• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tropical attire...Would this be too weird/dorky?

kangaroodle

DVC Member
I was just wondering what you all thought about this...I was thinking of sewing matching tropical shirts for my husband and son and then using the same material, sew matching sun dresses for me and my daughter. The kids ages are 3 and 6. I know they would think it's fun but does that seem too weird? Let me know what you think...gotta start sewing for the May cruise if I decide to go ahead with these.....:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

The daughters and mom in matching tropical dress and the dad/son in matching shirts, I thought it looked cute. Never saw an entire family in the same pattern but I am sure it would be fine!

I think it's a great idea! Make sure you get a photo of the group. The lasting memories of your trip will be priceless!!

I say go for it. Do while the kids think it is wonderful. I wish we could do it now but with a teenager she would die!

We did that!

I hope it wasn't weird or dorky! I ordered matching dresses for me and DD and a matching shirt for DH. We were all wearing the same pattern - I looked for a something that wasn't too feminine. DH doesn't usually do the 'matchy-matchy' thing but didn't mind. With everyone in tropical wear it just made us stand out a little more and we looked like we 'belonged' together.

Are you kidding......I'm thinking about asking you to do a set for my family!;) ;)

mkaffman You beat me to it.I was just thinking the same thing. You will look adorable and the picures will be awesome. I envy your ability. I have thought about ordering them for our family of five but it was too expensive to wear just once.

Originally posted by SC Minnie
I ordered matching dresses for me and DD and a matching shirt for DH.

Do you mind telling me where you ordered them? Was it online or through a catalog? I've been searching for some great tropical wear!:Pinkbounc

Didn't DIS'er TSTOBB have matching tropical wear for the entire family......I thought I remember this from one of his pics. they looked cute, but I know my family with older teens would just laught at me if I suggested matching outfits!!

MJ

I ordered them from hilohatties.com The quality was very good. We also wore them on the Wonder in Oct. DD's dress had gotten too short but we found another dress that was similar.

(I hope this link works)

do it!! Be sure to print some business cards as many will be asking where to purchase them.

Originally posted by SC Minnie
I ordered them from hilohatties.com The quality was very good. We also wore them on the Wonder in Oct. DD's dress had gotten too short but we found another dress that was similar.

(I hope this link works)

THANKS for the link! Great site. I'm already planning to buy my family's clothes!:bounce:

MJ, I was thinking the same thing... they were all dressed in the same tropical print and it looked cool!!

Go for it while the kids are still young and like stuff like that, before too long, they'll think it's too goofy to do!!

I still remember (a long, long time ago) when I was about 8 or 9 my cousins and me all wearing red/white/blue dresses on July 4th!!
Jeanny :-)

I don't think it's dorky at all. Actually, I was planning the same thing for DD2, DH and I. I sew (not that well), but my mom is a great seamstress, so she's going to make them for us. I can't wait. I figured that it would make great family pictures.

Originally posted by kangaroodle
I was just wondering what you all thought about this...I was thinking of sewing matching tropical shirts for my husband and son and then using the same material, sew matching sun dresses for me and my daughter. The kids ages are 3 and 6. I know they would think it's fun but does that seem too weird?

Not wierd at all. Mark and I wore matching outfits on Tropical night. On the Member Cruise BethC and her family were in matching tropical outfits from the Disney Catalog and looked great. Go for it!

I just checked out hilohatties.com and I love the Blue Hawaii print! What a GREAT idea! They had matching shirts for the Men and Boys and cute matching dresses (same print) for Mom's and daughters:)

Yes, we matched!
We got shirts for the boys & dresses for the girls at Downtown Disney on our previous trip - they were sold out of the little girls sizes so I made my 1st attempt at sewing by taking a ladies large & resizing it down for our DD. The pattern was the same but the girls wore red & the boys wore blue.
going1.JPG

Thanks for posting the pic again....I knew I was not imagining things!!!!

When my kids were small we would dress alike, but as I said in the earlier post....now they would laugh me off the ship!!!! I can't complain, though, as they will still let me walk in the mall next to them and not a few feet behind!!! And, I even get hugs and kisses in front of their friends!!!!

MJ

Our family will be wearing matching dresses and shirts for tropical night. I ordered them last year from the Disney Catalog. They have Mickey with a surf board standing next to an old woody-style paneled car. Our kids are the same ages (I got your PM and sent one back before reading this). We'll be easy to spot on the cruise. I was wondering the same thing, if we'd look like we stepped out of the catalog, but it will be fun (and no one will know us anyway). Go for it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter