Underground economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the part where "what works best for...our family" puts the rest of us in danger. Nice.

Exactly! Our first responders should be leaders in our community, and I believe that the vast majority are, and are taking this very seriously and not exposing the people in their communities, who depend on them, any more than they absolutely have to as part of their jobs.

I feel badly for everyone that is struggling. I have tried to do my small part by helping people that I personally know that are struggling. My niece is one of them. She was a waitress. Has been out of work for almost a month. She still hasn't successfully filled out her unemployment application and she cant get a call through to the office. This is in Maine.

But we are in the middle of a pandemic. I don't support skirting the law and doing things we have been asked not to do.

As a side note its interesting that so many people thought our economy was so great, but the vast majority can't feed their families or pay rent after one missed paycheck.........doesn't sound so great to me.......sad.

Agree with this 100%. We've been helping as best we can - paying for services that we don't receive because we're blessed enough to still be getting paid, we've budgeted to pay for those services, so why not help those out who provide those services and can't provide them right now due to the pandemic?

I feel badly for everyone that is struggling. I have tried to do my small part by helping people that I personally know that are struggling. My niece is one of them. She was a waitress. Has been out of work for almost a month. She still hasn't successfully filled out her unemployment application and she cant get a call through to the office. This is in Maine.

But we are in the middle of a pandemic. I don't support skirting the law and doing things we have been asked not to do.

As a side note its interesting that so many people thought our economy was so great, but the vast majority can't feed their families or pay rent after one missed paycheck.........doesn't sound so great to me.......sad.

I agree and we are doing our part by following the restrictions. But I can also see where people are getting desperate for money. People still have bills to pay and food to buy.

Except for the part where "what works best for...our family" puts the rest of us in danger. Nice.

Especially when the person putting the rest of us in danger is supposedly an emt/ fireman. Like anyone would care what his hair looked like if he gives them covid 19.

Excellent point!! So much for the great economy we had.

Can’t get a haircut by sending a gift card.
Different strokes for different folks. I’ll keep getting that haircut. Along with the folks enforcing the law. Cause they get em also.
Life is great when we all are different. Doing what works best for us and our family.

I'll keep getting that haircut (I might not die, but someone else might-so what?). Along with folks enforcing the law. Cause they get them also (Moooooommmm! Everyone *else* is doing it!). Life is great when we are all different (life is great when you are giving someone a deadly virus. But you do you.) Doing what works best for us and our family (and to H#@& with everyone else's family, so long as ours makes out!)

Which is why buying a gift certificate right now would be helpful, and legal.
Really depends on how someone views it.

Initially I really didn't think too much about the gift cards but we have $150 in AMC gift cards stocked up from over the years and $50 in AMC Stubs rewards..AMC is on the verge of filing bankruptcy. Which bankruptcy, should they file (and given that they are long term closed seems likely) determines if my gift cards and rewards are useless plus I just paid a month ago $15 to renew my AMC stubs account.

Way back when Gordman's went belly up I had seeminly days to a week to offload $45 in gift cards or I would lose the value.

So it's a very valid point that people have been bringing up in regards to gift cards. It happens. It just depends on how someone looks at it. In respects to certain places it can be easier to spend the cash immediately towards the business as you're assured something back, for other things this isn't feasible as the business is not able to be fully open.

That is not to be construed as me saying go ahead and break your stay at home order. This is just speaking about gift cards in general.

Which is why buying a gift certificate right now would be helpful, and legal.
Sorry, I know you aren’t the only one saying this and you mean it in good faith. Everyone likes to say buying gift cards helps businesses, but please show me an accountant or CPA who fully endorses that gift cards help businesses now. Even a few of the big restauranteurs have mentioned in interviews they realize it may cost them so much when redeemed that it is more of a feel good gesture. Legally, gift card funds cannot be used by a business until service or good is provided. That is why so much has changed about gift cards that were sold with expiration dates. A gift card is a liability—not current income. And no, in this case, positive cash flow is still a liability.

Sorry, I know you aren’t the only one saying this and you mean it in good faith. Everyone likes to say buying gift cards helps businesses, but please show me an accountant or CPA who fully endorses that gift cards help businesses now. Even a few of the big restauranteurs have mentioned in interviews they realize it may cost them so much when redeemed that it is more of a feel good gesture. Legally, gift card funds cannot be used by a business until service or good is provided. That is why so much has changed about gift cards that were sold with expiration dates. A gift card is a liability—not current income. And no, in this case, positive cash flow is still a liability.
All of our local businesses are strongly pushing gift certificates right now. Many are offering some good deals, too. My hair salon has a special right now where they will give you a free custom color processing kit with the purchase of a gift card. Legally, it is still cash in their pockets now.

Today i (27F) asked my fiancé (28M) to cut my hair.

I was very nervous, but my trim turned out fantastic.

Even more fantastic, I didn’t risk exposing myself or anyone else to COVID-19!!

Watch a damn youtube video people - cutting hair is not that hard.
Oh I don’t know about that. You should have seen the barbers on base. No one had a good haircut. I don’t think they were actually barbers though. Beauticians maybe. But a barber cuts it completely different. We had to go off base for a good cut.

Like others have pointed out there are other ways to support a business if that was your true intent!

I actually had a hair appt. that had to be canceled, because our SAH order went into effect.

My hair cuts cost $40.00. I sent my hairdresser a check for $20. It was just a small way for me to show my support during this tough time, before her unemployment kicked in.
Exactly. I have been purchasing gift cards online from my hair salon, spa, and favorite restaurants.

Oh I don’t know about that. You should have seen the barbers on base. No one had a good haircut. I don’t think they were actually barbers though. Beauticians maybe. But a barber cuts it completely different. We had to go off base for a good cut.
LOL my mom is a beautician of 30+ years, working on a military base as her first job, so believe me I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN 🤣

But we’re not discussing if the haircuts will look good or not - tbh, no one should really be seeing anyone right now anyways 🤣

All of our local businesses are strongly pushing gift certificates right now. Many are offering some good deals, too. My hair salon has a special right now where they will give you a free custom color processing kit with the purchase of a gift card. Legally, it is still cash in their pockets now.
It is not cash in their pockets they can legally spend. While I understand many small business owners do “float” their gift card sales, they are only legally approved to spend the interest earned off gift card deposits. Just like sales tax deposits. And income taxes deducted from payroll. And monies deducted for insurance and 401k. Gift card money does not yet belong to the business and is a liability on a balance sheet.

Seriously. The holier than thou gets old.

So does the virus. Really old. Do I feel entitled or Holier-Than-Thou? No. Do you?

So next Wed. When I get my haircut. I’ll think of you.

And the next time I cough I'll think of you and your ilk trying to get one over on "The Man."

Edited to add: You may not be a troll, but you're starting to *really* get on my nerves with your so what attitude, so welcome to my Ignore list.

Last edited:
Can’t get a haircut by sending a gift card.
Different strokes for different folks. I’ll keep getting that haircut. Along with the folks enforcing the law. Cause they get em also.
Life is great when we all are different. Doing what works best for us and our family.
Exactly. The only grooming a firefighter needs to practice right now is keeping a clean shave for their breathing apparatus.
Seriously. The holier than thou gets old. Folks all over are doing what they can during this. Haircuts? Yes... some folks are still doing that. Shopping. Yes. Me or anyone else getting a haircut isn’t any more risky than going to any store to get what anyone needs We all walk right by each other. You can’t stay 6 feet apart. It’s none of my business what u do and that’s reciprocated. You do what u gotta do. I will for me and the kids. Life is simple. Stay in ones lane. So next Wed. When I get my haircut. I’ll think of you.
But you are a first responder and exposed to SO many people. Do you not care that you could give it to the hair dresser and her loved ones???? And then you go wasting time at Walmart. You are a perfect recipe for a super spreader. May God forgive you for anyone you infect and/or kill.

It is not cash in their pockets they can legally spend. While I understand many small business owners do “float” their gift card sales, they are only legally approved to spend the interest earned off gift card deposits. Just like sales tax deposits. And income taxes deducted from payroll. And monies deducted for insurance and 401k. Gift card money does not yet belong to the business and is a liability on a balance sheet.
Correct, it is a liability on paper, but cash in pocket. If someone buys a giftcard but never spends it, the business doesn't lose access to that money. Gift card liability is not the same as income tax or 401k liability.

Seriously. The holier than thou gets old. Folks all over are doing what they can during this. Haircuts? Yes... some folks are still doing that. Shopping. Yes. Me or anyone else getting a haircut isn’t any more risky than going to any store to get what anyone needs We all walk right by each other. You can’t stay 6 feet apart. It’s none of my business what u do and that’s reciprocated. You do what u gotta do. I will for me and the kids. Life is simple. Stay in ones lane. So next Wed. When I get my haircut. I’ll think of you.

Going to the grocery store once a week/once every 2 weeks is very different than someone wandering the Walmart aisles every day with their kids for entertainment and getting haircuts. You have to know that- if I’m in contact with 30 people once every 2 weeks and you’re in contact with 30 different people every single day we are at very different risks of being infectious. The really sad thing is despite everything I’m doing right if I pass someone irresponsibly at a higher risk like you at the grocery store, my risk goes up.

It‘s frustrating to know that I, or my loved ones, are at greater risk when they must go to the grocery store because someone else’s inability to stay at home. It’s not about protecting yourself, it’s about human decency not to spread this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter