and days that has previously been occupied by a dog for days and days. Tell those with peanut allergies to just sleep in a room with open bags and load up on meds. Doesn’t work.

the question I am putting to them now.

In Disneyland Paris it is a AGAINST HEALTH AND SAFETY to keep pets in your hotel room and in the park.

Why is this different for Walt Disney World?
May have to do with the size of the resorts (you don't see CA allowing dogs yet). With the sheer amount of resorts at WDW (20+ at WDW vs 7 at DLP and only three at DLA) the corporation may feel it's a good place for a trial run before rolling the dog policies elsewhere. Also county laws may be different in France vs the US

The comments seem to be more negative than positive. I would look at more than "likes". I commented on the post but did not like or angry face or any other face the post.
That's very true. That's why I mentioned the comments aren't censored as much on FB as they are on the Disney blog post so yes feel free to post those deleted stuff on FB on DIS's own FB comment if you want to. But regardless this thread has a poll and multiple people have used it in their comments. A FB poll should be also included in on that then.

Because there is a world of difference between coming in contact in passing and sleeping in a room for days and days that has previously been occupied by a dog for days and days. Tell those with peanut allergies to just sleep in a room with open bags and load up on meds. Doesn’t work.
Exactly, yet there aren't "peanut free" rooms at Disney. People with peanut allergies ask for a deep clean and hope for the best (and yes the smallest bits of peanuts can set off the allergy). A person with dog allergies still have 20 resorts to chose from without large worry about dog dander- a person with other allergies (peanut, bees, et al.) don't have the luxury of some many options yet we aren't over run with stories of major allergy outbreaks. Take precautions ( and stop the sky is falling hyperbole) and there won't be problems.

Because some dogs will absolutely attack unprovoked.

A few weeks ago, I did a 5K which went through the woods. My husband and son (almost 2) came to support me. There was another runner there who had a dog. We were hanging around before the race in the vicinity of the runner with the dog. My son loves dogs and he smiled at the dog. He didn't walk toward the dog or reach out or anything. Just smiled. The dog lunged forward and started barking. Fortunately, the dog was on a leash and the owner was paying attention, so no harm done. I guess if you want to consider smiling at a dog "provoking" it, then he provoked the dog. But at a place like WDW, many toddlers are going to smile and maybe even point or wave when they see a dog. If that sets the dog off, there could be problems, particularly if their owners are busy with check-in and the like and maybe don't have as good of a hold on the dog as they should. It really only takes one bad incident to set off a slew of negative publicity. Look at the flak they got for the alligator incident, and that was a wild animal (not one expressly welcomed on property by Disney).

Another instance - my MIL used to have a poorly behaved chihuahua/beagle mix. That dog would scratch me nearly every single time I visited and attempted to bite me on more than one occasion for no apparent reason. I suppose I could have gotten a minor injury (and she did draw blood scratching me once), but that dog wasn't big enough to cause great harm. Still, it's an example of another dog that would attack without being provoked.

I wouldn't worry about a service animal doing such a thing, because as I understand, they receive very specific and strict training not to interact with humans aside from their handler except on command.

This is my concern too. As someone who deals with lawsuits stemming from dog bites, I can see what can happen - even after someone claims their dog would never be like that or they say they just don't know what happened because he was always so gentle. What concerns me is that at WDW many people are in the "Disney Bubble" and think nothing can happen. People will bring their dogs saying they are the perfect dog and would never harm anyone. But, this may be a completely new and different situation for that dog and could add stress.
one example, this past summer I was shopping with my 2 kids and DD9 saw a small dog in a stroller and while I was looking the other way, stooped down to see the dog closer, and this little dog went ballistic! I mean growling, showing teeth, barking and trying to jump at her! I was glad the dog was in a stroller with a cover because it couldn't get to DD and she's old enough where she wasn't real close and had a good reaction to jump away.
I don't think there will end up being a lot of dogs but for those that are there, I just hope everyone - owners and anyone seeing/going up to a dog - realize the Disney Bubble will not stop the unexpected.

That's very true. That's why I mentioned the comments aren't censored as much on FB as they are on the Disney blog post so yes feel free to post those deleted stuff on FB on DIS's own FB comment if you want to. But regardless this thread has a poll and multiple people have used it in their comments. A FB poll should be also included in on that then.

I personally wasn't aware (or saw it noted) that The Dis post on FB was a poll. The link in the article directs to this poll. I really didn't consider that the number of happy faces vs angry faces was a poll. Is that mentioned somewhere?

I personally wasn't aware (or saw it noted) that The Dis post on FB was a poll. The link in the article directs to this poll. I really didn't consider that the number of happy faces vs angry faces was a poll. Is that mentioned somewhere?
That's fine that you don't consider that but generally speaking one can look at that and see what sort of reactions are there as well. It should be taken into consideration much like the poll on this thread.

Otherwise all anyone should be looking at is comments on this thread and disregarding the Yes or No aspect of the poll. Plenty of people can vote on the poll and not comment and plenty of people can comment but not vote on the thread. So to me if you're (general you) going to say "Based on the numbers..." for this thread you should be able to look at what people's reactions are that are non-verbal on FB as well. And you really can't discount people's reactions somewhere but count them elsewhere. There's no doubt to the fact that there is negative reaction to this but it can't be ignored that it's not all negative reaction.

Not sure I completely buy the allergy argument many are trying to make (not saying I disblieve how server the allergy is.) yet if somebody has such a bad reaction wouldn't they come prepared for an animal reaction anyway? You can come in contact with a dog at the airport, on the airplane, in an uber, a service dog at the hotel. It's not like there aren't people who have allergies already enjoying Disney. Disney serves items that contain peanuts but we aren't hearing panic from people allergic to those-even though there might be peanut remnants in a hotel room. People have allergies to bees and yet still enjoy walking around the resorts without a huge fear of bee stings. These people just take the precautions they can to enjoy a drama free vacation. So why the hysteria about dogs at Disney and possible allergies. Again if you have such a bad allergy to dogs aren't you prepared for incidental dog contact whether it's Disney or elsewhere?

In my family, between myself and my children, we have all of the types of allergies you spoke of above. 20+ years ago, we discovered that we could bring our Food Allergic child to WDW and they would move heaven and earth to accommodate us to keep him safe. Indeed we kept coming back all through the years because it was the only place we felt we could feed him safely away from home. In the past Disney has always gone the extra mile to accommodate families with Special Needs and Health Issues. We grew to depend on their pride in providing a safe vacation experience for fragile children and adults as well. This new Policy goes against everything they've represented themselves to be all these years. It's like they've chosen to do an abrupt about face and basically throw a lot of families under the bus in the process.

It is not a life threatening issue for my husband or son (at least that we know of - we really try to avoid dogs as much as possible), but it's a miserable reaction. Itchy, red, tearing eyes, stuffy nose and sore throat. Really not the kind of thing you want on vacation - and we'd also prefer to avoid medication - there are side effects. My son also has a tree nut allergy and for that we have an epi-pen as that's an anaphylactic issue. Very different issue.

Sincere question here...

Why would this particular poll on the Dis be non representative? The Dis is definitely skewed towards veteran WDW guests, and those who love Disney World but I’m struggling why those demographics would have any impact any the accuracy of this poll as representing a broader population.

The results of roughly 85% against this policy has been very consistent since the start of the poll, which is now encroaching 1000 voters.

The poll is about allowing dogs at Disney resorts. I’m struggling why our demographics would skew results. I would say that we are also generally more informed than the general public because a much larger percentage of us have been to WDW and understand the impact.

It’s not like the poll is asking if WDW is a worthwhile vacation destination. A question like that would be heavily skewed by our demographics.

Dan

This thread makes me wonder what a thread would have looked liked back when they stopped people from smoking in rooms, or that you no longer need to wear a jacket to dinner. :jester:

In my family, between myself and my children, we have all of the types of allergies you spoke of above. 20+ years ago, we discovered that we could bring our Food Allergic child to WDW and they would move heaven and earth to accommodate us to keep him safe. Indeed we kept coming back all through the years because it was the only place we felt we could feed him safely away from home. In the past Disney has always gone the extra mile to accommodate families with Special Needs and Health Issues. We grew to depend on their pride in providing a safe vacation experience for fragile children and adults as well. This new Policy goes against everything they've represented themselves to be all these years. It's like they've chosen to do an abrupt about face and basically throw a lot of families under the bus in the process.
Well think about it from another stance here. 20+ years ago was food allergies really well-known? Were they accommodated in a variety of places? Did we have peanut free flights 20+ years ago (maybe we did and I just don't remember that could be the case). Did we have schools that outlaw specific ingredients in food brought in, etc?

Food allergies is one thing that the public has become very aware of and as a society we have tried to accommodate as much as possible. 20+ the idea of cat cafes was probably very rare. The idea of pet-friendly cafes and restaurants was not so common. Heck I went to an outlet mall last year in southern MD that just beemed with pride for being pet-friendly. Multiple store owners also left water bowls (and replenished them often) for the dogs plus treats out and about as well.

I totally understand the bind that you are in but I also get Disney's thoughtprocess on this. Like it or not we as a society are more tolerating and embracing of pet-friendly areas, we are also more of a pet-friendly society with are laws that are getting stronger and stronger against animal abusers, stronger ordinances on treatments of animals (like pets being kept outdoors without x,y,z or without shelter when the temp is __, etc). So 20+ years ago I don't think I would have seen Disney open up resorts to be pet-friendly but nowadays it's not a shock. It's still not a shock the really tight timeframe Disney gave notice to its customers but that part I am def. not for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter