Trip is 46 days away and dh still isn't excited!

Jen D

DIS Veteran
My dh and I have taken our daughter to DL a couple times; everybody has liked it, including my dh. I started planning this trip about six months ago and he said fine! But he has taken absolutely no interest in the planning; in fact, his eyes sort of glaze over whenever I consult him on trip details. But if I ask him if he still wants to go, he insists he does, so I don't push it. But he seems completely disinterested in the trip. He basically changes the subject if he hears the words "Disney World." I'm starting to think he agreed just to indulge me and dd. But I really think he will enjoy it-- he liked DL, he loves Disney moves, we'll be staying at a nice hotel-- what's not to like? (except the getting up early.) Since he doesn't seem interested in hearing about the vacation before we go, should I just leave him alone and keep planning? Or should I try to get him excited about it? My fear is that if I do everything and he goes without having planned or read ANYTHING, we'll be spending half our time getting oriented.

This is a weird thing to have angst about, but I am so excited about this trip, because I'm dying to see WDW and because we haven't had a family trip that wasn't a relative visiting visit in about five years! I can't wait for a visit with just the three of us! I just wish my dh were as excited as I am. Then again, maybe he isn't a plan-ahead guy.... 46 days seems really soon to me, but maybe he feels differently. Maybe I should try to engage him again in 39 more days?

I wouldnt push it too much on him if I were you. My hubby loves WDW with all his heart, and occasionally before our trip he will say "I am so ready to go!!" But then when I get all excited a month or so before, he doesnt share the same exact enthusiam I do (for one thing, I go OVERBOARD! :) ), anyway, then, 2 or 3 days before we leave, he starts getting ancy and excited, and then when we are on the way, that is it for him, he just sinks right into the feel and the happiness of it.

So give your DH some space and he will come around! Just dont overdo the planning thing, and he will come around. Just keep your child interested and then he will see it too.

Just my opinion.....hope it helps! Good Luck!!!!!!

Keep planning and getting yourself oriented so YOU know what's going on. Enjoy it with your daughter and keep him involved without pushing it on him. When you get there, the MAGIC will take over and get to him and you will have a wonderful trip and wonderful memories.

My DH is the exact same way! It has been that way for every trip and it is hard when you are so excited you could dance in the street but when you want to share it with him you get "the glazed look"! He does come around once he walks in the door after his last day of work before we leave! THEN, he is ready! I was resigned to share my excitement with the kids again and give him his space and THEN I found these boards!!! Yippeeee.....it's a whole new world! Now I can share my excitement and planning with other "adults" who understand!! All I have said to my husband is "See, there are thousands of people out there just like me!" His eyeballs rolled this time instead of glazed! HA HA! Enjoy these boards and your planning!!

Boy it is nice to know that I am not alone!! My DH seems to get this far away look in his eyes whenever I talk about Disney. If I ask his opinion on something the response I get is basically "Whatever you want dear". I mean we are talking about DISNEY!! I guess he is just happy to go but not overly excited about planning the whole thing!! I wish I could figure it out!! Oh well!!

Disney Bound 2001
All Star Sports
October 20th-October 28th 2001

For some great pictures of our last trip to Disney in March 2001 check out our web site

chris320.tripod.com

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

JenDawson thanks for this post! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one married to a true "grumpy"! I can't get him to do anything with me on the planning. We went in 1998 and he did enjoy it very much. I have been planning since Jan. and I'm going crazy with anticipation!(we're going Dec 8-13) Our last trip was May 1998. Too long for me-so now I told him today we were going once a year and he about flipped!So how do you convince your DH that it is a good idea! Thanks!

My daughter and I went by ourselves once, still not sure how we managed to pull that one off and we had such a fun time. Anyway, husband sure got a lot more enthusiastic about going everytime after that!!! Now he is as eager as I am and it just gets plugged into the budget!

I have been thinking about it since I posted-- and incidently I posted the days wrong-- it is 36 days, 34 days now-- wheee! But I am thinking about him and realizing he just doesn't see things that far in advance. He wants instant gratification. Now I remember when I first sold him on the idea of a vacation back in March, he said great! And wanted to go RIGHT AWAY! I convinced him we need six months to be able to afford it and not charge everything, etc. He kind of lost interest after that. So probably about five days before we go, he'll say-- "what day are we going to Disney again? Really? This Sunday? Okay!" :D

Sounds like you are just really excited about your trip and that you have worked really hard to make it all happen and be perfect for all of you. Relax and enjoy your efforts. :) To some people the trip begins when you begin planning. Others not until they physically get going on it. I am sure your efforts will be appreciated and you will come home with a whole suitcase full of wonderful memories!.....all of you!

We seem to be an elite group of disney planners!
I feel so much better that i am not the only one who goes through this
every year. My dh starts to get excited close to a week before we
leave(I remind him every day of how many days till we leave, it drives him nuts
but he humors me) We are going on our 10th annnual trip this dec(1st time in dec)
I know he loves it just as much as me....he just won't help plan.(which is fine)
I turn into a 12 year old the minute i get there. I sing ,skip,and dance at every
park, and he lets go too. It truly is a wonderful magical place.

ONLY 107 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!

thanks for all your great stories

My DH is acting the same way, but I know once we get there he will be the biggest
kid of all, I guess it's a male thing, u know...it's not macho to say u are excited to
go see a Cartoon mouse...I'll admit I am any time!

HUlabird

ONLY 7 DAYS TIL WDW/CBR & MY BUDDY MICKEY!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

wdw01a.gif

You guys have made me feel so much better! It is a good thing this board is here for us Disney-obsessed. And I have never been as an adult!

A couple of days ago my friend told me her sister (who I have never even met) was taking the family to Disney for the first time. I offered to e-mail her some info, and I send an e-mail with some websites, names of guidebooks, etc, and advice about booking Cindy's. She wrote back and asked about Mickey character meals, and I replied with an exhaustive survey of all Mickey charcter dining. She just wrote back to thank me for the quick response... do you think I am coming off as a crazy person? :D :D :D I have had such fun planning, I want to share! Anyway, I think dh will enjoy it. I really hope he does, because he works really hard and deserves a little fun for a change..... am I babbling? Thanks everyone!
:jester: :jester:

MY husband too!!! He says if I hear one more word about Disney--and we're not going till Oct!! I'm so glad I found this website! Last time we took our DS he wouldn't even let me tell him we were going. We woke him up at 5 am and surprised him. It just about killed me!! DH thought I couldn't keep my mouth shut, but I did it!:bounce: I send this website to whoever tells me they are going to Disney or are thinking about planning a trip there.:D

My DH doesn't do any planning at all. He just says "You know what you're doing." and "I trust you" But, as soon as we get there he is as excited as the other boys (DS's 9, 7, and 3). Just enjoy the planning process and don't worry... he'll get with the program soon enough.

going back and reading all of these posts on this topic, kind of made me giggle and makes me wonder just who has the problem? Maybe it is not all of the husbands, friends, etc. Maybe we all need to be in a "Disney Annonymous" group or something:) . We are a silly bunch aren't we?.......but we sure know how to have a good time!!...and to share it. I have the baby of my children, a CM, coming home this weekend for a quick visit and then I am going to visit her the 1st of Oct for the 100 years of magic opening. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait. Find myself on these boards more than usual. I think it helps to share, or maybe control your excitement with all of the other Disney addicts.

:p

acmmommymouse....had to lol at your last post!!! You are right....who are really the strange ones, us or our dhs? HA HA HA A matter of perspective I guess! My dh and I have been laughing TOGETHER over these posts...imagine that! I think this thread has helped him to understand my "mickeymania" a little better. At least he now sees it's not some solitary syndrome I have...it's shared by lots of ya'll! Thanks for the "marriage counselling"!! Gotta love the dis!

I'm glad I read this post. I'm taking my DS in October (42 days) and my mom and sister are also coming with us. Everytime I mention something to them they give me a funny look. I was so excited after I made our PS for Chef Mickey's for our first night. My sis says I'm out of control and need to be "de-programmed". I know they will have a good time once we are there but it would be nice if they were half as excited as I am. I love planning these trips and reading everything I can, I always find neat little things that I never knew existed. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

In some alternate world, the dhs are posting on a board:

"Help! My wife is obsessed with Disney! She does nothing but read guidebooks and the internet about Disneyworld! One morning she got up at 6:30 am every day trying to get something called "priority seating" for a "Cinderella breakfast!" I think she is losing it! I mean, I like WDW too, but geez, the trip isn't for another 4 weeks!" :D :D

I had to respond to this thread. Ive been planning our Oct trip since early Jan. My MIL and husband think Ive gone way overboard. I inform them of all my plans - which day to do which park, where our PS are. I ask for input and they tell me "whatever". Husband and I went with our 9yr son (4 at the time) in 1996 and husband knows I'll cover it all. MIL says it doesnt sound like a vacation. Just depends on each persons idea of a vacation. Disney is NOT a sit down, relax vacation. I invest too much money in this vacat so I want to get everything done. The relaxing part of the vaca is the one day of rest we have after we leave Disney and go to MILs near Vero Beach.

We are leaving in 13 days for the Disneyana Convention in California and I keep asking DH if he wants to review the schedule of events for the convention and he keeps saying no. I just signed him up with me for the seminars that I want to attend. I told him that I was going to bring the 2-way radios so that he can do different things and I can do different things and he just looked at me kind of funny....so, we will probably have to compromise a little when we get there. I am so excited about visiting Disneyland and California Adventure and I get no response from him at all.......Since I retired from my job last Oct 1st, we have been able to get to WDW pretty frequently as long as I make all the plans and make all the decisions.
Works for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter