Universal's Epic Universe - News and Discussion

Are you excited for Epic Universe?

• Yes

• No

• I'm excited for everything but the name.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Fingers crossed the Pokemon/Springfield & Poseidon's Fury/Zelda rumours for Islands are true, they would be huge additions to the park.
I think both rumors are very likely. According to Alicia, Zelda has been in the cards for a few years now. As for Springfield, Universal's license on the Simpsons expires in a few years. If they do not renew (which I do not think they will seeing as Disney owns the Simpsons now), they will be forced to get rid of Springfield.

I think both rumors are very likely. According to Alicia, Zelda has been in the cards for a few years now. As for Springfield, Universal's license on the Simpsons expires in a few years. If they do not renew (which I do not think they will seeing as Disney owns the Simpsons now), they will be forced to get rid of Springfield.
Guess I better figure out who Zelda is start playing Pokemon!

This all looks great. I hope they don’t mess with the classic monsters too much. I was going to skip Epic Universe the first year or two it opened since I’m sure it will be packed. However, my kids are getting older and I want to explore Mario and how to train your dragon before they age out. Guess are 2025 WDW trip is getting switched to Universal.
We are in the same boat. I have a 14 year old. By the time this opens she will probably be 16. We will be checking it out for sure!

Actually it's quite easy to complain! 🤣

Their prices have already creeped up to an area that makes us look elsewhere for vacation spots. Food used to be cheaper at Universal compared to Disney. It isn't anymore. The Stay More Save More rooms we always book are harder to come by and need to be booked a year in advance for RPR.

We have already decided to take a year off from Orlando because of the cost.

I feel like when Epic opens the prices will be even higher. I also feel like Disney will have huge discounts at this time, because they will need them. We are already leaning to Disney in 2025 anticipating this.

It's weird how things work sometimes. Universal has had us as die hard fans for years. Cost and experience was the reasons. But jack the cost and add in crazy crowds, most likely no premium resort express at Epic and they lose many people like us. Yes they will gain many new customers with the amazing new park, but will loose a few if the pricing structure is too arrogant.
I was just thinking this too. I welcome all of the Disney deals! LOL!

Yep. My kids love Harry Potter and Mario way more than Mickey. Once kids pass the Mickey's Mouse Clubhouse/Disney Princess age, Disney has less appeal. If it wasn't for Star Wars and to a much lesser degree Guardians of the Galaxy, my kids wouldn't care about returning to WDW at all. I showed my eldest Universal put out yesterday and his response was, "it's like Universal actually wants the guests to be happy, and Disney just wants money." I did point out that Universal wants money too, LOL.

But lately, it just feels like Disney is running a timeshare business with the theme parks as bait.
Totally agree. Our last WDW was just over New Years and DD 10 was definitely not as enthused. She still had fun but it seemed “not very exciting”. Definitely can do 2-3 days at WDW and be fine instead of week. Maybe it’s because we have gone 2-3 times a year. But now she is out of the princess stage and it’s just not the same for her. Now Harry Potter is a love for our whole family and we are visiting for the first time in 2 weeks. She is beyond excited. Classic Nintendo has the nostalgia for us 90s kids. Harry Potter is still nostalgic but current at the same time in some way (the first book did come out 26 years ago).

I think the Universal stuff appeals more to kids now and they will build nostalgia for that and pass it to their future families. Just yesterday at her school it was dress as your favorite movie or book character. 4 girls in her grade (48 kids total) dressed as Hermione Granger and one boy was Harry Potter. A few preschool and kindergarten kids were wearing princess dresses or Toy Story, but literally no kid over the age of 6 had any Disney character stuff.

Not at all. Lots and lots of animatronics.
To add onto that, the main attraction in Dark Universe is rumored to be the same ride system as Forbidden Journey but is going to have a ton of animatronics and focus less on screens. I'm very happy with that as the screens combined with the movement of the Kuka arm in Forbidden Journey make me so insanely motion sick.

Not sure where the 9 ride thing comes from, long-time rumors that all seem to be backed up by construction photos say 11.

Celestial Park - 1. Starfall Racers coaster, 2. Carousel
Nintendo - 3. Mario Kart, 4. Donkey Kong coaster, 5. Yoshi omnimover
Monsters Universe - 6. Indoor Kuka arm ride, 7. Spinning coaster
How to Train Your Dragon - 8. Family coaster, 9. Sky Fly ride, 10. Boat ride
Harry Potter - 11. Ministry of Magic ride

There are supposed to be a couple of shows as well.

Is the renewal a set price or can Disney charge whatever they want? If the price was already agreed upon under Fox then I don’t see why Universal wouldn’t renew, it’s a very good ride.

Is the renewal a set price or can Disney charge whatever they want? If the price was already agreed upon under Fox then I don’t see why Universal wouldn’t renew, it’s a very good ride.
From my understanding it is the rights holder who sets the price. For example JK Rowling and Warner Bros. would set the price for Universal's license for HP (Rowling also had some set conditions for the IP that Universal had to agree to). So theoretically Disney could charge some insane price for the Simpsons. I really don't think they're going to renew but I could be proven wrong.

From my understanding it is the rights holder who sets the price. For example JK Rowling and Warner Bros. would set the price for Universal's license for HP (Rowling also had some set conditions for the IP that Universal had to agree to). So theoretically Disney could charge some insane price for the Simpsons. I really don't think they're going to renew but I could be proven wrong.
Yes, that's correct. However, with Marvel, Universal's contract was a brilliant bargain for them as at the time of signing it Marvel wasn't doing too well, so the contract was cheap and endless - so nothing Disney can do about ending that. With the Simpsons I feel Disney wants to play hard ball and Universal have other great ideas for the area, so win win for Universal.

Disney is in a tight spot on that one IMO.

Do they really want to use Simpsons in the park? Probably not. It really does not fit that supposed family friendly thing.
If they can get paid by Universal and not have to build anything new seems like a good thing. Plus they probably get royalties from all the merchandise.
Anything they do will be compared to what Universal did so there is that as well.

What they may do is make a deal to allow them to use some of the Marvel characters in Florida. That would make more sense IMO. Too bad they have driven down the value of those characters with their mediocracy.

All that said - Id be fine with seeing Simpsons go, its a nice area, but have they really done all that much with it.
The main ride is just a retrofit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter