*Truck and Towing thread........ask your questions here.*

I finally found a shop...4th try for one that has the equipment to install my tires. 2 failed appointments from the front of house not knowing what the shop can't do. I think all my savings are sucked up in diesel and the place I finally found that has a nice gouge for installing outside tires.

Makes no sense these places can't/won't do a 3500. The 3rd place that turned me down said the lift wasn't big enough. I guess they don't have a jack and a long hose to do it in the driveway?!

Totally gobsmacked.

I finally found a shop...4th try for one that has the equipment to install my tires.
I've only been turned away when I needed a 4 wheel alignment on the truck, but there is one place in town that has the equipment. I had a problem that turned out to be a bad tie rod end, but the symptom was exactly like a tire out of balance. Vibration in the steering wheel, that was very speed specific. My local tire guy balance and rebalanced. He finally said take to a Ford dealer and he would pay for it since he thought it was his equipment not being able to handle the size and weight of the tires. Ford said the balance was fine, but identified a bad ball joint. I had checked all that at home and everything felt solid, no play. They showed me what they used. It was a 6 foot long bar under the spindle and a huge clamp to hold everything to find the play in the joint. A really big guy was pulling on the bar while someone else checks for play. On a regular car, you just grab the spindle and give it a twist and pull to see if you feel any clicks or play. The suspension components on these trucks are huge compared to a regular vehicle.

j

Last edited:
A little late here, so all the creek side sites where gone. You would think some kinda group was coming in. :)

My choices were backin sites 2,8,9 or one the pull thru in the 30's. I went with #9 since it was close to everyone else and lobby, bathrooms, etc. and mom will probably want to use those.

Looks like DS1 and DDiL may be coming as well. If so they will stay at the Mainstay across the street.

Funny thing, my mom stayed at the Mainstay last month and thought it was nice, and when she say the campground across the street she wondered if that was where we going stay in June.:)

PTP,

You don't even need a long air hose if the tires are aired up in the shop. A Jack and electric impact is all you need. I got an Electric impact on a BLack Friday tool deal for work. The price was right for work since the impact is not a daily use tool for my trade. After using it once in the shop, my wife is getting me one for Christmas since i was giddy about it. That tire shop must not need the work or didn't want to do the work. Seen those places.

I have the 1/2 and 3/8 dewalt impacts. They are awesome. Though sometimes having air is needed. It depends on how man ugga-chuggas the last person that put the wheels on used. Yes that is my technical term for how most tire techs put on rims.

I am happy my buddies shop can do dually alighments. Some machines are just not setup for that. His new one adjusts pretty quickly.

I have the 1/2 and 3/8 dewalt impacts. They are awesome. Though sometimes having air is needed. It depends on how man ugga-chuggas the last person that put the wheels on used. Yes that is my technical term for how most tire techs put on rims.

I am happy my buddies shop can do dually alighments. Some machines are just not setup for that. His new one adjusts pretty quickly.

Funny you mention Dewalt. I had a 1/2" Impact from Dewalt. It turned me off to electric powered uggalugs guns. It was a weak impact. Didn't work well. So I kept trucking with a pnuematic gun. I have a Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2" impact. That is a good gun for the price. Works well at everything I have thrown at it. The Electric/ Cordless impact I am talking about is a Ridgid 1/2 inch Octane Mid torque Impact. It was slick. It took off anything I through at it with ease. The only reason why I purchased was it came up in a tool group on Facebook. I said for $75 it's not as risky as $180. It was New but blemished stock tool outlet store. I purchased a Ridgid 5 tool kit for work since I found myself always looking for a drill or cordless saw for misc shop projects. So I picked it up. I was able to spin the lugs off my F350 with ease (160 Torque spec) Then I used it on the work vehicles. I was a changed opinion towards electric impacts. So when the wife asked what's for Christmas I said this is what I would like. She ordered a kit (tool, battery, charger and bag) set and offered I could use it before Christmas to install her snow tires on her car.

Most passager tires I got with the first uggalug setting forward. With my truck I check it at the first and if I feel it needs more the 2 setting. A good tire shop will ugg it to a certain point and the torque the final way down.

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless impact that DW picked up for me fathers day in 2016. It was intended for me to have for in case tire change needed on roadside. I was skeptical. However, I can honestly say I've been impressed. I have taken the rear tires off both of my tractors since then with sucker and it did just fine. If you don't know much about tractor tires, usually they are not changed but once every 10 years, so they are usually stuck pretty good. Most of my other cordless stuff if all Craftsman 19.2, including few flashlights, impact drill, x2 drills, skil saw, reciprocating saw, etc. I first got into them when Sears was still going strong back in 2005. I actually still have the flashlight and circular saw from that original set.

I have the same set of craftsman stuff. Well maybe 5 sets lol. Used them plenty over the years and there impact at the time had like 100 lbs more tourqe then any of the others. There probably all good now a days. If you need batteries, they sell a knock off lithium on amazon. You can get 2 for like 40 bucks. They work ok, im sure the pack is smaller, but there not 80$ a pop eaither.

I agree the older dewalt wasnt all that great. The newer one is much much better. I was planning to go with the Milwaukee which is the go-to for many shops now over snapon and matco cordless. But I could not pass up the deal. So far its had no issue, but this is the new 20v lithium, not that old 19v nicad impact.

I bought a set of the Lowes Kobalt 24 volt 4 years ago and could not be more pleased. I am a mechanic and used them daily on repairing CAT and John Deere equipment. Switching back to auto tech so they will be used there daily too. My air power tools are back up now.

We are thinking of taking a trip from michigan. Anyone have experience towing a 5900lb 26 ft travel trailer with a 2019 chevy silverado 1500. our towing capacity is 9300-9800. we are a little nervous. Any advice?

We are thinking of taking a trip from michigan. Anyone have experience towing a 5900lb 26 ft travel trailer with a 2019 chevy silverado 1500. our towing capacity is 9300-9800. we are a little nervous. Any advice?

Plan on taking your time. Do not plan on driving 85 mph. You will get some push from the big rigs on the highway, and if it is windy. Plan on fuel stops based on about 6mpg, remember you have a big aero brick behind you. Map out all your fuel stops, and google them, check aerial view, make sure it is easy to get in to and out of. Nothing worse than needing fuel and finding out you can not fit in to Grandpa's Gas and GO.

Advice, go slow. Mind you gas. Depending on you tank capacity, you will need frequent fill ups. Check your route, from nj there are some bridges/tunnles you can not bring propane over at all. Mind the traffic areas, you dont want to run out of fuel. And take your time, your not going to be able to keep up with the traffic, so take your time. Bathroom breaks and fule add lots of time to the trip. I did the nj to dw with a few overnights. So 2 overnights, the 3rd day we arive at the fort early. Your newer truck will do better then my 2012. You will be fine, have your stops and overnights booked before hand. Or have alternatives of you are doing it on the fly.

Your set up (TT and Truck) seems like a very good match. I wouldn't be worried about the truck and trailer. Hopefully you have a weight distribution hitch and sway control. Not sure what part of MI you are coming from, but I would imagine you will be coming down I-75. That is decent interstate all the way. Nashville and Atlanta are always busy, but the rest of the trip should be smooth.

What are your concerns? If you aren't as comfortable towing, practice is the key. The more you do it, the more confident you will get. As for distance, like others have said, take your time. If towing makes you anxious, take a break every couple of hours. Towing will also wear you out faster. It just takes more concentration and focus, especially if you are nervous about it. I would plan on only driving 6-8 hours a day, with breaks every few hours or as you feel you need. That may add a day driving, but you'll feel much better when you arrive.

If you are worried about breakdowns, Your truck is new enough that you should be good if you have kept up with routine maintenance. Trailer tires are usually the weakest point on a rig. If you tow long enough, you will have a flat on the trailer. There are 2 options. Join a good roadside assistance program (always a good idea regardless) or know how to change the tire yourself, have all the equipment you need and be physically able to do it. (by equipment- bottle jack or some way to get the flat tire off the ground, lug wrench with a long enough handle to break the lugs loose). I would also practice getting the spare tire out. Some are mounted on a nice bumper carrier with a lug nut or 2. Mine is underneath the trailer and uses a long rod to crank it down. (out of the way, but a PIA when you need it)

j

Last edited:
we are a little nervous. Any advice?
As others have said, take your time. Too many people drive for a couple hours, things are good, they get comfortable and start going a little faster, and a little faster.
You aren't saving more than a couple minutes time and your gas mileage will drop big time.
How far are you going from MI, what time of year are you traveling?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter