two questions regarding trash and clean ups

clori

DIS Veteran
If you live in a place where the city/town does trash pick ups how frequently does that occur say for single family homes or places without dumpster service?

Do you think it is a typical thing to have occasional neighborhood/community clean up days for volunteers or is that always the job of the department of public works?

A friend and I have different thoughts/experiences with both of these so just wondering what is common.

We live in Michigan. It is once a week. My dad lives in Carrolton, TX and he gets pick up twice a week.

If you mean regular trash pickup, it is once a week. They provide separate large bins for trash vs. recycling. That seems fairly typical of others I know. There is a recycling place run by the city where people can take larger items not picked up with weekly trash. Disposal of large household items has been a problem in several of the places I have lived as the trash collector no longer take things like old furniture/etc.

In some places weekly trash pickup is part of what your taxes pay for, while in other areas, you get charged by the trash company.

We have weekly trash collection in our city. While we don't have a community clean up day in the city (that I know of), we do usually have a neighborhood clean up day each Spring in our development. It's less about trash and more about yard waste and things like that around the common areas (e.g. walking paths, etc.)

Our trash is picked up weekly. I believe extra cleanup is a shared responsibility between property owners and the town. I don't know that there is a specific rule or ordinance for that though. I live in a pretty small town and everyone seems to just take care of their stuff as needed.

Our trash is picked up weekly, as is our recycling. Extra cleanup of stuff like leaves in Autumn is the responsibility of the property owner if the leaves are on their sidewalk. Same with snow. I've lived here nearly 12 years and we've never had a community cleanup. It's not needed.

Trash and recycling picked up one time per week (separately, but on the same day). We pay the garbage company directly, but it's contracted through the city (we do not have a choice of providers.)

Our town has done a community cleanup day for several years (but not last year due to COVID). It's voluntary, and if people volunteer and it saves on taxes, then great! Most of the work was in our "historic downtown" area or the parks and most of the volunteers are high school students who need service hours. It was thinkings like painting the sign posts and stuff like that -- not litter pickup.

Our neighborhood does a spring clean-up day, too...Washing the decorative fence along the road, raking/edging the flower beds in the common areas, etc. If there arent' enough volunteers to get things done, they'll hire someone, but that ends up costing more in homeowner's association dues, so I try to help when I can.

Last edited:
We have a 2 yard dumpster on our farm, gets emptied once per week.

We have a lot of 'adopt a highway' signs around here, on occasion you'll see folks associated with whatever group/company adopted that stretch of road doing some clean up. Sometimes you'll see folks from the dept. of corrections doing pick up.

One of my kids 'adopted' the side road my parents farm was on in order to get enough community service credits in middle school.

If you live in a place where the city/town does trash pick ups how frequently does that occur say for single family homes or places without dumpster service?

My township does not have a contract with a residential trash hauler, it is up to each home to get a contract with a trash hauler that works the area. My trash hauler picks up trash twice a week and recycling once a week.

Do you think it is a typical thing to have occasional neighborhood/community clean up days for volunteers or is that always the job of the department of public works?

A friend and I have different thoughts/experiences with both of these so just wondering what is common.

Are you asking about neighborhood loose litter clean up? Like, cleaning up random pieces of trash in the street or whatever? Our public works department does not do that. We don't have an organized day locally, mostly because litter is not really an issue in my specific neighborhood. We do have an "adopt a highway"/"adopt a road" program where a family or community group will volunteer to pick up litter around a major road or highway.

Last edited:
Our trash pick up is once a week.

We live in a small town and have a spot that is also open once a week for recyclables.

For our area it's trash and recycling once a week. Green waste is about every other week, but there's a published schedule for that which isn't exactly ever other week. We pay for trash by the can size and number. Most in the neighborhood pay for a single can up to 32 gallons. Recycling is unlimited and doesn't need to be sorted. We just place it in whatever container we choose to use.

I believe there's no fee for green waste as it's a requirement of the contract. Even someone not paying service is entitled to put out green waste. It either needs to be in a container, in paper bags, or on tarps. Containers and tarps are always returned, but theoretically paper bags could be taken where the paper should eventually decompose. Placed in a plastic bag and they won't take green waste.

We get cleanup days twice a year. People just pile all sorts of junk on the sidewalk and they get hauled away.

I am in Western PA. Trash is once a week and recyclables are picked up on the same day once a month.

Our garbage/trash pick up is Tuesday and Fridays- you can also put out things like couches, mattresses etc on those days- Wednesday is Papers and Cans and Thursday is yard waste like grass clippings, leaves, branches etc. So basically they dont come and take something only on Mondays. If you have something like a fridge or anything really large you just call and they will set you up with an appointment for a special pick up.

In my region the city picks up all trash: three times weekly for regular garbage; twice weekly for recyclables, and once a week for large pieces.
We have regular and weather cleanup for parks but it‘s faster, more regular, when
the neighborhood “adopts” the greenspace. Regular dues are paid so it always looks pristine.

Trash is 1X per week, in my city for recycling it's every other week same day as trash when it's picked up. Some cities are starting to go that route as well with recycling every other week but most others are 1X per week same day as trash. Yard waste is picked up same day as trash every week.

In my county it's required that waste management companies (or cities) do recycling and without a separated fee. In my city the city themselves does the trash, recycling, and yard waste with no overage fees but other cities use contracted out services which may have overage fees (or pre-purchasing of stickers for overages). However my city does not have free large bulk pick up but we do have Household Hazardous Waste pick up events 2X monthly and that is free for residents of the county. In my city as well it's free for city residents to drop off large limbs at the compost facility and you can pick up free natural colored mulch as well.

Here in Ontario, Canada, our city specifically, we get weekly curbside pickup of recycling and compost. Every other week they also collect our actual trash (normal garbage bags only). You can arrange for p/u twice a year for oversized collections such as furniture and appliances (excludes hazardous waste). Twice a year on published dates they will collect used household batteries when put in your recycle bin.

Trash pickup is on Wednesday, as is recycling (separate pickups). Yard waste (tree trimmings, etc.) is picked up on Thursday by a third truck. Large items (furniture, appliances, etc.) we call in and they send a separate truck. So you could see four different trucks in any given week, all there for different purposes.

I have lived in both types of places. One where all the land is developed, rather small in size, and trash picked up twice a week (from the rear of the house). The other more rural and quite large in area, with many miles of roads along undeveloped areas. The trash was picked up once a week at the curb, and they had I believe two volunteer community clean up days each year. The main aim was to clean up along roadways.

We used to have trash pick up twice a week, now it's once a week. Bummer. We have separate container for recyclables. I've never seen or heard of any community/ volunteer clean up days.

Ours is done by the county and it's twice weekly for trash, every other week for recycling, with both containers provided and maintained by the county. They have crews that do nothing but replace wheels on the containers -- but our county has 3 Million residents.

For bulk waste, like tree cuttings or remodeling debris, we get two 25-yard pickups per year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter