two questions regarding trash and clean ups

Our trash gets picked up every 2 weeks.
4 bag max.

For those who get trashed picked up once or twice a week, do you have a maximum bag allowance?

Tuesday and Friday garbage: put big stuff out on Friday.
Wednesday recyclables: alternates each week from bottles and cans to paper
Clippings and things I’m not sure. The come around and pick them up though. Most landscapers leave the bags at the curb and they stay there until it’s picked up. Lol.

For those who get trashed picked up once or twice a week, do you have a maximum bag allowance?
Depends on the provider. Because most areas have bins the companies provide it's usually based on excess trash outside of the bin that would be extra if there is a fee.

When we lived elsewhere in our county that provider had excess trash stickers you had to buy if your trash didn't fit in the trash bin provided. Our current city we live in there isn't a max really. Our neighbor frequently has a bag or two of extra trash next to the trash bin or a cardboard box or two of extra recycling next to the recycling bin.

Bulk pickup works differently but normal trash that's typically the way it works in my area.

4 bag max.

It has to be arranged by can size for my service. There's fee schedule depending on size and number. I noted that most around here get a single 32 gallon. The fee varies if one has different sizes and/or multiple cans. It's not unlimited though.

It's weird around here because service can be disrupted by holidays, but we really don't know about it until we put it out on a holiday and the can is still there in the afternoon. Then we just put it out the next day, although I'm not 100% sure how they handle it. I'd speculate that since they have the day off, they just have double the trucks operating the next day. I've been to their office, and they usually have several trucks in reserve.

Here in Ontario, Canada, our city specifically, we get weekly curbside pickup of recycling and compost. Every other week they also collect our actual trash (normal garbage bags only). You can arrange for p/u twice a year for oversized collections such as furniture and appliances (excludes hazardous waste). Twice a year on published dates they will collect used household batteries when put in your recycle bin.

I’m in Mississauga, and we have alternating garbage and recycling weeks, with green bin every week. Large items like furniture are shockingly collected curbside with no prior arrangement. Funny how even city to city it can vary within the same province.

Our waste is in city provided bins. Huge ones. We could have got smaller but why? We’ll take big even if they don’t get filled. So a grey with grey lid for garbage, grey with blue lid for recycling and a green one for organic waste. Picked up by city services and paid for with property taxes. If we have extra recycling it can be placed in blue see through bags beside the bin during recycling week, no charge. If there’s extra garbage, we need to pay for garbage stickers to stick to them. Even with every other week collection we rarely have more than half a bin full.

we have weekly pick-up, alternating between trash and recyclables and compost and recyclables. there is a limit on trash but none on recyclables. we can put out one large item on trash days, but if it is in good condition most people put it out early and anyone can take it.

public spaces are the responsibility of the city, but you are you are responsible for your front yard to the street, including the sidewalk.

My city is twice per week, and there is an opt in recycling program where they provide blue bags where you put all your recyclables (paper in one bag, glass, plastic, and cans in another) and you toss them in with the regular trash. The blue bags are provided. It used to be universal, until people were using the blue recycle bags for non-recyclables and even pet do-do which just isn't cool. So now its opt-in, but still no additional charge. We also have a separate yard waste collection with a separate bin, and you can also put out the paper yard waste bags in addition to your large bin. That's once per week.

Bulky pick up is by reservation twice per year, no additional charge. I've been impressed with the system my city has in place.

The trash is once per week, recycling is every other. You can get trash bins in 32, 64 or 96 gallons. Depending on the size with what you pay per month. Recycling is a 96 gallon bin, when emptied the trash company gives you a 25 cent credit on your account (doesn't need to be full), which is nice.

Dad has the same company at his place they also off bulk pick up every week on your trash day but you need a special sticker which is $15. They also have special 96 gallon yard waste containers which you have to buy at $40, and a special tag for each empty at $5 each (once a month April to November). Neither of these services are offered where I live due to it being a condo (they take care of the yard waste and they don't want bulk items out).

My city is twice per week, and there is an opt in recycling program where they provide blue bags where you put all your recyclables (paper in one bag, glass, plastic, and cans in another)
Glass was something that was included early on in recycling programs here but was abandoned; safety risks with broken glass, sorting issues at the processing plants, etc That said there's several programs that are out there where they recycle glass you can even get glass pickup curbside from multiple local companies if you want to pay for it.

Boulevard Brewing is responsible for basically our largest glass recycling program in our metro--Ripple Glass. They are just big dumpsters placed all around and free to use (our closest is the Walmart by our house) and you just dump the glass in and they eventually come pick it up. We have a box that we just fill up with bottles (all sorts including food not just beer and wine) and every so often drop it off.

For some people not having glass with normal recycling is a hassle but I think if you make it easier such as providing an alternative recycling option it's not really an imposition. For us it's just as easy to dump the box of glass on a grocery store trip.

4 bag max.

They give us trash cans. Not sure the exact size but they are pretty big. The basic rate includes 2 cans, you can go down to 1 but I don't think it's that much of a price difference so most people just keep the 2 or pay extra for more than 2. We also have 4 8 item large pick ups, you can schedule for free throughout the year.

Our trash is picked up twice a week in the warmer months and once a week in cooler months, recycling is once a week year round. We have "Big Trash Pickup" for mattresses, furniture, etc quarterly. Trash pickup is part of our city utilities (water, gas, and trash).The city has a regular street sweeper that takes care of any litter/debris that's in the street. We have a community beautification league who help manage flower gardens/parks/etc around town (all volunteers) to keep those areas looking nice. Everything else is on the individual property owner. Our town is pretty neat and tidy.
Added note. In the fall, the city brings around a 'leaf vaccuum' that will take any leaves you leave at the edge of the street. I've got several big trees, this is a very nice. I don't have to bag the leaves. I just rake them onto a tarp, drag it to the curb, and dump them.

4 bag max.

Twice a week, I can have as many cans out there as I want. We have 2 giant cans for garbage, and we use regular sized garbage cans for recycling, so if we run out of room in the big ones, we use the recycling cans for garbage too. It’s all included in our property taxes. When I sold my dads house in town, I had a five foot high 15 foot wide pile of stuff in front of his house, taken in one trip.

Our trash is picked up twice a week in the warmer months and once a week in cooler months, recycling is once a week year round. We have "Big Trash Pickup" for mattresses, furniture, etc quarterly. Trash pickup is part of our city utilities (water, gas, and trash).The city has a regular street sweeper that takes care of any litter/debris that's in the street. We have a community beautification league who help manage flower gardens/parks/etc around town (all volunteers) to keep those areas looking nice. Everything else is on the individual property owner. Our town is pretty neat and tidy.
Added note. In the fall, the city brings around a 'leaf vaccuum' that will take any leaves you leave at the edge of the street. I've got several big trees, this is a very nice. I don't have to bag the leaves. I just rake them onto a tarp, drag it to the curb, and dump them.
We had that leaf remover forever, until about 10 years ago, when environmentalists said having leaves in the street wasn’t good for the sewer drains. Now, leaves have to be bagged in paper bags (provided by the town). We have a landscaper so they just grind it up and take it away.

Yeah, I was wondering why twice a week would be necessary. We hardly have any trash so unless we are throwing in construction debris or something big, we have never filled the bin with weekly service.

We don't have a bag limit; everything just must fit inside the bin. These are the large bins that are picked up by machine so they don't get out of the truck.

One place we lived before did not provide bins and the collectors picked everything up by hand. People would leave huge piles of bags and other items stacked by the road and they would take whatever was there regardless of how much. (It was a very rural area and not everyone paid for garbage pickup so I think some people brought their trash to a friend or family member's house to get picked up for "free")

Currently I have dumpsters on the other side of my neighborhood included in the rent. I don't have to collect and hold onto it all week. I empty the trash when I am leaving to go somewhere and will drive past the dumpsters.

As a home owner, I lived out in the middle of nowhere. Garbage was once a week with no recycling. Yard debris you just burned or composted.

OP - thanks for the responses - I didn't want to say much intially. We live in a small city where we have trash and recyling pick up once a week. I believe there is technicallly a 10 bag limit. Lawn waste is probably every other week during certain times of the year. We are in the process of changing from specific colored bags to a trash can system. The trashcans will only hold one bag from the sounds of it and it does not get lifted by a machine but a human.

I grew up in a more suburban area with weekly trash pick up. My friend grew up in NYC area and she complains that it is not normal to just have trash pick up one day a week. I asked my husband if it was a NYC thing since he is from Manhattan but he was like we put the trash down a shute whenever we wanted so he is clueless.

Trash is picked up twice a week, recycling once a week (on second trash day). Never heard of community/volunteer clean up days but considering our trash cans all sit in a wind tunnel until they get picked up, it would be nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter