TRIP REPORT: The Bucket List Trip

Forum Jumper

uses lots of words
I have always wanted to go to WDW in winter, at Christmas time. No one else in the family finds it appealing to travel in winter so this became "The Bucket List Trip". MY bucket list trip...."can't we get out of here some Christmas?"

This is it. The unplanned December trip that is being pulled together. pixiedust:

Even though we have been to WDW a few times over the years, I seem to be a 'planning newbie'. I am not familiar with any of the resorts other than a couple of the Value. There are new rides, new ways of doing things, new characters....it can be overwhelming. So, I will share my trip and planning towards other newbies and hopefully it will help someone else with planning.

We decided in October to go to WDW, in December, because we saw a great deal on a flight. Flight costs are what keep us from visiting WDW more often. I had gotten a pin # offer emailed to me but it wouldn’t allow me to book it online. I usually book WDW trips online but, this time, I had to call in to use the pin # offer. The CM asked me if I needed help with any other part of our booking and I said ‘no’ because I wasn’t thinking it through at the time. :rotfl:

As the days have gone by, I realized I needed to book the Magical Express (ME) bus transportation to and from the airport. I signed into My Disney Experience (MDE) but I didn’t see a way to book the ME bus online. I happened upon a question on the Disney Moms Board that addressed online booking and the answer provided a link to the online reservation for ME.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/airport-transportation-reservation/

After finding that answer, I began searching all over online as I thought of questions and reservations I needed to make and I found help in various places. This kept me from calling WDW reservations every day, although I am sure they would have been polite and helped just fine if I had.

I began searching out activities, at the WDW World site, that would need reservations. I made a dinner reservation for the Candlelight dinner and lunch at Trails End easily enough. After looking around the Community board and landing on a thread about the changes in Fast Passes, I realized I needed to look into FP+ more because I didn’t really understand it.

From the looks of it, I cannot add FP to My Disney Experience until I add/link my tickets to my account. We have “old” tickets that are non expiring but we were not sure of how many days were on them after all this time. If they were unused, we could use them for a future trip with our adult children. So, we ordered basic passes from Undercover Tourist and they will arrive next week. When they arrive, I will add/link them to MDE and look at the FP+ options.

I assumed our MagicBands would be mailed to us automatically but I wasn’t confident in that assumption. I found information at Allears with a link to order what color we would want. After I customized the MagicBands and saved the information, they were added to MDE account. Now I can see them there when I sign into the account.

I thought we would have to pay for them but I have found that you do not pay for them if you are staying on-property. This is all new to me as it has been a few years since our last trip. I have seen complaints about the new system as “micromanaging” your vacation and I am beginning to feel that way as well.

Some years back, I had been watching for a free dining offer and, when I saw one come up, I booked DH and myself a six day trip with room and free dining, 2 x 2 day park tickets, and airfare for $1,200.00. That was our first trip without the kids. We have a tendency to compare all other trip costs to WDW to that trip. Which is a bad idea because those days are gone.

This trip is booked with a 20% off discount on Value Room Only. I have always wanted to stay at the Pop Century so this is the trip to try Pop. Eight nights will be $965.00. 5 day non-parkhopper tickets are $617.98 from Undercover Tourist. Airfare is $674.40. We were trying to keep this trip at $2,000.00 (not including food and souvenirs) and we are at $2,257.18. I still need to book a park & fly hotel. I will be taking the tickets we have from previous trips to find out how many days we have left on them. I expect we will have one or two days on various old tickets that can be used in future. If we knew, for sure, what we had on those old tickets, we would have probably saved ourselves the $618.00 in tickets this trip, putting us below the $2,000.00 budget. I am not as organized as I used to be.

I have been following a thread by elaine amj about using Dining Credits and a spreadsheet to keep track of meals. While we won’t be using Dining Credits this trip, I do like how she has kept track of the details of the dining portion of her trip and I will be trying to do this.

So the planning goes on....

Congrats on your upcoming trip. :)
I am a HUGE fan of Pop Century and have called it my Official Disney Home...
With your dining plan you do get a FREE Refill mug you can use at the hotel and we find the magical express to be worth it because you don't have to drag your luggage when you get to MCO, you just go to the buses! Disney takes care of the rest! You also get cool Disney Luggage tags as well.

We also get park hopper, if you want to go to more than 1 park a day you will need the park hopper (add on). Make sure you make dinner reservations as well since you are under 180 day mark and reservations can go fast. We learned it the hard way on our first trip back in 2005.

You can make the dinner reservations on disneyworld.com now.

Thank you! I will take all the help I can get! :thumbsup2

Today, our tickets arrived (5 days earlier than expected), and I have received ME tags and WDW 'welcome' information. I am getting excited! :hyper:

I added the tickets to MDE and now I can look into FastPass+.

The Magic Bands have arrived. I still want to make a few dinner reservations (may be too late now) but things are falling into place. I need to start packing but I see Orlando's weather has been fluctuating so clothing choices will be interesting. :scratchin

I had 2 Disney gift cards that I put toward my reservation. I have never done that before. My instructions were to keep the gift cards in case something should happen and need to cancel. Those credits will be put back on the cards. That is interesting. ;)

10 days and counting! pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter