TRON Ride Testing in Progress

I wish but I doubt it... They like breaking my heart lol
Same! We are going for Epcot's anniversary this year because that's always been my favorite park but after that, I don't see a trip for us for the foreseeable future (maybe not ever). Count me in as one where most of the magic is gone - too much nickel and diming. Genie+/LL was the nail in my coffin, so to speak. If we hadn't already had our Epcot trip planned for several years, we wouldn't be going at all. I would LOVE to ride this, but it won't be enough to bring me back. I never thought I would be one to post something like that on this board. :sad1:

After Guardians made me sick as a dog, I am REALLY looking forward to Tron, which is hopefully more of a straightforward coaster without the additional car rotation.

After Guardians made me sick as a dog, I am REALLY looking forward to Tron, which is hopefully more of a straightforward coaster without the additional car rotation.
there's no rotating to Tron, and not a particularly scary coaster. Just a cool themed ride.

We watched a stream last night where the vloggers rode GotC 4x for a D23 Gold event. Tough to experience it via video since it's dark, but it looked doable for us. Many of us with motion sickness or fear of heights/coasters. Very short ride.

We saw Tron under construction during our visit to Disney in 2019. The train was not running which seemed like poor planning. A better plan would have been to temporarily reroute the train track such that you could still ride it. Was always a convenient way to get from the back of the park to the front entrance.

The Tron ride looks like 8-10 cars and therefore only16-20 people per ride. While I would assume there will be multiple cars going around the track, I wonder if that will be sufficient capacity to handle all of those wanting to ride? Hopefully this isn't going to turn out like that Star Wars ride where the entire day's capacity is spoken for within a few minutes of the park opening each day.

Not sure where they could have rerouted the train? Only option would have been to move it further out, but that puts it right beside a busy street and and still would have had construction traffic to deal with. If COVID had not happened.... it and Tron would be up and running today. Yes looking back now, completing the entrance and the section needed to get the train operational would have made more sense. Really would have expected that to have been one of their first tasks anyway....

Most of what I've seen, says it's an exact clone of the Tokyo Disneyland version.... so that's right around 1600 guest per hour. Which is in line with the other rides of this type at WDW. One good aspect of it being a clone, the attraction should not be plagued by operational issues like RotR is. But yeah I think you can count on it selling out pretty quickly for the first couple of years. Only saving grace is MK has a LOT more attractions than the other parks, and certain guest will prioritize other, calmer attractions for their family.

there's no rotating to Tron, and not a particularly scary coaster. Just a cool themed ride.

We watched a stream last night where the vloggers rode GotC 4x for a D23 Gold event. Tough to experience it via video since it's dark, but it looked doable for us. Many of us with motion sickness or fear of heights/coasters. Very short ride.
It's extremely short but felt like an eternity for me, haha. Once the launch happens you pretty much don't stop moving, and the car is often moving in opposite directions than where the track is taking you. It made me extremely disoriented. Sad because I think I'd do fine if the cars didn't rotate. Maybe they'll add that option like Mission Space: Green. :P

Not sure where they could have rerouted the train? Only option would have been to move it further out, but that puts it right beside a busy street and and still would have had construction traffic to deal with. If COVID had not happened.... it and Tron would be up and running today. Yes looking back now, completing the entrance and the section needed to get the train operational would have made more sense. Really would have expected that to have been one of their first tasks anyway....

Most of what I've seen, says it's an exact clone of the Tokyo Disneyland version.... so that's right around 1600 guest per hour. Which is in line with the other rides of this type at WDW. One good aspect of it being a clone, the attraction should not be plagued by operational issues like RotR is. But yeah I think you can count on it selling out pretty quickly for the first couple of years. Only saving grace is MK has a LOT more attractions than the other parks, and certain guest will prioritize other, calmer attractions for their family.
Shanghai is where they have Tron. But I think I heard in the recent earnings call that the park, along with HK is shutting down for the Vid, again. It's been like 4 years for me, but interestingly, Tron wasn't close to being the most popular in SDL, allowing me to ride it 16x in a few days. It went Soaring, Mine Train (both replicas), and then perhaps Tron along with Roaring Rapids and Pan, and still was often comparable wait times to an Astro Orbiter. The Chinese are even less impressed by Pirates, Battle of Sunken Treasure (often around 15 min wait or less)... Which many one of us have as bucket list international Disney attractions, along with Mystic Manor at Hong Kong, Pooh's Hunny Hunt & Journey to the Center of the Earth - and really several attractions in Tokyo.

This article highlights some of the cool disney rides in the world:

https://www.thecoasterkings.com/20-best-disney-rides-in-the-world/2/

It's extremely short but felt like an eternity for me, haha. Once the launch happens you pretty much don't stop moving, and the car is often moving in opposite directions than where the track is taking you. It made me extremely disoriented. Sad because I think I'd do fine if the cars didn't rotate. Maybe they'll add that option like Mission Space: Green. :P
I took my wife and her folks on Orange, I think it was 2011, and now we aren't even allowed to ride Green. To us, there isn't even an attraction over there by Test Track. I think I nearly got sick on Orange years ago. Which is sort of weird since I can go on the biggest/fastest rides, but I won't ever go on Tea Cups or Alien Spin.

It's a good point that MK has many more attractions to help alleviate crowds for Tron. But the big difference between Tron at SDL and MK is that in SDL, Tron is the centerpiece of the land, and at MK, it will be tucked away in the back of Tomorrowland as an afterthought... meaning without some reconfiguring of walkways or the Space Mt. giftshop, there may be a lot of congestion from both sides, in front of Space Mt and the pathways from Goofini. And If you recall when Mine Train debuted in 2014, the last time a major new attraction came to MK, there were some serious wait times. And still today, 8 years later, probably 90% of guests still head to Mine Train 1st at RD. Add to the fact that Tron is maybe the most anticipated attraction at WDW ever, given it's been 5 years, heralded as the fastest Disney Coaster ever.

They have been doing the BG's instead of SB for the new attractions, though, since Rise for the first several months. I'm sure the paid LLs will be popular. So to begin with at least, it'll be the lottery system. I'm probably in the minority that prefers standby only, since I have faster legs than fingers.

The 40th anniversary of the movie Tron is this year so it would be cool if Disney opened it to celebrate that. However, the anniversary is technically in July and we know it isn't happening that soon so I doubt they'll bother. My guess is next year to keep the excitement going.

The lack of upcoming attractions may be another impediment to cranking out Tron asap as well. As far as we know, there's no other attraction on the docket, right? Other than EP renovations, Moana fun with water. Maybe something new will be announced Sept. for D23, like something in Dinoland for AK's 25th celebration. But seems too late for something significant since next April is the 25th anniversary. Hopefully not just going to wait a little to have Nemo play reboot or another temporary water show. We love those. I think we watched Kitetails once.

The lack of upcoming attractions may be another impediment to cranking out Tron asap as well. As far as we know, there's no other attraction on the docket, right? Other than EP renovations, Moana fun with water. Maybe something new will be announced Sept. for D23, like something in Dinoland for AK's 25th celebration. But seems too late for something significant since next April is the 25th anniversary. Hopefully not just going to wait a little to have Nemo play reboot or another temporary water show. We love those. I think we watched Kitetails once.

Well that renovation of Splash can't be put off for too much longer... ;)

But even if they announced a new land or attractions at D23 this summer.... it's generally four years or more till we see these attractions go live. A change over like Splash, I wouldn't expect to go much beyond two years... unless they have to gut it and start all over. I can see delaying Tron a few months, but nothing to fill the gap between now and what comes next.

I don't know how much theming is left in the building, but this outdoor work can go really quickly. My will guess is last quarter of this year.

Well that renovation of Splash can't be put off for too much longer... ;)

But even if they announced a new land or attractions at D23 this summer.... it's generally four years or more till we see these attractions go live. A change over like Splash, I wouldn't expect to go much beyond two years... unless they have to gut it and start all over. I can see delaying Tron a few months, but nothing to fill the gap between now and what comes next.

I don't know how much theming is left in the building, but this outdoor work can go really quickly. My will guess is last quarter of this year.
Do we have any real idea of when the Splash reno is going to start? People flocked to the attraction like it was going to happen tomorrow, had shirts made up to leave the attraction alone. It seems like that was announced so long ago, people are forgetting that it was even announced. Meanwhile the new Universal entire park will have finished.

Do we have any real idea of when the Splash reno is going to start? People flocked to the attraction like it was going to happen tomorrow, had shirts made up to leave the attraction alone. It seems like that was announced so long ago, people are forgetting that it was even announced. Meanwhile the new Universal entire park will have finished.

Yeah if I had a dollar each time I've ridden Splash or Spaceship earth "one last time"....

Same was true of Great Movie ride, went nearly a decade with rumors of being shutdown... till it was.

For now they can use... waiting for Tron to get finished. Once that's done?

Yeah if I had a dollar each time I've ridden Splash or Spaceship earth "one last time"....

Same was true of Great Movie ride, went nearly a decade with rumors of being shutdown... till it was.

For now they can use... waiting for Tron to get finished. Once that's done?
Well, Spaceship, hopefully is now safe for a while. Not sure if deserved, but I still sort of blame Siemens for pulling the long time sponsorship. Seems like the excuse to start some of the modifications. I recall talking to a a Siemens employee about why they pulled the plug. He thought the company was doing just fine at that time, and just felt like saving the cost.

Although the change from GM to Chevrolet could have kept the old Test Track theming alone. Given Chevy is part of GM. I don't flat out skip TT on trips, but I no longer have to ride it 3x per day at EP on SR. I only went once, even though SR was less than 5 min last week.

A popular guess seems to be towards the end of this year for Tron opening. Do we have a lot of precedence of them picking that time of year? Not that it matters, they could pick any time they feel like it. But we're just putting in our predictions for fun. Rat on 10/1/21 doesn't entirely count given they were rumored to have been finished with it for some time and wanted to coincide with the 50th, to have something special for the date. Rise 12/5/19 doesn't count because it was only delayed from Sept, with MF, because of last min. issues.

It sort of seems like they like to pick May. May 28, 2014 Mine Train, May 27, 2017 Flight of Passage, May 27, 2022 Guardians of the Galaxy. It could be that they want to extend the start of summer bookings, and don't need to spruce up the busy holidays/winter break or near various spring breaks/Easter. Seem to remember they use to also have like a super late park night during Memorial Day wknd too. I used to try to book end of April/early May to catch Flower Garden, but avoid the spike near Memorial.

Well, Spaceship, hopefully is now safe for a while. Not sure if deserved, but I still sort of blame Siemens for pulling the long time sponsorship. Seems like the excuse to start some of the modifications. I recall talking to a a Siemens employee about why they pulled the plug. He thought the company was doing just fine at that time, and just felt like saving the cost.

Although the change from GM to Chevrolet could have kept the old Test Track theming alone. Given Chevy is part of GM. I don't flat out skip TT on trips, but I no longer have to ride it 3x per day at EP on SR. I only went once, even though SR was less than 5 min last week.

When I was a kid, our local amusement park had a car ride... was an electrical car. Speedway and Test Track were so cool because they were "real" cars. Now with cars going electric, I wonder how long before Disney makes the switch?

As far as when attractions open... I think it's mostly when they are finished. I can see holding something close to an anniversary or holiday. If Tron is on track to open on Sept 10th, I could see them holding it to Oct 1st - as that is also EPCOT anniversary. But if it's not going to be ready till Nov 15th... I'd expect them to just open it.

I would imagine any large construction projects can have all sorts of delays on when it is completed. Bad weather that no one can prevent could delay certain aspects of construction. Testing also takes place to make sure the ride functions correctly/safely. Even if Disney has this ride in another location, I would imagine there are still various technical challenges to getting it ready. I doubt there is any grand plan about when it opens and relates more to when it is ready.

When I was a kid, our local amusement park had a car ride... was an electrical car. Speedway and Test Track were so cool because they were "real" cars. Now with cars going electric, I wonder how long before Disney makes the switch?

As far as when attractions open... I think it's mostly when they are finished. I can see holding something close to an anniversary or holiday. If Tron is on track to open on Sept 10th, I could see them holding it to Oct 1st - as that is also EPCOT anniversary. But if it's not going to be ready till Nov 15th... I'd expect them to just open it.
If they were able to push it through by this Fall. I might have to arrange my very 1st solo trip to WDW. Our AP expires in Nov. (don't think we're going to renew) and current family trip is in early Sept. Wife doesn't plan on riding it anytime soon.

Would be nice if the MK version opened a SR line. There was one for Tron Cycle Power Run. But it was pretty discreet, and not a designated SR line, you had to ask CM each time to divert from main line, if I recall correctly. MK needs something with a SR line, each of the other 3 parks do:).

I haven't been on Speedway since May 2011. I only remember because it was my first trip with my wife. I used to go on it each trip. Between the old Stich location and Speedway, seems to be the center of many people's desire for change. I sort of enjoy watching people on Speedway from Peoplemover, even if I don't ride it anymore. In terms of EV's instead of gas powered vehicles and Disney getting with the times or appropriately befitting the name "Tomorrowland," it seems to be a huge undertaking to redo these large scale attractions, vs. adding Encanto features to DL's Small World.

I agree, Disney seems more focused on making a splash with big/new rides instead of updating the existing ones. Part of the challenge with converting those Speedway cars to run on battery is the long recharge time and limited range. I can recall talking to someone from Disney about the cars used at Test Track and most people don't realize how much wear/tear that type of ride puts on the cars and they require constant maintenance to keep them operating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter