Tried a New Recipe and Nobody Liked It...

ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
...I hate it when that happens. It was a lazy Sunday afternoon and I'd had a little "brain worm" planted about peanut butter a while back. I googled "savory peanut butter recipes" and settled on trying grilled chicken satay. Lots of ingredients, quite a few steps and none of us liked it - we're not accustomed to curry and found the smell really off-putting. (I may consider keeping the recipe in my repertoire in case I ever need something "ethnic" for a themed event, though.) Anybody else try and fail at a new dish lately?

I hate that. I made coconut chicken and my husband did not like it. It wasn't a huge fan either. Oh well.

I tried a curry dish for the first time recently and have to admit I'm not a fan. Peanut butter I'm a fan of. Curry not so much, so mixing them would create quite the dilemma for me. :)

We love chicken sate here but we don't use much curry. Hey, you can't like everything but it's fun to experiment.

Oh man, that stinks!

I love trying new recipes and my biggest stinker was Hungarian Beef Stew. It is still an "inside joke" around here. ehehee

Oh yes. Many of new dishes tried -- and a lot of them quickly rejected. It's such a bummer.

Most of them are typically easy, but once I did this long and expensive macaroni and cheese (the woman went against Bobby Flay and won). It was awful.

YEP-many times. Sometimes a couple like it more than others or I am the only one who likes it. But since I do the cooking and shopping around here I get to pick what we eat. It's fun to try new stuff and sometimes you get a new favorite out of experimenting. But it keeps us trying new things too:)

I can't think of anything that we haven't liked but there's been a few that I have had to tweak to make them better the second time around.

I make this peanut butter curry sauce that I love so much it's hard not to lick the pot clean. I am a huge lover of Indian food and curries though. I make new recipes all the time either from a cookbook or I just make it up. Several times each week we try different things. Most of them are good, great or at least edible but once in awhile there will be a flop. Doesn't stop from trying new things though. I could never be one of those people who eat the same things every week or month and I love experimenting in the kitchen. I have discovered so much great food this way. I love trying different ethnic cuisines, so much more flavour then typical "American food".

Let's just say anytime I announce I am trying a new recipe, the general consensus is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
My Dh always says "this ones going to be scary..........":rotfl:

He's less adventurous then I am but since I'm the cook I get to decide and 9 times out of 10 he ends up liking the new recipe.

We call those kinds of recipes "Once in a lifetime" recipes, meaning "don't ever make this again!" :)

And when DH or I try out a new recipe, we make sure to announce that it's a brand new recipe, and our boys are free to tell us what they think without hurting our feelings. We figure we can blame it on the recipe, not the chef.

Ugh. I hate it when that happens. I try and experiment and try new things but my family is really particular about what they like. I just cook for myself... even then I don't always like what I make. :(

Let's just say anytime I announce I am trying a new recipe, the general consensus is "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
My DH, God bless him, is an absolutely brutal cook. He's not big on taking direction and like many things in his life, he "trusts his instincts". Problem is, cooking and especially baking, is actually kind of a science and while creativity is very valuable, certain principles need to be understood and applied. Being the gracious wife that I am, I have honed my ability to swallow without chewing...some of his efforts are truly hideous. {{shudder}}. I may be the only woman in the world that is NOT happy to get a text at 4:30 saying "don't worry about supper honey, I'm on it". :crazy2:

I just came across this recipe, and thought of you. It looks good, and peanut butter is a featured ingredient. =)

http://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2015/07/peanut-sauces-sesame-chicken.html
Thanks. Something like that would have been better if I would have stuck to garlic, ginger, soy etc. It was the curry that messed us up and I went with the grilled skewers because it was 85 degrees yesterday. Funny thing is, I don't like peanut butter and we never eat it (because I don't buy it - maybe 3 jars in the past 20 years). Since I bought some especially for this experiment, maybe I'll try your thing to use it up, but probably not soon! :o

DH and I have a "new, original, and exciting" dinner at least once month. Most of the time, we like the recipes we try, but we are both very adventurous eaters, willing to try almost any ethnic regional dishes. I do tend to tweak the recipes I find- most tend to be seriously underseasoned for our tastes.

Occasionally, there is a "dud". C'est la vie- as long as we didn't make a huge vat of it, we either dump it or doctor it up. The only time I get upset is if the recipe uses very expensive ingredients that become inedible.

I hate when that happens. My last two big bombs were crock pot meals so we waited hours for a big fat nothing and end up tossing quite a bit of food since we just didn't like them at all.

I made Alton Brown's meat sauce and spaghetti after watching an episode of Good Eats
It was SOOOOOO expensive and time consuming. Everyone found it edible, no one found it to be good.

I also made Alton Brown's devil's food cake...followed everything exactly (even ordered cocoa from Amazon). Again, mediocore-too dry, not sweet enough. (Far, far prefer the recipe on the back of the Hershey cocoa powder canister)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter