Universal Adventures of Dreams AND Magic, and an expanding World!

jenseib

Mommy to Claire
Hi, I am Jennifer.

Photo0268FourBySix.jpg

For those who don't know me, I am a mother of 3, Michael (23), Paige (19) and Claire (7). Claire is my traveling buddy. My older 2 no longer go with us.
To make a long story short, My son doesn't get along well with my husband and Paige won't go anywhere without her boyfriend these days....
Niether are huge Disney fans either...which is a huge dissappointment. :headache:

Here is Claire. She loves everything Disney and she makes me very proud. :lovestruc

Photo2536FourBySix.jpg

I am married to Skip...and I hate to say it, but I don't really have a good recent picture of him. He was unable to come on our trip last year, and that is when I am usually able to get a picture of him. The last trip we went on as family was in 2009, so it's been awhile. We did do a 1 day trip to Cedar Point last year though.

Skip.jpg

Skip is what some call a resister...he seems to not want to go on vacations at all anymore.....while I want to do them more often. I do a lot of complaining about him, but he is a good guy...just doesn't see why anyone would ever "need" to vacation once a year, let alone a couple of times.

We have 2 very exciting trips planned this year....When I say we, I mean Claire and I....Skip will be coming on 1 of them, but the other he has chosen not to join, for 2 reasons. 1, he is a dairy farmer and that time of year can be busy, and 2, my family is going on that trip and he doesn't want to spend a week completely with them...:rolleyes:...though I have told him over and over that we can separate as often as we like. I think he may still be considering it, but it is booked without him at this point in time.

Edit to add. a 3rd trip has been thrown in now!

So what are these 3 exciting trips you may ask?
I'll start with trip number 2.
That is the family trip. We booked this back in Oct. and won't be going till Nov3rd of this year. My husband did give me hassle about this, but end the end he reasoned...happy wife, happy life... oh so true!
We will be cruising on the Disney Dream for 4 nights (nov. 4 ~ 8) and then heading off to Disney World for a few more nights. I know I will be staying 3 nights for sure, but I am thinking of extending it a few days more (again that has been met with grumbles).
Claire and I will have one cabin, My parents will be in an adjoining cabin. My one sister and her DH and 2 girls will have a cabin. My Aunt and Uncle will have an adjoining room to my sisters. Then we have 2 families of cousins along as well.

I have NEVER booked a trip that far in advance for myself.....EVER!
I still have a ton of planning to do for it, but I am not looking too much into it yet, since I haven't made my final decision on how many days we will stay afterwards. I have LOTS of time to plan.

More extensive planning for this trip starts on page 16, post #231.

Trip Number 3! This one was just booked a few days ago...at almost 6 weeks prior to leaving. I am currently playing a game to have you all guess what this trip is. Makes for some interesting fun to pass the time away.

The fun for this trip starts on page 51, post #759

Now for trip number 1.
This year we will be married 10 years, and I wanted to do something special, but the resister was fighting me on it. I had traveled twice last year, once with Claire and my Mom, who took Skip's place when he had to cancel last minute, and once by myself to go to a Disney education program. (both of those TR's are listed in my signature)
I finally just kind of gave up hope of doing anything and waiting till next year.
Skip then mentioned that we could go to Asheville NC to visit the Biltmore Mansion. This was something I had wanted to do for years. We had it planned that we would drive to a buddy's house and deliver a part, spend a day or 2 there and then drive to NC for a day or 2 and then stopping off at Gatlinburg on the way home. When we actually looked at a map and googled it, the drives were much longer than we thought...or hoped. At least 8 hours for each segment. This wasn't sounding too fantastic to me, but I didn't complain. Skip then came right out and said no way does he want to drive that long.
After looking at a few options over this past week, he came in Thursday night and told me that we might as well go to that "other" Disneyland park....Ok, he gets park names confused all the time, so I asked, "You mean in CA?" and he said, "No, the other one in FL". So I knew he meant Universal.
So I started looking up prices of flights. Skip wanted to leave Monday, March 12...Yes that is tomorrow...But the flights were sky high and hotel availability was next to none. I told him we should try for the week Claire was off on Spring break. The flights were less, but still high and I could find several hotels to choose from. The main key being he wanted it cheap.
After doing research and some hem-hawing around (with things like should we stay onsite and pay 1000 more, or just go cheap and get a free breakfast buffet. :rotfl2:)...the trip was booked today! :dance3:
We will be flying into Sanford Airport late March 26th and staying at the Quality Inn and Suites (formerly a Fairfield Inn). We have 3 day park to park tickets and will fly home Friday. March 30th. It's a short trip, but I'm sure we will be busy and have a good time.
I haven't been to Universal since 1999, and both Claire and Skip never have been.

After booking it, Skip almost regretted it and said maybe we should've stuck with Disney after all... :headache:...go figure. But he just doesn't like to try new things, so I'm sure he'll be OK after we get there.
I am very excited to start planning. I leave in 15 days!!! I have so much research to do. I am super excited about going to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Also it will be fun to be offsite and maybe get a look at other places in Orlando.

I am looking for any tips and suggestions that any of you may have.

That trip report has been started...

You can take the girl out of Disney, BUT.....

Thanks for joining me on my wild and crazy planning adventures!

SO excited for you Jen!!! Skip makes me laugh, he likes to keep you on your toes! :rotfl: :goodvibes I can't wait to hear all about it!

Universal trip sounds like fun. We went to Universal for one day a couple of years ago. I loved the Mummy ride. I really don't remember much about Universal besides they are pretty strict about taking bags on the rides, which was a problem for me cause I always have a big sized purse with me. I'm thinking there were lockers outside of each ride that I had to stow my stuff in...can't remember if they were free or not.

I am so definitely in here, Jen!

Best thing to wake up to ..... a Jen pre trip report!!!!!!!!!!!

I am looking forward to hearing all about Universal - my daughter was there with the high school band and loved it. Every year we say we will do Universal instead of or in addition to Disney, but the last few years I have been able to get a better deal at Disney and the cost of doing both is just too much (DH only wants to do Universal if we stay onsite). So, someday!

Skip reminds me of my DH.......

How exciting planning two trips. I love doing research on new places and things to do. We went to Universal two years ago. We really had a good time but my downfall was I kept comparing it to Disney. I need to work on that.;) My kids would really love to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter so who knows, we may be back someday.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

Well, it's about stinkin time! :lmao:

In the future you need to start a pre-pre-trip-report. You know.... Cuz it takes so much longer to figure out where you're going than it does to plan the dang thing!

But you have a getaway planned. YEAH! :dance3:

Can't wait to hear about it. I still need to use my free 1 day ticket from work....gotta go see Harry Potter before the end of the year.

Jill in CO

Can I assume you've checked out the Universal forum here on the DIS? I started nosing around over there when I thought we might do WWoHP on our last trip. If you have specific questins, Mesaboy2 is pretty up to date on all the Universal stuff.

I think you'll be fine with 3 days there. I don't think it will be hard to do it all in that time.

I can believe that in just 3 weeks, you can start your trip report! :thumbsup2

I am here! I have only been to Universal once (similar to Skip I am a if it's not broke don't fix it person) back in 1995. Although as of late I keep saying I want to go to the WWOHP but for right now the crowds are too big for me lol. Maybe when the Fantasy Land expansion is complete I will venture over there! Can't wait to hear the plans!

Subbing! I'm just finishing up your other TR (finally!) and have several fun suggestions for IOA! Back soon!

GET OUTTA TOWN! You're going that close to WDW and not going? Seriously, it sounds like a great trip and I can't wait to hear all of the details.

Voted!
Jen, we've been to Universal quite often (just not to Harry Potter), so if you have any questions, I'd love to help! :thumbsup2

I haven't been since 99. That's even before the other park was even opened. My family really has no liking to do that park. Which is fine with me. Funny thing is I'm going with my oldest and the marching band and were going for a day. I'm so not excited about that.

SO excited for you Jen!!! Skip makes me laugh, he likes to keep you on your toes! :rotfl: :goodvibes I can't wait to hear all about it!

He's a goofball. he put way too much thought and second guess himself constantly. I'm happy with going there, so he shouldn't worry. I know he really debated over staying onsite too. It was the free breakfast buffet that kept him at Quality Inn...if they had that onsite...he would've probably caved. I was hoping he would...but I didn't pressure him in any way, as if he didn't like it, I would be to blame for the extra expense. LOL!

Universal trip sounds like fun. We went to Universal for one day a couple of years ago. I loved the Mummy ride. I really don't remember much about Universal besides they are pretty strict about taking bags on the rides, which was a problem for me cause I always have a big sized purse with me. I'm thinking there were lockers outside of each ride that I had to stow my stuff in...can't remember if they were free or not.

I have read that about the bags too. I need to be doing more research on how that all works, but I have been going in circles all day..and lost the internet off and on too. I think there must've been an accident or something that took it out for awhile. I am rereading a couple of TR's by one gal. Barb, who writes fantastic Universal TR's and refreshing my memory with that a bit.
I't been quite a while for me and it will probably feel pretty new to me now after all those years.

I am so definitely in here, Jen!

Best thing to wake up to ..... a Jen pre trip report!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!! :cool1:

I am looking forward to hearing all about Universal - my daughter was there with the high school band and loved it. Every year we say we will do Universal instead of or in addition to Disney, but the last few years I have been able to get a better deal at Disney and the cost of doing both is just too much (DH only wants to do Universal if we stay onsite). So, someday!

Skip reminds me of my DH.......

I am really excited..yes bummed about not being at Disney, but I can put my total concentration on enjoying and exploring these parks.
Skip is very wishy washy. I really hope he likes this trip...but not too much and decides NOT to go back to Disney... :laughing:
I would've loved to stay onsite, but it was $1000 more and I knew Skip was trying to keep this cheap. At first when I was playing around with it, it came up A lot less, and Skip said, YES, but then I realized that I didn't have tickets added and of course that changed the price...he asked about perks...and to him that means free meals...or something material, the express pass to him is no big deal, because he has no clue what it is. :rotfl:

How exciting planning two trips. I love doing research on new places and things to do. We went to Universal two years ago. We really had a good time but my downfall was I kept comparing it to Disney. I need to work on that.;) My kids would really love to see The Wizarding World of Harry Potter so who knows, we may be back someday.

I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

I hope I don't do that. I think I did a good job at Sea World last year, it definitely wasn't Disney, but it was still fun and new to do. I debated adding a day there again, but it would be so much for just 1 day and we would only have 2 days at Universal. If we had another full day, I probably would've done it because at Sea World you can come back the next day for free.

Well, it's about stinkin time! :lmao:

In the future you need to start a pre-pre-trip-report. You know.... Cuz it takes so much longer to figure out where you're going than it does to plan the dang thing!

But you have a getaway planned. YEAH! :dance3:

You are so right...the when's? the wheres? the hows? :rotfl2:
Hopefully in a few years time, my business will be booming and I'll have enough money coming in that I'll just say "we are going on this day...if you want to come, you can".

Can't wait to hear about it. I still need to use my free 1 day ticket from work....gotta go see Harry Potter before the end of the year.

Jill in CO

Yes, you need to get that used. I wish we had free tickets, but unfortunately the Dairy farm (that my husband owns) doesn't give those out. :lmao:

I voted. Good luck!

Thanks so much.

Can I assume you've checked out the Universal forum here on the DIS? I started nosing around over there when I thought we might do WWoHP on our last trip. If you have specific questins, Mesaboy2 is pretty up to date on all the Universal stuff.

I think you'll be fine with 3 days there. I don't think it will be hard to do it all in that time.

I can believe that in just 3 weeks, you can start your trip report! :thumbsup2

Yes, I actually read it here and there and I always try to follow Barb (Bubbasmom) when she writes her stuff up. I actually emailed her too and she gave me some great tips. I think I'll print that out and take it with me.
I pray it isn't crazy busy, but I'll get by. I need to get the hours written down too. Wow, there is so much to do in 2 weeks time....2 weeks from right now, we'll be sitting at the airport...close to boarding time.

I am here! I have only been to Universal once (similar to Skip I am a if it's not broke don't fix it person) back in 1995. Although as of late I keep saying I want to go to the WWOHP but for right now the crowds are too big for me lol. Maybe when the Fantasy Land expansion is complete I will venture over there! Can't wait to hear the plans!

Hello!!!!! :goodvibes I can be that way too, but I do like to try new things as well. Skip is really set in stone. Every so often we try something new..and then he is willing to go back to it again. I think he is afraid of stuff he's not familiar with...and it can be scary, but we'll make it.
I can't wait to photograph Hogwarts!!! :worship:

Subbing! I'm just finishing up your other TR (finally!) and have several fun suggestions for IOA! Back soon!

Howdy!! I would love any suggestions and tips you have. It's been a LONG time since I went...and I've never been to IOA.

GET OUTTA TOWN! You're going that close to WDW and not going? Seriously, it sounds like a great trip and I can't wait to hear all of the details.

I know! I actually booked a dinner at Ohanas, but I think I'm gonna cancel it. I just think paying $75 plus tax and tip for a meal out of pocket is too much and Skip would flip out. I am thinking that a visit to DTD before we head to the airport on Friday might work out though.

Forgot to give you a link to a great Universal Studios trip report. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2760721

Thanks so much. I haven't had a chance to get over and look at much lately. This will definitely help!

Voted!
Jen, we've been to Universal quite often (just not to Harry Potter), so if you have any questions, I'd love to help! :thumbsup2

Thanks!
I would love any suggestions you have. It's been so long since I last went and never to IOA.

I haven't been since 99. That's even before the other park was even opened. My family really has no liking to do that park. Which is fine with me. Funny thing is I'm going with my oldest and the marching band and were going for a day. I'm so not excited about that.

We might've been there the same time. :laughing: I think it was May 99 when we went and I could see IOA, but it wasn't finished yet. I looked longinly at it and said...next year we are going...and then a few mionths later I broke up with the jerk I was with and I was dirt poor for quite awhile, so I couldn't get back there. Actually, we had bought a weeks stay at a timeshare place to give it a trial, and I was supposed to have it when we broke up, so I could still take the kids...and he took his new wife (yes he got married 2 months after I moved out and was only maried just over a year to that winner) and her kids on the sly, so when I went to book it, it was already used up. I had all the paperwork, so I have no clue how he did it. I was so mad....I could've afforded some tickets and food, but adding a hotel was too much.

Give it a try though, it should be pretty fun for a day. I do remember liking Universal BETTER than MGM. (Don't throw tomatoes at me!)

It's been a wild day. The internet went out for a bit, I had to grocery shop..or we might starve....plus I bought myslef 2 new summer dresses...:rolleyes1 I had to, because nothing fits...since I keep gaining weight, instead of losing..Homework with Claire, some work...which is always good and now I have to start packing...yep..Claire has bugged me non stop to start, so I told her we would sort out what toiletries we are bringing.....I know you are wishing you could help too!;)

For those who don't know me, I am a mother of 3, Michael (23), Paige (19) and Claire (7). Claire is my traveling buddy. My older 2 no longer go with us.
To make a long story short, My son doesn't get along well with my husband and Paige won't go anywhere without her boyfriend these days....
Niether are huge Disney fans either...which is a huge dissappointment. :headache:

Here is Claire. She loves everything Disney and she makes me very proud. :lovestruc

I think you should disown them. :laughing:

Then you can adopt me!:love: I would be happy to go to Disney with you 10-12 times a year. I'm about the same mental level as Claire, although she may be more mature.:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter