Two deaths in ONE day at WDW?

Mr D

Adventurer
First I hear of a mans body found by divers in the 7 Seas lagoon and next I hear a rumor about a possible suicide or an accidental fall of a cast member at the Contemporary from the 14th floor balcony.

I know the one of the mans body found in the seven seas lagoon is true.
It was on local news last night. I guess he was having a disagreement with his wife and he took off. When he didn't show up, his wife reported him missing. I am not sure if there is other information about it. I missed some of the story. I came in half way through. I think he might have been a little drunk. Not sure about that part.

The incident at the Contemporary is also true. We were there after it happened. The Orange County Sheriffs Dept was still on the scene at 9 pm Friday night. We were at the pin trading event at the CR and I spoke to several people who were there when it happened. We coould see Disney Security on all floors above the Concourse as late as 10 pm. I don't know when any official news will be coming out about this terrible incident. There was nothing on any of the Orlando stations that night or the next morning.

Lisa

Just curious what the balconies look like. Are they just a waist high iron work? Guess I never looked close enough or paid much attention to them.

You described the "balcony" @CR perfectly. It wouldn't be that hard to go over one.

The balcony that is being discussed is on the inside of the building from what i have been told. The walkways to get into the rooms have a concrete railing that is between waist and shoulder high depending on the height of the person. The balconys on the outside of the building have iron railings. From what I have been told the incedent took place inside of the building.

Its still not 100% confirmed but this is what little I have picked up, the CM was in Food and Beverage, jumped off the top floor balcony onto the monorail tracks.
I lost my younger sister to suicide, most do this final act privately but this event was done in a very public and terrible manner.
With events such as in Germany lately our younger members of society are terribly fragile and sensitive, this was a statement aimed at Disney according to the profile.
Complete nullification of this tragic event won't prevent another similar or more horrific event from happening again. With the overall poor morale at WDW it was bound to happen.
Mr. Weiss needs to address this issue of poor esteem of working at the parks and resorts immediately or more events of this nature are bound to happen again.

I have to agree with thedscoop. We don't know the reasons why this was done. There could be many. Either way, this person must have been very troubled.

One thing to consider is that this person may have known that this act would get more attention becasue it was done at such a public place like Disney, then if they had chosen to do this in their own home. It could have been for that reason, not necessarily to make a statement against Disney.

It is a very sad thing. :(

another slant on this: with regards to the yahoo story, did everybody notice how many allegedlies and reportedlies were in the story?
"first, let's kill all the lawyers" -william Shakespeare.

Agree that I wouldn't place the blame on Disney. Everyone is responsible for their own life and what they choose to do with it.
Could be they didn't want to do it at home, considering at least that of their loved ones. And let's face it, we don't know their past history either.
I would think Disney has an Employee Assistant program of some sort.
My heart goes out to their family and the Disney staff who have to deal with this. :(

Well said, Mr. Scoop.

Unless there was some kind of harassment or negligence that we haven't heard about yet, WDW doesn't bear any responsibility for this. Certainly they should look into the matter, and validate that the working conditions were acceptable, but unless there is something we don't know, that's about it.

My sincere condolences to the friends and family of Paul Lambeck who had only worked for a year at WDW. Paul was 28.

I also agree with Dscoop!!!! I wouldnt at all blame disney for the person's death. That sounds more like union propaganda!!!!

Very sad news. We were at WDW last week. MK on Sat, never heard a thing until dh just got home and said a fella a work read about it in the paper. S

Both incidents are very sad, and my prayers go out to the families of both parties. As for blaming Disney, no one can be held responsible for the acts that people commit except the person who commits them. This guy must have been very troubled to take his life in such a public manner. My heart goes out to his Disney family, as well!

I agree with you eeyore0062. About the man in the laggoon, does anyone know much about that besides the fact that he was arguing with his wife. I heard somthing about her coming out of someone else resort room.

Neither death are the Blame of Disney. How funny that everyone wants to point the finger. The young man who took his life had disturbing news that he could not deal with and this had nothing to do with Poor Morale at Disney. Isn't it enough that the cast of Disney is dealing with losing one of their own then to be rumored to have caused it?

It is sad that these incidents happen in Disney from time to time, but anytime you get hundreds of thousands of people a day visiting and working at Disney bad things will and do happen. But they happen in my city,your city and every other city and town in the country and the world for that matter. It is sad to say but death,accidents and crime is not unusual or uncommon anywhere even at Disney. It is bound to happen just by the sheer numbers of guests of all walks of life including psychologicaly,emotionaly and medically.It is looking at life with rose colored glasses to think bad things dont happen there...they do and will.But what makes Disney great, everybody is welcome no questions asked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter