*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

Looks good not a bad tread eaither. Not too aggressive but not exactly a hyway tire eaither. Good luck with them. A lot of stuff is sold out or hard to find now. Dam covid.

Looks good not a bad tread either. Not too aggressive but not exactly a hyway tire either.
The tread is one of the things I liked. I have always run HT (highway tread) tires on my trucks. The truck currently has BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A tires. They have a fairly aggressive tread. We don't get a lot of snow here and the truck doesn't go off road much, so I prefer the lower noise and better traction on the highway of these less aggressive tires.

j

The front tires were new, but the rears (all 4) are getting close to the wear indicators. I started looking around for new tires, dreading the $250 a piece I was expecting.

A reminder I didn't want! I fruitlessly look online about once a week for new tires for the truck. The current ones are about to be qualified as racing slicks, but I can't find any I like. Something to work on tonight!

I used to run Firestone Transforce HT on two of my older trucks. They were recommended by my tire guy as a great highway tire for towing bigger stuff. He said most of the local business guys were running them on their work trucks. Low cost, long life and drove good. When I needed to replace them after 60,000 miles, he said he couldn't get them anymore. That's when I switched to the Yokohama Geolander G056. The 2nd set were on my last truck when I sold it this summer.

Firestone's site says they still sell the Transforce HT and a Transforce HT2. Not sure what the difference is. The description on the Firestone site reads almost the same for both. I would definitely consider them again. They aren't as good a value as they used to be. TireRack has them for $207.

I have had General Grabber tires that didn't wear well. They were the factory tires and were garbage. I had to replace them with less than 30,000 miles and they drove like crap. Also tried a set of Pirelli Scorpions. They were horrible. They had no grip in the wet. I would get stuck on wet grass. I have only needed to get towed out of being stuck once in over 500,000 miles of driving trucks... until I had those Pirellis. Needed to get pulled 3 times in one race season when it rained and I couldn't park on pavement. I replaced the tires at 20,000 miles. Not because they were worn out, but because they were terrible. Put the Firestones on and I actually had some grip.

I've also done various Goodyears, BF Goodrich and Michelin tires, but I haven't found them worth the premium price. One exception is the Michelin Defender LTX tires I put on my wife's Explorer. My tire guy knows I raced and I complained about the tires that were on her car being noisy and handling like Jell-O. He had Michelins on sale and recommended the Defenders. They are fantastic. I didn't realize a regular SUV could handle this well. And they were only about $200.

j

Last edited:
I used to run Firestone Transforce HT on one of my older trucks. They were recommended by my tire guy as a great highway tire for towing bigger stuff. He said most of the local business guys were running them on their work trucks. Low cost, long life and drove good.

That website is great. I found a great deal on some Goodyear Wranglers. It feels good to complete the task finally, even if a Ford owner helped me :duck:

That website is great. I found a great deal on some Goodyear Wranglers. It feels good to complete the task finally, even if a Ford owner helped me :duck:
Which web site? SimpleTire or TireRack? Hopefully SimpleTire. TireRack is OK. They support a lot of local amateur racers, but the customer service at SimpleTire is great.

And glad I could help. I've raced a lot of things and have had all kinds of help from some of those other brands.

j

I'm anxiously waiting for our tires to wear down. The new F150 came with standard passenger rated tires. They handle things ok, but I'd much prefer the stiffer sidewalls of a good LT tire. Problem is, trying to replace perfectly good tires is a difficult sell for both DW and me! I'm thinking I'm still a good 2 camping seasons away from that point!

@Teamubr I am not sure how aggressive a tread you are after. For me when I am unloaded from the trailer a standard highway all season is like being on ice skates for a DRW when it comes to mud and snow. I liked the BFG All Terrain T/A tires for grip in snow and mud yet 2 years ago they where hard to find in stock. I bought the Faulken Wildpeak A/T3 and so far towing has been great. They been on the truck 2 years and 12k miles of driving and towing. We where looking at them recently and only now think over the winter it will be time to rotate the fronts to the inside rear as they are showing the typical wear for a DRW truck.

I think the Firestone HT looks like a good highway tire though, probably less noise then the wildpeak though really can't tell on the highway with the windows up.

As for the Faulken, I can say at the track off the gravel I have grip and what little snow we got last year was no issue for the tires. I feel they are on par with the tread on the BFG and with a 55k milage warrenty even on a truck I thought that is good.

Wranglers are what I have on Suburban and have for a couple cycles. :thumbsup2

And don't mind Teamubr and his GM-bias. I'm less than 1,000 from a quarter of a million miles on my Suburban.

Ed

And don't mind Teamubr and his GM-bias. I'm less than 1,000 from a quarter of a million miles on my Suburban.

All in good fun. Drive whatever makes you happy, but that doesn't mean we can't pull each other's leg. I'm a Suburban family too. My parents bought their first brand new vehicle, a 1986 Sub. They've had one ever since and gave me one of their old ones when I was in college. Now that I have the truck my wife inherited the Sub. She said absolutely not at first. Now she is on her third Sub and I don't think she's ever changing now.

I've never been a GM fan for personal vehicles, but from a racing perspective, you can't get a better HP/$ ratio. I crewed on a UMP Latemodel for a long time. Those were all GM based engines. Big horsepower for a fraction of a Ford. I grew up a Mopar fan and the Ford love has just been since I started road racing. Ford Performance support for their sanctioned drivers is great. For the kind of racing I did, there was zero support from GM. I really felt for those guys trying to make a Camaro competitive.

A top tier IMSA Mustang could be ordered from the Ford Performance catalog (GT350R) for $75,000. You still needed to add seat, safety equipment, radios and telemetry, but we built a new car from scratch (body in white) that had the best of everything we could do within the rules. That was about $125,000. We had a friend that was a car chief with an IMSA Pro team running Camaros at the time. They were spending $250,000-$300,000 to have a similarly competitive car. Everything had to be created in-house because there was no factory or aftermarket support.

Back to a Truck (and tire discussion)

My new truck tires were scheduled to be delivered today. Early this morning I got and email saying they were delayed until tomorrow. ot surprising given the season and all the on-line purchasing right now.

Then about 1100 this morning, I get the email below.

The funny part is it says the tires have already been delivered 6 hours in the future.

I'll let you know if the magically show up at 05:06PM. (I'll be a little freaked out of they do though)

j

Attachments

• 1607711019339.png
    1607711019339.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Then about 1100 this morning, I get the email below.
View attachment 543329

The funny part is it says the tires have already been delivered 6 hours in the future.

I'll let you know if the magically show up at 05:06PM. (I'll be a little freaked out of they do though)

j

I bet the delivery truck hit 88 miles per hour .....

giphy.gif

And all the craziness with the emails, guess what just showed up. All 4 at once.

Tread pattern looks as aggressive as the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A that are on it now. Certainly more aggressive than a highway tread, but it will match the fronts fairly well

20201211_144005_copy_2016x1134.jpg

Here are the BF Goodrich on the front. These look new.

20201211_144536_copy_2016x1134.jpg

j

Now get scrubbing that blue stuff off of them! Lol. At least you don't have to worry about if you will have the whitwalls showing or not, we had decisions back in the day......:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

I usually have the letters mounted in, but will probably do them out since the fronts are showing. I'll let the installers take care of the blue. ::yes::

j

Got the tires today. Evidently the Firestone in town doesn't have a balancing machine big enough for my wheels. I find this a bit bonkers being in small town Kansas (with tons of farmers ripping around all the time. Either way, I'll get an appointment with another shop and get it squared away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter