Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I get that, but no concrete idea of what the park will be like in terms of licensed and studio-owned IP now? If they would confirm whether they're doing an extension of WW/FB, Nintendo, et al -- they could confirm it in a broad sense without giving anything away.

They could. But why not save that ammo for later. For us, yeah, this was not news. But for the vast majority of people, the fact that a new park is coming was a bombshell.

It sounds like everything i'm hearing in regards to transportation needs to be limited to only buses and the potential train stopping at the convention center. Universal isn't like Disney and doesn't own all of the land between parks, so they need A LOT of things to get approved from several sources to begin any type of transportation with an even larger amount of permits required. Just doesn't seem like an option.

The night bus is a great idea as mentioned by @Disxuni. perfect advertising too

I suspect any non-bus transport between the old and new areas won't happen until a while after the park opens. There's still a lot of unused land after this, enough room for even another park potentially (or at least water park), and if Lockheed moved, there's enough room for a new park right there by itself. Athough any of that is probably 12-15 years out.

I'm rather underwhelmed by this. When Universal announced the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in May 2007, they had an initial open date of fall 2009/spring 2010. Why not something similar for Epic Universe?

So vague and irritating.

because if they give a date then people will get mad if it's delayed. It will be done when it's done. This seems much bigger than harry potter world and probably much harder to come up with an exact date.

I get that, but no concrete idea of what the park will be like in terms of licensed and studio-owned IP now? If they would confirm whether they're doing an extension of WW/FB, Nintendo, et al -- they could confirm it in a broad sense without giving anything away.

The CEO said it pretty clear in the presentation:

"it's because of competitive pressure.... we're all battling for the time of a visiting guest to come to our location, and to share the details of what we have in mind with the competition is something we have no interest in doing"

If they say they're doing a nintendo world then disney may try to get the upper hand on them and start building their own video game IP attractions.

"we don't want to disadvantage visitation between now and the future we want people to continue to come"

They don't want people to stop going to universal because they're waiting for the new park.

Last edited:

Universal needs to take their sweet time with this. Yes they rush things out faster then Disney but it shows in the details. Diagon Alley is the only thing they ever beat Disney on when it comes to details

Just do it right. Hopefully zero screen based 3D rides and something new and special. Or if you are going to do those kind of rides, go the forbidden journey route

Time will tell. Looking forward to it

It sounds like everything i'm hearing in regards to transportation needs to be limited to only buses and the potential train stopping at the convention center. Universal isn't like Disney and doesn't own all of the land between parks, so they need A LOT of things to get approved from several sources to begin any type of transportation with an even larger amount of permits required. Just doesn't seem like an option.

The night bus is a great idea as mentioned by @Disxuni. perfect advertising too

They've already got the transportation plans in general in place.

The Kirkman road expansion project is already underway co-funded between Universal and the city. It has dedicated bus lanes on the entire route from current location to new park (shared between Universal and the city) for quick transportation that doesn't need to deal with regular traffic.

It's slated for completion in in 3-5 years (which many speculate with Universal in charge of it will be on the lower end of that) , coincidentally the same timeframe that the new park is rumored to open.

Edit: here is a slide from one of the city's more recent development plan presentations:

Last edited:
I'm rather underwhelmed by this. When Universal announced the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in May 2007, they had an initial open date of fall 2009/spring 2010. Why not something similar for Epic Universe?

So vague and irritating.

Maybe because they're building an entire new park and not just one land?

Just wild speculation here, but in the next couple of years, Chris Colfer’s “Land of Stories” films will begin coming out. These are going to be massive in Universal’s demographic.

If you’re at all familiar with the series, it’s tailor-made for an immersive theme park.

Just wild speculation here, but in the next couple of years, Chris Colfer’s “Land of Stories” films will begin coming out. These are going to be massive in Universal’s demographic.

If you’re at all familiar with the series, it’s tailor-made for an immersive theme park.
I've just recently added these to my reading list. Now I really can't wait to start them

If it happens at all, The Land of Stories will be Disney, not Universal, as FOX got it.

As a huge Chris Colfer fan, I closely follow the project and it seems so far it's still under way. There is talks that a lot of the FOX films have been placed on the chopping block (allegedly hundreds) once Disney bought FOX, but I felt relieved when Chris on Instagram recently posted photos of him going to British Columbia stating he's hoping they get to film the Land of Stories there eventually and posted a lot of pictures of the scenery. I truly hope that this film is a success, not only to launch his career further, but the idea of seeing the unique twist on these fairy tales come to life would be amazing.

The only conflict I can see is that a lot of stories Chris has "told" technically Disney has "told" as well, and therefore would contradict each other. So therefore, the only way I can see it working is either Universal does in fact get it somehow get the rights to the book to generate a land for this, or Disney creates a separate theme park entirely for The Land of Stories to separate those characters from their own, which both ideas I doubt will ever happen, as both would require aN obscene amount of money.

Last edited:
Epic Universe is expected to open in 2023

Link
Fantastic news. That's a year or two faster than I figured.

Hopefully they won't pull a Disney SWGE and that opening date is when just the retail spaces and maybe the hotel open. Then 2 years later offer rides. :D

Last edited:
No Nintendo Land until 2023. Meanwhile Japan gets it next year. :(

Oh well. I guess I can’t be surprised given the lack of info during the last announcement.

Oh well. I guess I can’t be surprised given the lack of info during the last announcement.

Maybe they'll pull another SW:GE and randomly announce things at 12am

Hollywood get Nintendo before Orlando as well. But I believe Orlando will get the most complete land. I know Hollywood will not have the Yoshi ride (they get Secret Life of Pets instead in a different area) and I want to say Japan is missing the Donkey Kong Coaster.

Orlando will have the land fully realized.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter