Twins? who's got them?

I have boy/girl twins that are 13 months! For those that are pregnant, I was induced at 38 weeks - baby A was 6 lbs 10 oz and B was 6 lbs 5 oz. I had them both naturally even though B was breech all pregnancy. He flipped head down after his sister was out! No NICU time! And I exclusively breast fed them for a year! I was so scared I wouldn't do any of those things when I found out it was twins so you just never know. Good luck!

I did pretty well for an old-lady having twins at 39. Lasted until 37 weeks and they were both 6lb 4oz. B/G twins! So happy to be done with the non-stress tests! We will have their 4th B-day at WDW this October and with 1 done potty training and the other one hopefully any day now, these last 4 years (including being pregnant!!) were the longest and most rewarding of my life. I laugh when people say that they always wanted twins, because obviously they're crazy, but I can honestly say that I'm blessed with my beautiful, wonderful, difficult children. Good luck to all of you Mothers of Multiples and Dad's of Multiples too.

Hi everyone!

I am sorta new here...was a member about 6 yrs ago

Anyway in those 6 years we had b/g twins who turned 4 in december,our older daughter will be 10 this summer. I have to go back and read the rest of this thread, but happy to see so many twin parents!

In Sept we are taking the twins for their first trip (it will be oldest daughters 3rd)

any advice from experience on touring with 2 4yos? I remember some of what it was like with one that age...wondering a bit if we are insane taking the two of them! LOL

I have boy/girl twins that are 12. The first year was the hardest and a blur! But each year has it's own unique challenges .....now we're heading into the teen years:scared1: DS is autism spectrum and homeschooled. DD attends private school. They're as different as night and day.

NYEmomma, I wish I could just reach through the computer and give you a hug. :grouphug:

My story.....I carried until 33.6 weeks. Baby A was born naturally and baby B was an emergency C Section. She was breech and her heart rate dropped dramatically once her sister was born. My twins are ID's and they were mono mono twins. (one sack one placenta) It was a higher risk than most. (but truthfully we were unaware of the same sack thing for sure until they were actually born )
With all of that....(and ps there is only 7 minutes between them...my team of Doctors worked THAT fast) but with all of that...they were great. Always breathed on their own....almost always ate without tube feedings....and came home 10 days later with no complications whatsoever!
Baby A weighed 4.9 pounds and baby B was 3.8 pounds. They *think* that there was some twin to twin transfusion...but again...no complications.

I will say this....the day I had to leave those babies in the hospital and go home was the worst day of my entire life. I never cried so much so hard ever. It ached. BUT, it was obviously best for them to stay. The hospital I had them in was about an hour away...and I still had 2 other children at home. My hubby and I just took shifts I went during the day and he went at night.
You just do it. It wasn't easy...but you do it.

Just a few more weeks and you'll really be out of the danger area for major complications. Medicine has come so far....I know it's easier said then done...but rest easy.
I seriously am the only one I know with twins that didn't carry full term! I know several sets....every single one of them...full term.
So see....now I know YOU too! So your chances just got better! :rotfl:

I'll keep you in my thoughts for a wonderful full term pregnancy and two happy healthy gorgeous babies. pixiedust: ( and just for fun I'll throw in that they sleep through the night too!)

Thanks for your story, GroomerGal! You pretty much experienced my worst nightmare, lol... a natural delivery & a c-section. That had to be a pretty intense recovery, I assume? :sick: I'm very lucky in that they're di/di twins so the risk factor, in terms of twin pregnancies, is really low. And so far I've had no complications and the babies are measuring perfectly... 50th percentile in every aspect. So things seems to be chugging along uneventfully and as they should. It just seems that what *I* view as a typical delivery (natural deliver, no complications, home with the baby 3 days later) is so very, VERY rare with twin pregnancies. :(

I nursed my twins for 10 months exclusively. My doctor was very supportive that I try, but she was also very realistic and let me know that it was difficult to nurse twins. So I went into nursing without pressure on myself and figured however long I could nurse them was better than never even trying. Don't let them tell you it isn't possible. Hey I was told I couldn't have anymore kids after conceiving my first with assistance, and 10 months later, I conceived twins with no assistance :)

Have any tips for nursing? I nursed my daughter for 14 months so I feel very comfortable with the mechanics of it all and am going into it MUCH more knowledgeable this time than when DD was born. So I'm hoping that helps. I just worry about what effect a NICU stay and/or lower birth weight will play into my ability to nurse without doctors telling me I have to supplement.

I bought a twin My Brest Friend pillow to use, have my lanolin & nursing pads in order & got an electric pump for this time! :banana: Also read a great book from the LLL about nursing multiples. Helped me a lot to figure out the mechanics of how to take on two babies.

How did you go out and about with your twins?? With DD, she never, ever took a bottle (despite me having a great stash) and I was too uncomfortable to NIP with her, so we never went out anywhere unless we could be back home w/in 2 hours for her to nurse. This time, I've got an active 3yo and refuse to lock me & her in the house so that I can nurse babies. I'm gathering that nursing in public is impossible? I'm planning on having some formula on hand to use until I can get a freezer stash of pumped milk built up.

Oh big virtual hugs momma. Try not to worry about the NICU. If you can carry past 36 weeks you have a very good chance of not needing the NICU at all. If it is unavoidable and your babies do end up there you just get through it.

All 3 of my kids were preemies. ODS was born at 26 1/2 weeks and spent 3+ months in NICU. My twins came at 30 w 5 d -- DD came home at 5 weeks, DS at 9 weeks. NICU can be a very scary place. But when your little ones come early it is where they need to be for their best shot at surviving. And it is unnatural and surreal but you get through it.

GL momma. Hoping you make it to 37 weeks and have no need of the NICU.

Thank you! I'm 31 weeks today so we're cruising right along. DD was born right on her due date with no complications prior to my water spontaneously breaking, so I'm hoping these two follow their sister's lead. So far, knock on wood, everything is going very very typically so the doctors tell me that there's no reason to think I WON'T make it until 36-38 weeks. I have my days where I feel AWFUL and just want these kids out and my body back to myself, but for the most part, I'm mentally trying really hard to make it as long as humanly possible.

I have boy/girl twins that are 13 months! For those that are pregnant, I was induced at 38 weeks - baby A was 6 lbs 10 oz and B was 6 lbs 5 oz. I had them both naturally even though B was breech all pregnancy. He flipped head down after his sister was out! No NICU time! And I exclusively breast fed them for a year! I was so scared I wouldn't do any of those things when I found out it was twins so you just never know. Good luck!

Lol, that's funny -- one of the first things I thought (besides that we're not going to fit into POFQ anymore) when I found out we were having twins was that there's no way I'm going to be able to nurse twins. And from what I've been reading on twin/parenting message boards it seems like so very few people successfully BF or even pump for the twins. So it's good to hear that you made it to a year! Any tips or suggestions you could share??

I did pretty well for an old-lady having twins at 39. Lasted until 37 weeks and they were both 6lb 4oz. B/G twins! So happy to be done with the non-stress tests!

UGH. A few weeks ago, I asked my OB about what my appts would be like for the rest of my pregnancy & he said that since the twins are di/di, measuring on track & I have no complications, they'd just go ahead and start doing NSTs weekly at 34 weeks and do them in the office. Now at my 30 week appt last week, the other OB I saw (there's 6 in the practice; I see all when I'm pregnant) said oh no, I have to do bi-weekly NSTs at the hospital starting at 32 weeks. On top of my weekly OB appts, on top of ultrasounds every two weeks. That's SOOOO many appointments! :( I told my mom she just needs to buy a sleeping bag and start living at our house because she's going to be babysitting my daughter so much these last few weeks.

NYEMomma...I dont know your whole story but...

My first baby was born at 33 weeks..she decided to be a July baby and not September. She did have to spend 2 weeks in the NICU, but is now a happy healthy champion gymnast and going to be 10 this summer :) So you can imagine how utterly terrified I was to discover I was pregnant with twins at 36 yrs old. I started having contractions around week 25..so was on modified "recliner" rest..I couldnt lie down so literally spent the last 11 weeks of my pregnancy in a recliner. I managed to keep the twins baking till one day shy of 36 weeks, they outweighed their 4lb 11 oz big sis by 1 and 2 lbs..and no NICU time at all. Just rest as much as you can and drink your water...lots and lots of water! Anytime I got the least bit dehydrated I would get contractions.

Just to add another story - I have b/g twins who are now 8. I almost lost my pregnancy at 20 weeks and was on strict bedrest from then until their birth. Thankfully, I was able to keep them until 35 weeks. They were both right around 5lbs at the time. DD did great, even though she was the smaller twin, and came home with me. DS decided to be more difficult. He was born with what the nurses called wimpy white male syndrom. :lmao: He was actually the healthiest baby in the NICU, but had to stay for 10 days due to breathing issues. It was definitely hard to leave him there, but now, 8 years later, you would never know he had a rough start.

I can totally relate to wanting to be done being pregnant. I counted every day while lying in my house waiting for those babies to be born. Those were the longest 15 weeks of my life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

Good luck and hang in there. It will all be over before you know it. :hug:

*bump*

29 weeks now and I'm starting to panic a little bit.

Had an ultrasound last week and things are going GREAT with the girls so that's awesome. B has flipped head down now (she's been breech the entire pregnancy) so I'm hoping they both get comfortable and stay head down for the duration so that I can go for a non-c-section delivery (sorry -- are we allowed to say the "v" word??). They're measuring really good as well. Right in the 50th percentile for everything. A is 2lb 12oz and B is 2lb 14oz.

But things are getting closer to the end and I'm starting to panic a bit about when I'm going to deliver, how big they're going to be & whether they're going to have to go to the NICU. It just seems like EVERY set of twins ends up in the NICU for some period of time no matter how much they way and that worries me so much.

Anyone have any experience/encouragement? Did you twins have to spend NICU time? I'm just so worried about us bonding & getting off to a good start with our BF'ing relationship. And not having my babies in room with me in the hospital just seems so... sad & unnatural. :(

Mom to 3.5 yr old twin boys! My twins didn't spend any time in NICU. In fact they had my c-section scheduled at 38 weeks (due to their size), but lo and behold the day before my scheduled section I went into labor! I didn't end up having a c-section for either, but they are almost 2 hours apart!! Guess one of them just wasn't ready to come out! LOL

Hi everyone!

I am sorta new here...was a member about 6 yrs ago

Anyway in those 6 years we had b/g twins who turned 4 in december,our older daughter will be 10 this summer. I have to go back and read the rest of this thread, but happy to see so many twin parents!

In Sept we are taking the twins for their first trip (it will be oldest daughters 3rd)

any advice from experience on touring with 2 4yos? I remember some of what it was like with one that age...wondering a bit if we are insane taking the two of them! LOL

I'm a proud Disney papa of 8-1/2 year old b/g twins who have been spoiled with 6 Disney trips so far.

Here's some tips and advice for 4-year-old b/g twins:

1. Even if you think they can walk the whole park, rent or bring a double stroller. You will definitely need it at some point.

2. Remember your boy is a boy and your girl is a girl and they will enjoy different things. Mine are really good about "tolerating" the other's interest and the same applies to Disney.

3. Along the lines of #2, be prepared to split up so your son can do his thing and your daughter(s) can do their thing. Each of my twins gets 1-on-1 time with Mom and Dad when are in WDW and they love it.

4. Set the expectation early with them regarding "toys" and "souvenirs". Whether you decide 1 toy per day or 1 souvenir for the trip, set it and stick to it. Encourage them to look throughout the day and then you'll go back and get it at the end of the day or trip.

5. Start off with Magic Kingdom and start off with a basic, easy, fun ride. Dumbo and the Carousel are the two "safest" rides for little ones. My daughter's favorite ride today is It's A Small World, but we made the mistake of taking our 3-year-old angel on that ride to start her 2nd trip to WDW and she cried non-stop for the next 2 hours... "Those dolls are scary!!!!!!!!" she screamed.

6. Expect the meltdowns and tantrums and go with the flow. It's going to happen. Expect the unexpected.

7. Along the lines of #6 above, have a Plan B. Our Plan B was always to take a few minutes to stop or find an air-conditioned place to relax.

8. Along the lines of #7 above, have a Plan C (and a Plan D, E, F, and G if need be). Our Plan C is always to leave the parks and head back to the hotel for down time.

9. And speaking of down time, plan for mid-day breaks back at the hotel. At that age, they can't push through without a big meltdown. At that age, take Disney in small doses and everyone will be happy, happy.

10. And before you even leave, gauge how they do with adult-sized characters. Perkin's (among other restaurants) have kid/ character nights once a week. Get them use to seeing and interacting with the larger-than-what-they-look-like-on-my-TV-screen characters. Nothing like waiting in line for 30 minutes to see Mickey Mouse only to have a screaming 4-year-old who won't take a picture because he's really big.

So a non-labor & delivery question to take my mind off of all that stuff (and because this *IS* a Disney board after all...), for you guys with families of 5+, what are your favorite resorts??

First thing I thought of when we found out we were having twins (besides worrying about BF'ing and having to buy a minivan) was that we wouldn't fit in POFQ anymore. It is hands down my favorite resort.

We're planning on going again when the twins are 2.5 so that they'll still get in free, lol. We just took DD when she was 2.5 and it was such a magical time! :cloud9:

I understand that while they're still under 3, they don't "count" as far as picking a resort that fits your family... so this time we could still stay at POFQ. I'm thinking though that they won't be comfortable smooshed into a porta-crib or pack & play at 2.5. So what kind of other options do I have? We can only afford to stay at value & mod resorts and want to stay on-site.

Just joining the discussion! I'm currently 15 weeks pregnant with di/di twins. We are hoping to find the sexes out in about a month. I can't wait! We also have a 3.5 yo dd who is a disney addict just like her mother. We are already planning our first trip for next Oct when the babies should be a year old or so. I have the same concerns about where we will stay. We own DVC but only enough for a studio if we go every year. I guess we might have to add more points on!

Jamie

So a non-labor & delivery question to take my mind off of all that stuff (and because this *IS* a Disney board after all...), for you guys with families of 5+, what are your favorite resorts??

First thing I thought of when we found out we were having twins (besides worrying about BF'ing and having to buy a minivan) was that we wouldn't fit in POFQ anymore. It is hands down my favorite resort.

We're planning on going again when the twins are 2.5 so that they'll still get in free, lol. We just took DD when she was 2.5 and it was such a magical time! :cloud9:

I understand that while they're still under 3, they don't "count" as far as picking a resort that fits your family... so this time we could still stay at POFQ. I'm thinking though that they won't be comfortable smooshed into a porta-crib
or pack & play at 2.5. So what kind of other options do I have? We can only afford to stay at value & mod resorts and want to stay on-site.

We just went for our boys 4th time and we put our "moose" children in pack n plays. They are 2.5 and 35lb and 38 inches. They managed to fit! My boys are immature so not ready for a bed but since you have girls and a big sister to model after, perhaps all 3 of your girls might do fine in one bed with bed rails. There are also other options such as toddler size air mattresses and such.

In answer to your earlier question, I carried my boys to 38 weeks and no NICU time. They were born via c section (which is what I wanted) but I most likely would have been able to deliver the old fashioned way if I had preferred. However, at my 38 week check up my ultrasound showed the boys were in distress and my blood pressure was very elevated. I was 3 days shy of my scheduled c section. I have 2 friends who have had twin recently. No NICU time either.

I'm a proud Disney papa of 8-1/2 year old b/g twins who have been spoiled with 6 Disney trips so far.

Here's some tips and advice for 4-year-old b/g twins:

1. Even if you think they can walk the whole park, rent or bring a double stroller. You will definitely need it at some point.

2. Remember your boy is a boy and your girl is a girl and they will enjoy different things. Mine are really good about "tolerating" the other's interest and the same applies to Disney.

3. Along the lines of #2, be prepared to split up so your son can do his thing and your daughter(s) can do their thing. Each of my twins gets 1-on-1 time with Mom and Dad when are in WDW and they love it.

4. Set the expectation early with them regarding "toys" and "souvenirs". Whether you decide 1 toy per day or 1 souvenir for the trip, set it and stick to it. Encourage them to look throughout the day and then you'll go back and get it at the end of the day or trip.

5. Start off with Magic Kingdom and start off with a basic, easy, fun ride. Dumbo and the Carousel are the two "safest" rides for little ones. My daughter's favorite ride today is It's A Small World, but we made the mistake of taking our 3-year-old angel on that ride to start her 2nd trip to WDW and she cried non-stop for the next 2 hours... "Those dolls are scary!!!!!!!!" she screamed.

6. Expect the meltdowns and tantrums and go with the flow. It's going to happen. Expect the unexpected.

7. Along the lines of #6 above, have a Plan B. Our Plan B was always to take a few minutes to stop or find an air-conditioned place to relax.

8. Along the lines of #7 above, have a Plan C (and a Plan D, E, F, and G if need be). Our Plan C is always to leave the parks and head back to the hotel for down time.

9. And speaking of down time, plan for mid-day breaks back at the hotel. At that age, they can't push through without a big meltdown. At that age, take Disney in small doses and everyone will be happy, happy.

10. And before you even leave, gauge how they do with adult-sized characters. Perkin's (among other restaurants) have kid/ character nights once a week. Get them use to seeing and interacting with the larger-than-what-they-look-like-on-my-TV-screen characters. Nothing like waiting in line for 30 minutes to see Mickey Mouse only to have a screaming 4-year-old who won't take a picture because he's really big.

this is me (NHFreckles) I found my old account :rotfl:

thanks for the advise...I think we are in pretty good shape.... We do plan to rent a stroller that reclines so they can nap if the need be, and also know that an afternoon break may be needed if they DONT nap in the stroller...similar to with DD 1 6 yrs ago..a few times she napped in the stroller so we took that time to sit somewhere cool and relax within the park...luckily all my kids are champs at napping on the go..but we chose the poly and spending a bit more $$ for being close to MK where we will spend most of our time, so getting back to the room for a nap is easy. We also took the kids to Sesame Place to see how they would do with the big costumed characters...cause those guys are huge and furry! So I think we will be ok...inevitable meltdowns and all :rotfl:

I had sort of thought of the boy / girl thing too...my poor son is the ONLY boy out of all my friends and family too..poor kid is surrounded by girls...We are doing the princess dinner...but I will make sure he gets plenty of time with his faves...buzz woody lightning and mater... they need to do a meal with more "guy" characters ::yes::

I understand that while they're still under 3, they don't "count" as far as picking a resort that fits your family... so this time we could still stay at POFQ. I'm thinking though that they won't be comfortable smooshed into a porta-crib or pack & play at 2.5. So what kind of other options do I have? We can only afford to stay at value & mod resorts and want to stay on-site.

Why don't you stay at POR? They can accommodate 5 in the Alligator Bayou rooms. Plus, you can still walk over to POFQ. We are trying it for the first time in the fall. :banana:

they need to do a meal with more "guy" characters ::yes::

I agree... the only real "guy" place that he enjoys going to is Sci-Fi (though he is a big fan of 50's PT as well)... MK just doesn't have the boy specialties...

I agree... the only real "guy" place that he enjoys going to is Sci-Fi (though he is a big fan of 50's PT as well)... MK just doesn't have the boy specialties...

I have an ADR at sci fi because I know my little man will LOVE eating in a car :)

We have 7 year old boy/girl twins! For those just starting off or still in the toddler stage, it does NOT get easier! :confused3

Our twins have been to Disney at least once every year, sometimes twice. I sure miss the days when they got in for FREE.

We have 7 year old boy/girl twins! For those just starting off or still in the toddler stage, it does NOT get easier!

I respectfully disagree, though maybe we are at a slightly different age with our b/g twins.

The Disney "breaking point" for our twins was last year, at age 8. That was an easy trip compared to the other ones in the past, but each year it got a little better. Just even that big jump of not having to lug around car seats and strollers and diaper/bottle/whatever bags was a heavenly trip.

But as they hit that 7-8-9 year old mark, it does become easier in many ways. Although, just as some things become easier, I concede that other things become harder. But all in all, still easier than the toddler age IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter