Underground economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to sneak in a haircut too, not like I have much hair to start with. Best of all I didn't wear a mask and I saw the same "stylist" I've seen for close to 20 years, very little contact.

IMHO if any Governor shuts things down like they have they should be taking care of the small businesses and employees, many are independent contractors and thus get no unemployment insurance.

As for my haircut? Yes my "stylist" is my wife 🤣

I managed to sneak in a haircut too, not like I have much hair to start with. Best of all I didn't wear a mask and I saw the same "stylist" I've seen for close to 20 years, very little contact.

IMHO if any Governor shuts things down like they have they should be taking care of the small businesses and employees, many are independent contractors and thus get no unemployment insurance.

As for my haircut? Yes my "stylist" is my wife 🤣
LOL - I hope you both are getting as much contact as you enjoy. ;)

I can’t believe you’re willing to risk your families health to have good hair
I can. You should see all the complaining and moaning on FB. You've seen it here, too. Their "freedom" is more important than keeping people alive. It's all about them, they don't care about anyone else.

I always laugh when I see someone say we're all in this together - no, we are not.

I’m absolutely finding none of that, nor am I searching for it. To be honest, it’s quite the opposite, most are joking about their hair, and posting funny memes about it. My husband clips his own as well as my sons. I really don’t care, I’ll go without before I’ll put ourselves into that situation.

My stylist let me know they'd be opening back up at the beginning of May, and by the time I replied to get on the schedule she was booked for 2 weeks straight! Still, I booked an appointment for well over a month from now. Shame away, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda feeling around here of late.

thats ok, Im a big boy. There isnt anything illegal about getting a haircut.

I suppose so. In our state, however, any licensed beautician who is caught providing services during this time loses their license for two years. So, while it's not "illegal" for me to cut my husband's hair or have any unlicensed friend do so, it would be pretty dumb for a licensed provider to do this, and mine will not. She has said so in her Facebook messages to her clients: don't even ask me because I will not do so because I do not want to jeopardize my licensing.

I get my haircut in my barbers garage. A lot on the FD do as well. Or just shaved their head. Which I am not going to do. Lol
The Police has a couple barbers come to their lodge to cut theirs. And same with some nail salons. A lot of those are doing nails at home. Folks still have to make money and I will keep getting my haircut. I’m prett sure at least in Ohio. Those places will open back up in May. I’m sure there is quite a lot of underground economy happening. True. It’s not allowed for at home barbering. They find it worth the risk and no one could ever prove they are doing it anyways. We all need to keep earning.

I'm not looking because the people I love don't need the extra risk, but I am thinking of honestly just buzzing all my hair off at home to be free of it a while. People give you different looks though when you are female and do that but it wouldn't be my first time. It was already buzzed on the sides and only long in the middle so not such a huge leap.

I found a black-market plant hookup - a grower who plans to offer curbside pickup whether or not the state green lights it, rather than lose his business over the cancelled season.

My daughter's stylist was offering in-home cut-only appointments. Her shop was closed under the previous order but having a friend over wasn't violating any rules (subject to gathering size limits) so she reached out to her regulars to offer that service. Not sure if she'll continue now that even having a single person over to visit is illegal but DD had the foresight to have her hair cut the day she got home - two days before our SAH order went into effect - so we won't find out unless this level of lockdown drags on for a very long time.

This is why I'm so glad I cut and color my own hair - I just touch up the grays back to my natural color and trim 1-2 inches off the bottom every month or so. No angst - and a whole lotta money saved that I can spend on takeout and other small businesses. Realize that's a lot tougher though, when you have a shorter or more fashionable style that needs to be specifically shaped/maintained.

This is why I'm so glad I cut and color my own hair - I just touch up the grays back to my natural color and trim 1-2 inches off the bottom every month or so. No angst - and a whole lotta money saved that I can spend on takeout and other small businesses. Realize that's a lot tougher though, when you have a shorter or more fashionable style that needs to be specifically shaped/maintained.

Yeah, the aging hippie look has some advantages right about now - in a pinch, I can even cut my own hair since it is just trimming split ends on an all-one-length style, and I only color it for fun.

Last edited:

Times like these I truly wish I had "good hair" and could just keep it at one length. I have really fine, soft hair (but a lot of it) and it grows PAINFULLY slow. My hair has been short and layered for a long time. The problem is that after 6 weeks or so, the layers don't grow out well at all and I just get these weird clumps of hair and it's awful. I'm at that stage now. I don't care because I'm not going anywhere, but I am nervous about when my work opens back up and my stylist is slammed. I have to prebook all my appointments now because she's always in high demand.

Times like these I truly wish I had "good hair" and could just keep it at one length. I have really fine, soft hair (but a lot of it) and it grows PAINFULLY slow. My hair has been short and layered for a long time. The problem is that after 6 weeks or so, the layers don't grow out well at all and I just get these weird clumps of hair and it's awful. I'm at that stage now. I don't care because I'm not going anywhere, but I am nervous about when my work opens back up and my stylist is slammed. I have to prebook all my appointments now because she's always in high demand.
I hear ya - I used to wear layers and it took regular maintenance or it would look really funky. I've definitely made my fair share of visits to salons in years gone by...but I finally just got lazy. I wear my hair in partial or full ponytails, buns or up in other ways, so the style is what I'd call "classic" - i.e, boring with no style lol.

I hear ya - I used to wear layers and it took regular maintenance or it would look really funky. I've definitely made my fair share of visits to salons in years gone by...but I finally just got lazy. I wear my hair in partial or full ponytails, buns or up in other ways, so the style is what I'd call "classic" - i.e, boring with no style lol.

This is my plan for when I retire. Gonna let it all go to one length if it is still healthy hair and doesn't thin out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter