Undecided about July trip, need input

Hi Neighbor :wave2: (Lake Mary Jane)
We live in Lake Nona (SE Orlando).

Another Lake Nona resident here :D.

I'm concerned that people on indoor rides may take off their masks and there will be little I could do about that.

This does seem to be happening and I don't see how the CMs can do anything about it. If this is a major concern then you should probably reschedule.

After a ton of debate and realizing that no matter where we go it will be an issue so we are going. We leave tomorrow. DHs largest concern is the plane but it is a direct 2 hours flight and it is not booked and the most it is allowed is 60% capacity with Southwest. The queues look great for social distancing and wait times are awesome. I am planning on limiting time in the park when I can.

After a ton of debate and realizing that no matter where we go it will be an issue so we are going. We leave tomorrow. DHs largest concern is the plane but it is a direct 2 hours flight and it is not booked and the most it is allowed is 60% capacity with Southwest. The queues look great for social distancing and wait times are awesome. I am planning on limiting time in the park when I can.
Have a magical time :wizard:

I'm going to reschedule until January. Although concerned about coronavirus, what's tipping the scales for me is the heat. With the shorter park hours, I would really look forward to some air conditioning in midday and I think I would be at least a little uneasy during time inside (in restaurants but possibility also rides/attractions).

I sadly cancelled my reservation that was to begin July 19th. It was my first ever July trip that I rebooked after our May cancellation. I had originally thought the reward was worth the risk, since I fit none of the high risk factors. However, knowing that if I were to get sick, there would be no room at the hospitals to treat me, made me hit the cancel button. It's a sad day. :(

Good luck, play safe & have a great time!

Make sure to come back & post your experience please

We are supposed to be arriving on 8/9. Lost count of how many ‘friends’ sent me the 15K overnight CV numbers this am :rolleyes1 Yes, i have such helpful friends lol.

On a positive note though, only 8% of that above number was in Orange County. Miami-Dade is really getting hit hard.

I'm going to reschedule until January. Although concerned about coronavirus, what's tipping the scales for me is the heat. With the shorter park hours, I would really look forward to some air conditioning in midday and I think I would be at least a little uneasy during time inside (in restaurants but possibility also rides/attractions).

It has been confirmed you can leave the park & return the same day, but with shortened hours not sure if viable option. The thought popped into my mind, walking out to car in parking lot & running AC might be a strategy to cool off safely mid day.

I've been watching the live feeds from the parks as they open and am very impressed with the procedures in place and the compliance of guests. The park numbers are low so it's pretty easy to safely distance from others and the rides are being sanitized as well as hand stanitizer at the beginning and end of every line. We've been debating too but decided after seeing the experiences of others already there, that we'll go ahead and go. We'll be checking in 2 weeks from today. We decided on 2 parks for the week to keep it low key and carefully selected reservations for dining. Celebrating our wedding anniversary after 2 cancellations dues to Covid!

Hi Neighbor :wave2: (Lake Mary Jane) and think exactly the same way.

We're in no rush, but normally skip July and August anyway.

You are nearby -- three lakes to the east :)

Not our favorite months either, but have gone for a limited evening or morning activity. We have plans to be on property in September and have park reservations. But whether we actually go to the parks depends a great deal on what we learn over the next few weeks and the positivity rates at that time.

I'm waffling like an Eggo on making my decision regarding my August trip. :confused3
Also, I have an AP certificate and park reservations, but I might go and not go into the parks.

This is what we are doing. My daughter and I take a yearly trip to WDW (gives my wife a nice break at home!) and this August we are going to stay at BWV but not go to the parks.

We ended up cancelling thirty minutes before leaviing for the airport. We were all so upset but the numbers in Orange County had tripled in one day and we no longer felt comfortable. I am sad. Hopefully ours plans for December will be ok.

Tough decision on trips. Definitely risk involved. Here are some statistics that we are considering for our Vero Beach trip in August. Based on these we are taking our chances and going and will enjoy the trip - but being smart (wearing masks, etc.). CDC United States numbers show increase in cases and deaths each day, but the overall % of death to cases dropped from 4.8% July 1 to 4.09% (3.3 million cases, 135 thousand deaths) declining each day. Each day % of deaths is about 0.5% to 1.5% in July, suggesting the 4.09% will continue to decline (hopefully!). Indian River (Vero Beach) has very small numbers similar to the county we live in. Not sure about Orlando area - and that would be important to look at for WDW visit.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/us-cases-deaths.html

I just returned yesterday from a AP preview and MK opening trip. I will say my feeling is that there is no safer place to be than WDW right now (even in my own hometown). I had two flights on SWA to get there and return home. There is 99% compliance with the mask requirement and there are no more than 2 people per row unless there are 3 in your own travel party. In the the park, attendance was sparse. There was no time I felt crowded. I actually like the social distancing. In the parks mask compliance was 99.9%. I saw one or two that would drop it down on a ride, but still very distanced. We ate two TS meals and at both we were far more than 6 feet from the neighboring guests. With QS, we had to have a confirmation that we had a mobile order ready for pickup before they would even let us in the building. They have really thought this through and safety is a clear priority. My suggestion would be to consider if the trip would still be fulfilling if you don't get all of the experiences you are used to. We missed HEA and my daughter really wanted to hug a character. But, even in the absence of these experiences, we had a daddy/daughter trip that I will never forget. We had such a fantastic trip.

That's pretty much how we feel about going right now. We're safer there than at our local grocery. That said, we're driving so we will be taking food we need to avoid the groceries down there, just in case. We've watch several live feeds from the parks and have watched numbers and statistics daily. We'll be there in 10 days.

We are supposed to be arriving on 8/9. Lost count of how many ‘friends’ sent me the 15K overnight CV numbers this am :rolleyes1 Yes, i have such helpful friends lol.

I can only imagine how horrible it must be to have ‘friends’ express their concern about your health and safety. Clearly they’re just jealous of your trip and are trying to ruin your fun...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter