• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trip report! Genie+ and the Grand

drenha

Earning My Ears
Just returned from a 3-night stay (2 park days) at the Grand. It was our first time staying at the Grand. We've stayed at DLH 2x, but both before the pandemic. Our party consisted of 2 adults and 5 young children. We used Anaheim Town Car Services to shuttle from SNA. We've used them before and they have been super reliable. Not the cheapest option but great for a large group like ours. I was surprised that no one came to help us with our bags when we arrived. As you can imagine, we had a lot of luggage and our youngest child was 3, so a luggage cart would have been very helpful!

Check-in was easy. We arrived at 1:00pm and our room was not ready, but we were given a key for the pool. We schlepped our bags to the pool area with us and changed into our suits there. We got the text that our room was ready around 3 - perfect timing! I asked if it would be possible to bring a luggage cart to the entry of the pool area and they said no, so we once again hauled all of our stuff ourselves. We had also ordered groceries from instacart. They said the groceries arrived and someone would bring them up to us shortly, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately they never showed and we brought them up ourselves at 9:00pm.

Overall I loved the proximity and ambiance of the Grand. The kids said the preferred DLH and that the Grand was "too much of a maze" (older kids kept getting turned around in the hallways). I would have liked more attentive service for what we shelled out a night for our 2-bedroom suite, but I also won't judge any hotel too harshly in these post-pandemic short-staffed times. FYI, they wouldn't schedule ahead room-service breakfast (DLH did pre-pandemic) or schedule ahead luggage pick-up on departure day. Cast members were hit-or-miss in terms of friendliness, but like I said, I wouldn't judge too harshly at this point.

The room itself was lovely and spacious. Smaller than DLH hotel but we had everything we needed, and the 3 balconies were lovely. We overlooked the pools and weren't too far from the elevator so I'd call it a win. The only downside room-wise was the no bathtub for our young children, but it wasn't a huge deal. I should mention that we did receive the much-discussed prints in our room.

Park day details to come. Spoiler: better than expected and G+ worked great for us!

Just returned from a 3-night stay (2 park days) at the Grand. It was our first time staying at the Grand. We've stayed at DLH 2x, but both before the pandemic. Our party consisted of 2 adults and 5 young children. We used Anaheim Town Car Services to shuttle from SNA. We've used them before and they have been super reliable. Not the cheapest option but great for a large group like ours. I was surprised that no one came to help us with our bags when we arrived. As you can imagine, we had a lot of luggage and our youngest child was 3, so a luggage cart would have been very helpful!

Check-in was easy. We arrived at 1:00pm and our room was not ready, but we were given a key for the pool. We schlepped our bags to the pool area with us and changed into our suits there. We got the text that our room was ready around 3 - perfect timing! I asked if it would be possible to bring a luggage cart to the entry of the pool area and they said no, so we once again hauled all of our stuff ourselves. We had also ordered groceries from instacart. They said the groceries arrived and someone would bring them up to us shortly, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately they never showed and we brought them up ourselves at 9:00pm.

Overall I loved the proximity and ambiance of the Grand. The kids said the preferred DLH and that the Grand was "too much of a maze" (older kids kept getting turned around in the hallways). I would have liked more attentive service for what we shelled out a night for our 2-bedroom suite, but I also won't judge any hotel too harshly in these post-pandemic short-staffed times. FYI, they wouldn't schedule ahead room-service breakfast (DLH did pre-pandemic) or schedule ahead luggage pick-up on departure day. Cast members were hit-or-miss in terms of friendliness, but like I said, I wouldn't judge too harshly at this point.

The room itself was lovely and spacious. Smaller than DLH hotel but we had everything we needed, and the 3 balconies were lovely. We overlooked the pools and weren't too far from the elevator so I'd call it a win. The only downside room-wise was the no bathtub for our young children, but it wasn't a huge deal. I should mention that we did receive the much-discussed prints in our room.

Park day details to come. Spoiler: better than expected and G+ worked great for us!
Thanks for sharing. We had many of the same experiences on our trip over MLK Weekend. It was also our first stay at the Grand.

We used Anaheim Town Car Services and had a great experience as well from SNA. We were also not helped with our bags when we arrived at the Grand, and we were also told we could not schedule bell services to bring down our bags on departure day. We also felt the layout is a bit of a maze, and the overall aesthetic of the DLH is more our preference for the future.

Do they not hold your bags at bell services for you until your room is ready anymore?
Yes, they do still hold bags. The issue being described is walking into the hotel from the car drop off for large families with kids and numerous bags. There was no one available from bell services to help carry bags inside the lobby from outside upon arrival. Other people surely have had different experiences, but this was my personal experience, as well as the original poster of this thread. Both of us visited just in the past few weeks and had the same issue.

Yes, they do still hold bags. The issue being described is walking into the hotel from the car drop off for large families with kids and numerous bags. There was no one available from bell services to help carry bags inside the lobby from outside upon arrival. Other people surely have had different experiences, but this was my personal experience, as well as the original poster of this thread. Both of us visited just in the past few weeks and had the same issue.
Got it! We only have three in our family and we always felt like we move in when we check into a hotel. I cant imagine having 7!

As for room service not being able to be scheduled ahead ... at least they offer it. I was super disappointed at the lack of breakfast options at DLH on our last trip; no room service and Tangaroa didn't open until almost the same time as the park.

Not having someone there to take your bags out of your car at curbside for check-in is pretty lame for a 4* hotel at this price point. They should be welcoming you as you get out of the car and taking your bags, then coordinating with the front desk to then take your bags to your room. I guess it’s a staffing issue but seems very cheap from Disney. I know they used to do this in the past, and I’ve had fantastic experiences at WDW with split stays where my bags showed up in my next room before I even got to the next hotel.

I can understand not being able to take a luggage cart into the pool area, but they should have been able to meet you right outside the pool area at least. A big disappointing to read about that level of service.

(My emphasis with text coloring.)

I wonder how much longer guests will let Disney slide by on less-than-stellar service because of lingering economic effects of the pandemic. I know there are also current economic issues, but I get the impression that people are already getting tired of giving Disney a break on this—especially when they're spending nearly a grand per night on a hotel.

That must be a newish thing going on because when we were there in October, there were many CMs out front. I would say no less than 10 CMs going from car to car, offering to assist before even stepping out of the vehicle. I also didn't much care for the hotel, but everyone was extremely friendly. I'm sorry that wasn't your experience!

But, now that I think about it, we were chatting with a bellhop CM on our last trip and he said they are going into the hotel less busy season. Maybe it's under scheduling? A bummer either way, though.

I set the bar low for our park days based on everything I’ve read recently about crowds/reduced services/food quality/etc, so it’s possible that these low expectations colored my experience.

That being said, I found the crowds to be the most manageable I’ve experienced, maybe ever. On the first day we rope dropped DL. We all did Dumbo, then I took the big kids on space mountain while the littlest did Mr. Toad, teacups, and Alice in Wonderland. Peter Pan was down, but overall, we felt great about our early entry experience.

Both Matterhorn and Rise went down during our return times. Matterhorn converted to MEP which we used on BTMR, and Rise converted to a use anytime pass, which we were able to use in the evening. We had lunch at Blue Bayou. I wouldn't describe the food as low quality, but it's definitely nowhere near as good as it was a few years ago.

Disneyland started feeling crowded at around 1pm. We took a nice long afternoon break and took the kids to the pool. I thought the water was way too freezing but the kids didn't mind. We ordered doordash to the hotel and went back to the park to hit a few more rides. We were able to rebook G+ Matterhorn!

So day 1 for G+ was: Matterhorn (MEP on BTMR), Millenium Falcon, Matterhorn again, and ILL for Rise. Everything else we were able to do standby with less than a 20 minute wait, including IASW which we rode 3 times (as requested by the youngest kiddos).

We ended up not park-hopping that day, though we did find it was shorter to cut through CA on the way to DL through the Grand.

Last edited:
As for room service not being able to be scheduled ahead ... at least they offer it. I was super disappointed at the lack of breakfast options at DLH on our last trip; no room service and Tangaroa didn't open until almost the same time as the park.
I remember when I could order breakfast to be delivered at 6am at the DLH - it was perfect if pricey. We usually just order groceries and have cereal/yogurt for breakfast but it's nice for a once-a-trip treat. We did order room service on our departure day when we slept in. I was on hold for 20 minutes to place the order, but it arrived in 35 minutes which I thought was pretty speedy. Food was great too!

That must be a newish thing going on because when we were there in October, there were many CMs out front. I would say no less than 10 CMs going from car to car, offering to assist before even stepping out of the vehicle. I also didn't much care for the hotel, but everyone was extremely friendly. I'm sorry that wasn't your experience!

But, now that I think about it, we were chatting with a bellhop CM on our last trip and he said they are going into the hotel less busy season. Maybe it's under scheduling? A bummer either way, though.
Could be! Either way, I'm just glad we mostly made it in without losing any baggage or children o_O

The kids were so excited that they woke up at 5am on day one, couldn't nap, and didn't go to sleep until after 10pm. They were tired! I decided that we wouldn't rope drop the next day and would just let everyone sleep in and see what happened.

Our youngest kiddo woke up in a MOOD. We couldn't tell if it was illness, exhaustion, or some combination thereof. To be safe, I ended up staying in the room with that one while adult 2 took the other 4 to the park. Adult 2 doesn't have the app and isn't great with cellphones. Luckily we had purchased magicbands for everyone and I ended up texting the oldest kid and booking G+ from the room for everybody. I have to say, magicbands made the logistics on our trip MUCH easier.

This is where G+ really shined. As soon as they tapped in I was able to make a LL for Spiderman for 20 minutes later. They went to carsland and hit up Mater and Luigi's before Spiderman. Once they tapped in there, I booked Midway Mania for a window that started in 10m. They rode the carousel and had brunch. When they finished, they were able to go straight to Soaring LL followed by Monsters LL. The played on Redwood Creek and Challenge and were then ready for an afternoon break.

A few of the kids wanted more downtime and a few wanted to go back to the park, so Adult 2 stayed with suspiciously moody kiddo (who was feeling much better but seeming perfectly content to hang in the room, so why push it?) and one other while I took 3 to DL. We were able to make and immediately redeem Star Tours (our 40" tall 5-year-old LOVED it), walk on Small World, and then make and redeem Astro Blasters LL immediately. We ordered Galactic Grill and had no problems with wait times. Food was very much how it always is there. The kids wanted to do Millenium Falcon so we made a LL that was immediately redeemable, but then two of the kids decided they were ready for bed. I walked them back to the hotel (loved the proximity!) and then took the two oldest kids to the dessert party.

We had never seen WoC before and wow - it did not disappoint. Is the dessert party worth the cost? Objectively no. Will I purchase it again? Definitely yes. Having zero rush, a comfortable seat, and a plateful of mediocre desserts that the kids loved made it all worth it. The kids immediately said it was their favorite part of the trip.

All in all, a great trip! Al of the G+ return windows were within 30 minutes of when we booked them. Don't know if we got lucky or if they're working on the system. Hoping it's the latter! Crowds overall were lower than I expected, especially with the Lunar New Year events. My only complaint is that I did feel a bit more glued to my phone, but I was in a large group with people with very different interests and the only other adult did not have the app. I imagine if I had a smaller family it wouldn't have felt like so much phone time.

G+ for day 2: Spiderman, Midway Mania, Soaring, Monsters, Start Tours, Buzz, Millenium Falcon (cancelled)

I've read of so may people having disappointing trips recently, but we truly did not. Hoping the general tides are turning!

...I was surprised that no one came to help us with our bags when we arrived. As you can imagine, we had a lot of luggage and our youngest child was 3, so a luggage cart would have been very helpful!
The valet and bell services CMs are focused on guests arriving in personal cars, and unfortunately are often quite busy. Guests arriving by car service (or taxi, Uber, shuttle...) might be ignored, as you were. GCH should offer you assistance, but in this case you would need to ask for help from CMs helping with personal cars. If all else fails, there is a Bell Services desk just inside the hotel entrance.

There are no self-service luggage carts, so bell services should be offering to help every guest

All in all, a great trip! Al of the G+ return windows were within 30 minutes of when we booked them. Don't know if we got lucky or if they're working on the system. Hoping it's the latter! Crowds overall were lower than I expected, especially with the Lunar New Year events.

It was the low, low crowds that made Genie+ work so well. It works great when crowds are low and terrible when crowds are big (especially for your second park if you’re park hopping).

Really glad you experienced DLR this past weekend as we did. The extra light crowds made for an extra magical time!

Last edited:
(My emphasis with text coloring.)

I wonder how much longer guests will let Disney slide by on less-than-stellar service because of lingering economic effects of the pandemic. I know there are also current economic issues, but I get the impression that people are already getting tired of giving Disney a break on this—especially when they're spending nearly a grand per night on a hotel.
Agree. I travel a lot, and for half of what the Grand charges, I have enjoyed attentive service, excellent meals, bell hop services, and more. Disney has got to up its game. I refuse to stay on site because of the lackluster service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter