UA 328 Denver to Honolulu

kdonnel

DVC-BCV
It appears everyone on the plane and ground are safe! Great news.

But.....

How will Hawaii handle it for those that wish to continue their journey? Particularly those who’s covid test has expired due to the delay.

United released a statement saying they put the affected passengers on another plane to Honolulu and those who didn't want to continue they accomodated in Denver (https://www.kitv.com/story/43381563...fter-dropping-debris-in-colorado-neighborhood)

United flight 328 experienced an engine failure and safely returned to Denver. We are in contact with the FAA, NTSB and local law enforcement. The NTSB is investigating and has directed that any persons with debris from this event contact their local law enforcement agency. All passengers and crew have deplaned and been transported back to the terminal in DEN. We are now working to get our customers on a new flight to Honolulu in the next few hours.

Due to weather conditions across the country Hawaii has increased time from 72 hrs to 96 hrs so those that flew out later yesterday should have been ok. I would hope United would pay for anyone that needs a new test.

Due to weather conditions across the country Hawaii has increased time from 72 hrs to 96 hrs so those that flew out later yesterday should have been ok. I would hope United would pay for anyone that needs a new test.
That raises another issue, why is it safe to allow travelers who tested 96 hours ago in bad weather but not in good weather?

That raises another issue, why is it safe to allow travelers who tested 96 hours ago in bad weather but not in good weather?

I think with all the flight delays due to ice storm they were trying to avoid sending entire plane loads back home. The one test, regardless of timing, is only catching a small percentage so 96 hrs would make it easier for planning purposes. So much wrong with only 1 test required!

I think with all the flight delays due to ice storm they were trying to avoid sending entire plane loads back home. The one test, regardless of timing, is only catching a small percentage so 96 hrs would make it easier for planning purposes. So much wrong with only 1 test required!

So much wrong with it all (and before this starts a debate, I DO understand the reasoning behind the measures, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating), but we have to work within the system and rules that are given to us.

I take some issue with needing a negative test to begin with to travel INSIDE of my country of citizenship.

I also take some issue with the violation of my right to keep my medical information confidential to travel within the United Statese as well.

I take issue with the fact that a false positive could prevent me from travelling.

So much wrong with it all (and before this starts a debate, I DO understand the reasoning behind the measures, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating), but we have to work within the system and rules that are given to us.

I take some issue with needing a negative test to begin with to travel INSIDE of my country of citizenship.

I also take some issue with the violation of my right to keep my medical information confidential to travel within the United Statese as well.

I take issue with the fact that a false positive could prevent me from travelling.

All valid concerns. I yearn for the good old days (prior to March 2020) when we didn't automatically view all outwardly healthy human beings as nothing more than disease vectors.

The plane has been changed out to a 777-200 and is no longer flight 328.

Signed, a person who will be on that flight in a few weeks...

The problem in "Inside" your own country is that hawaii is an island. We only have so much in resources compared to the rest of the mainland. We don't have top hospitals in a state next over that would at most be a 5 hour drive or an hour flight. Let alone the Kupana here are also living with their kids and grandkids and the great kids so transmission to them is higher. I get you are frustrated cause we would love to inter-island travel but we also have seen what it can do to the smaller islands. Maui is having some issues right now. At one point they were talking about at what numbers do they open Tripler Army hospital to the civilian population. If they open up tripler that is not a good sign.

Last edited:
The problem in "Inside" your own country is that hawaii is an island. We only have so much in resources compared to the rest of the mainland. We don't have top hospitals in a state next over that would at most be a 5 hour drive or an hour flight. Let alone the Kupana here are also living with their kids and grandkids and the great kids so transmission to them is higher. I get you are frustrated cause we would love to inter-island travel but we also have seen what it can do to the smaller islands. Maui is having some issues right now. At one point they were talking about at what numbers do they open Tripler Army hospital to the civilian population. If they open up tripler that is not a good sign.

Hawaii's problem is not as unique as you think it might be. Sure, on the mainland there are more hospitals within easy reach for many, but that doesn't mean that they aren't equally stressed at this time. Where I live, I have about 20ish different hospitals within a 30 minute drive from my home. At the same time, there were contingency plans in my area to use an event arena, staffed with National Guard personnel, to hold overflow patients if the situation got worse. The children's hospital where I live stepped up and volunteered to see adults into their 30s to relieve stress on the "adult" hospitals. The level 1 trauma center by me was refusing to take patients from outside hospitals and had a waiting list of people from 6 hours away looking for a place to go (and there are multiple hospitals of the same caliber in between the place they were and this hospital). As I stated before, I do understand the reasons for the restrictions, but that doesn't make the mainland any more prepared than Hawaii, or make the situation any less frustrating for those who would like to come for a visit.

Just please wear your mask correctly. The kamaaina have worked so hard to get the numbers down. Maybe one day I’ll get to see my parents and my kids can see their grandparents.

I wonder if United let those continuing know that the plane sent to continue their journey had a very similar engine failure 3 years prior?

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety...p-in-pandw-inspection-training/139085.article
Very very frustratingly we were on that United flight back. We knew nothing of the days issues as we’d been at Pearl Harbor and not on our phones. United told us nothing and offered no other way home. As soon as we landed the plane was grounded. Incredibly scary and we were travelling with our two young kids. I am sooo freaked out about it. Contacted United and got a very delayed response that does even seem like it’s read my message. Person I’ve dealt with is one of the worst customer service people I’ve encountered for a long time. Unbelievable. Clearly at the point they let our flight take off they knew there were serious issues with that plane to have grounded it literally hours after take off.

Very very frustratingly we were on that United flight back. We knew nothing of the days issues as we’d been at Pearl Harbor and not on our phones. United told us nothing and offered no other way home. As soon as we landed the plane was grounded. Incredibly scary and we were travelling with our two young kids. I am sooo freaked out about it. Contacted United and got a very delayed response that does even seem like it’s read my message. Person I’ve dealt with is one of the worst customer service people I’ve encountered for a long time. Unbelievable. Clearly at the point they let our flight take off they knew there were serious issues with that plane to have grounded it literally hours after take off.
I’m so sorry you had such a crappy customer service experience. I fly Delta or Southwest, and the one time we had a big enough issue to land and switch planes, it was definitely NOT handled like that. Particularly difficult with little with you. Ugh.

Just always remember, everybody, that every aircraft (just like every car, train, etc) has had issues through its life, whether inherent to the overall design or some part (like this one) or things that happened to that particular unit. But for airplanes, there are SO many rules, regulations, inspections, etc. governing what can and can’t still be flown. So crap like this is super scary, but remember how safe overall it really is.

However, I have to say, it really bugs me how the airlines get away with being able to change so many things without giving passengers the choice to change flights without penalty. I mean, you pick your flights based on departure and arrival times, the aircraft you prefer, etc, and the airlines can change any of that and you either like it or pay to change. (So if you say hey, I know those Pratt engines have come apart before; I want on a different flight, you have to pay to change.) Delta changed our aircraft leaving Oahu and (even though we were at the gate before it even opened), chose to not tell anyone until we were boarding. Tried to split my family up after we’d booked that flight over a year out (and paid $1200 each for it too). I did NOT allow that to happen, but I’m sure other less, ahem, VOCAL folks probably did. Anyway, I hope all the restrictions get revisited after Covid. The airlines in general handled that pretty well; it’d be nice to, well, be nice about other stuff too.

Sorry for the novel; I’m in a really boring meeting...LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter