Trip Report: YC/Portobello/Disneymoon 4.23.07; COMPLETE as of 6.3.07!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yay! I actually had to write it out that way for my officiant because he wasn't as familiar with it as we were! The only people who "got it" at the wedding was me, my dad, and my brother. We all giggled kind of quietly and told each other about it later. :rotfl2:

Just need to say that "the princess bride" is one of my absolute all time fav movies! what a nice a touch for your wedding! (my younger sister and I love quoting that sentence-using the "MAWAGE" voice, of course...)

Randy's fotos are beautiful. he captured your day so well. You so happy and relaxed! congrats!

Love your vows!

The movie quote is more familiar to me this way; "Mawage. Mawage is whot bwings us hewe... todawy"

lmao! i love that movie and what a fun thing to include ... it would have totally made me laugh to hear that (which would be a good thing. I'm hoping something funny happens when I'm getting married so I laugh - that way I won't cry TOO much!).

btw, I LOVE your dress!!! it looks so elegant and simple and probably was pretty cool in the heat huh? you're a beautiful bride!

i love the bit about the milk and the guinness and video games, cracked me up!

lmao! i love that movie and what a fun thing to include ... it would have totally made me laugh to hear that (which would be a good thing. I'm hoping something funny happens when I'm getting married so I laugh - that way I won't cry TOO much!).

btw, I LOVE your dress!!! it looks so elegant and simple and probably was pretty cool in the heat huh? you're a beautiful bride!

When I first started shopping for a dress, I tried on some of the bigger, poofier(is that a word??) dresses but with all the layers of crinolin and such, they were super hot! And I get hot REALLY easily so I knew that wasn't the way to go. :rotfl:

If you cry, it'll be out of love, so I'm sure your DH would understand. :hug:

Now that the hard stuff was done, let the party begin! :cool1: At this point, things get a teeny bit confusing because no one really told me the order of the post-ceremony stuff. BM says that you can clearly hear me on the video several times saying, “wait, what are we supposed to be doing now?”

Lesson learned: Unless you have a clearly defined schedule ironed out with your coordinator in advance, you’ll sort of be at her mercy.

We, for example, did our first dance (more to come on that), started to take formal pics, got interrupted to do the cake cutting and toast (more to come on that!), did our second dance, finished our formal pics, then bundled everyone off to the limo. I had no idea what was going on and there are several pics of me looking a little…confused.

Our first dance went…awry…because while we did bring our own boom box, CDs, and batteries, somehow the boom box switch got turned on and left on all night. End result? We hit play and…nothing happened! So I had to run over to the violinist…
Askingviolinist.jpg

…and ask her if she knew how to play “You’ve Got a Friend in Me” from Toy Story. Um, no, she didn’t. I asked her if she had any suggestions, and she went with “Can You Feel the Love Tonight” from the Lion King. By the way, this was the only time I heard her clearly. I know she was there, and I know she sounded lovely, but I was so focused on other things that I didn’t get a chance to really enjoy her.

Lesson learned: If you have a violinist, don’t stress too much on song choices because you’ll be too busy to hear her/him anyway!

Our first dance. I LOVE this photo. I loved all of Randy’s photos that were artistic.
Aristicdancing.jpg

The beginning of our formal photos:
Everyone.jpg

Moments later, someone waves at us from the boardwalk. Everyone waves back. I think the resulting picture is adorable.
Everyonewaving.jpg

We get waved over to cut the cake before it starts to melt. Here’s us pre-toast.
Toastingwithcake-1.jpg

I pick up my glass and notice that all the glasses look awfully clear. Apparently, the bartender/pour guy misread Juliana’s instructions. Instead of just me, my dad, and my grandma getting Sprite, he poured enough Sprite for EVERYONE! :laughing: This led to a very funny moment (unfortunately not caught on camera, I don’t think) where Juliana, Karen, and the bar guy try to surreptitiously toss the contents of the glasses (the Sprite) into the bushes with flicks of their wrists. Hilarious! :lmao:

Lesson learned: See above lesson about sometimes people getting confused.

Us actually toasting
TheToast.jpg

We go back to some formal pics when Juliana comes running up, all out of breath. The sweetheart had STOLEN a CD player from someone who worked at the resort so we could have our first dance! HA HA HA HA HA She did return it, so I guess it was more of a borrow. :) In any case, we got to dance again, this time to our real song. I told everyone the first one was just our dress rehearsal. :thumbsup2

OK, now’s time for me to just post pics, because the ceremony is pretty much complete at this point.

Yay for playful pics with the bros!
Brotherlylove.jpg

This is us doing “the Freddy.” We used to watch Camp Beverly Hills over and over when we were on summer break and always did the Freddy. Does anyone else have any clue what I’m talking about??
DoingtheFreddy.jpg

My dad’s favorite color is yellow so he wore a yellow T-shirt underneath his suit. He also wore sneakers, which Randy took a special picture of. My dad ALWAYS wears sneakers and this weird old fishing hat. I nixed the hat but allowed the sneakers. I’m so good at compromise. :rotfl:
Sillydad.jpg

Remember how our wedding day was also my grandmother’s wedding anniversary? We presented her with this card so she would know that she was special that day too.
CardforGma.jpg

OMG! I love Troop Beverly Hills!! I definitely know what the Freddy is! Hahaha. I love that movie so much!

The Freddy is classic. Timeless. Enduring...

...just like Shelley Long and Troop Beverly Hills! :rotfl2:

Just some quick photos that I especially enjoyed from Randy. I think I mentioned this somewhere else, but whomever you decide on for photography, be sure to tell them what style you like. I assumed Randy would do primarily "artistic" shots (like the ones I love below) but there weren't as many as I would've hoped for because I didn't tell him that's what I liked. Oops!

Lesson learned: talk to your photographer about what style, shots, look, etc. you have in mind.

StevekissingBandW.jpg

Sunglassesreflection.jpg

(What's that in his sunglasses? Why, it's me!)

Ringsandbouquet.jpg

Requestedshot.jpg

This is "our shot" that we requested in all our photo shoots. This one is sort of shadowy, but I like it anyway.

And of course, the one from my siggy, which I think is my favorite.
Soinlove.jpg

If you have the time or interest, here's the link to Randy's photos.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=2890516
There are also several more on the CD that he didn't upload to the site, which was nice (I was primarily worried that there weren't very many pics of the cake, which I loved, until I got the CD and realized there were more).

The first set (where my name is spelled wrong; lol) is the color shots. The second is the B&W.

And so the wedding was over. The honeymoon was still to come! Don't worry; I'll be much more brief on that. Throw up some pictures, add in some advice, and call it a day.

Wow your photos are awesome- he did a great job. It didnt hurt that the ppl in it looked amazing as well!

My brother and I use to always watch Troop Beverly Hills. Infact it was one of the movies that my parents banned us from renting becuase we rented it so often. So I know all about "the Freddy". That picture is hillarious.

The picture of you with your brothers is very cute :goodvibes

I want that cake!! Is that an option for intimates...or did you upgrade? I love it!

I just asked my planner if she could add a splash of purple because that's my favorite color (obviously!) and the all-white cake wasn't doing it for me. That's what the bakery came up with, and I loved it! I made sure to ask my planner to tell me if it was going to cost extra and in this case, it didn't.Oh, and it's buttercream, not fondant. I don't remember them asking me which I wanted, but I'm not a fan of fondant so it all worked out.

By the way, for anyone who may send one of my pics along to request that their cake look similar, please please don't mention my name or my planner's; I don't want to get her in trouble if she was supposed to charge me or whatever. I'll even make it easy for ya. Show them this shot, which is a closeup of the cake but doesn't show my face or hers...

CakeCrop.jpg

(I left it super big so you can see the detail. Close up, it's just a bunch of three dots. From far away, it's Mickey!)

Thanks! :thumbsup2

My brother and I use to always watch Troop Beverly Hills. Infact it was one of the movies that my parents banned us from renting becuase we rented it so often. So I know all about "the Freddy". That picture is hillarious.

We watched that movie a lot, but our "banned to play while our parents were home" was Herbie. We LOVED LOVED Herbie and would watch it over and over and over and...well, you get the idea. I guess the 'rents got tired of it?? *gasp* When my brothers came to visit a few months ago, we busted it out and...you guessed it! We still knew ALL the words, even though we hadn't watched it for over a decade. DH thought we were nuts. :lmao:

But at least he understood when I got all excited at what I found outside the car stunt show thingy at MGM.
Honeymoon066.jpg

Ah, true love.

Wow everything looks amazing. Everything seem to fall into perfect place for you even with the few mis-steps. Congrats once again.

The night of the wedding was very chill; I had planned it that way because I knew the day would be so rush rush. We took a dip in the hot tub, rented Muppets the Movie and just enjoyed each other’s company. Steve even ordered a surprise of strawberries dipped in chocolate, which was very sweet because he never remembers to do stuff like that!
Honeymoon011.jpg

When Steve talked to concierge about it, they said “oh, don’t worry about it,” which he took to mean it would be comped because it was our wedding, but alas, no, we were charged the $32.50 for it. Ah, well. Curiously, the next day after we had checked out, they called us to say that we had not picked up our complimentary bottle of champagne that we knew nothing about. I’m a little confused on why they wouldn’t just comp our strawberries and leave it at that, since they were cheaper than the champagne, but oh, well. :confused:

This is my most important lesson learned: I know people have said this before, but I didn’t take it to heart AT ALL and wound up a little disappointed: Seriously, seriously, don’t expect any pixie dust on your honeymoon. We got very nice well wishes from people walking by, and a dessert or two on the house, but didn’t see hide nor hair of any FastPasses, congratulatory phone calls from Mickey, free Mickey treats, or any of that. I was a little irritated at first but realized that Steve wasn’t because he wasn’t expecting anything at all. That’s sort of the danger of reading trip reports: you know in advance what other people are getting and can get wrapped up in the hopes of receiving stuff as well. Steve didn’t know what to expect, so he was pleased the entire time. I definitely learned that lesson! :rolleyes:

The next morning we checked out of Yacht Club and later that day, into Riverside, which we fell in love with, as I mentioned. :love: Even their hidden Mickeys were cuter! (check out the bedspread)
Honeymoon033.jpg

Honeymoon071.jpg

Then we were off to meet my brothers for our Keys to the Kingdom tour. We learned behind-the-scenes stuff about Disney in general, Disney the man, hidden Mickeys, folk lore, etc. etc. I had been on it before, but it’s different each time depending on who you’re guide is, so it was fun. They even had little ear buds this time so we could hear Aaron without him having to shout over crowds. I highly recommend any of the tours we went on, and I'm sure the other tours are fantastic as well. :thumbsup2
BrothersatMK.jpg

Honeymoon017.jpg

We also learned that the uniforms they use today are the only original uniform style left from when Disney opened the parks. Unfortunately, this is the last bunch to get them as they’re being re-vamped to match DL in the next little while. So go take a tour while you can!
Honeymoon019.jpg

After the tour, we bid a fond farewell to my brothers. Here’s where our timing stinks. We spent longer than I had anticipated riding attractions with my bros, so we didn’t have time to go back to the hotel to nap or hydrate or any of that good stuff. By the time we got to MGM for our Hollywood and Vine ADRs, we were miserable. Steve and I never fight—ever—but we were sniping at each other like no other because we were hot, tired, and generally in bad moods. :sad2: It didn’t help that when we got to Hollywood, they made us wait for ten minutes past our ADRs, but when we got inside there was only one other family there! What’s that all about? We did not enjoy Hollywood and Vine, their service OR their food.

Lesson learned: Look up your restaurants before you go on the dining thread on Dis. I had originally booked the ADRs so we could see Fantasmic but when I made the reservations, they said they didn’t offer that package anymore. Instead of being patient and calling back after I had done more research, I just went ahead and booked it. So we spent $48 on food that we could’ve gotten more variety and better taste from Golden Corral, Ryans, etc.

By the time we got back to the hotel, I felt awful. Headache, sick to my stomach, dizzy, you name it. I had to lay down for awhile which ate up two hours or so. :sick:

Lesson learned: If you aren’t used to Florida’s heat, or even if you think you are, take lots of breaks and drink lots of water.

The rest of the week, we made sure to stop back at the hotel after lunch and recharge our batteries. It took some time out of our schedule, but at least I didn’t get sick again.

Up next: our MK photo shoot, Treasures of the World Showcase tour, and lunch at Le Cellier! :woohoo:

Great report, and I love your pictures. :) I agree with you about H&V. We ate there on our last trip in 2006, primarily for the Fantasmic Dinner Package. The service was so-so, and the food was worse. It was very crowded and we waited 30 minutes past our ADR time, even though we arrived 10 mins early! By the time we got in there, we were hot, tired and fed up! :sad2: We enjoyed Fantasmic from the reserved seating area, but I'll never eat at H&V again, especially now if they don't even offer the Fantasmic package.

Looking forward to hearing more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter