Unplugged of the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
what a fascinating couple weeks it's been with this show.

-I think Ryno has the talent to be the host. I do agree he gets distracted and carries on off topic. I thought the 'off the rails' show solved a lot of of that, but it was a different time and frankly they don't have the cast to support a second show at this point.

-Pete was a pro. He was a legitimate host and entertainer. I know that's not his primary career but there's a reason why this weekly segment became so popular. Denni (Deni?) was a total pro as well. Her loss was huge, Pete's departure is even more difficult.

I think you need one host and stick to it. I've seen a lot of suggestions about guest hosts or a revolving door of hosts but that's not the answer IMO. If it's going to be Ryno I'm cool with that. But in that scenario, I suggest Ryno makes more of an effort to keep people focused/on topic and moving along.

It's one thing to guest host and have fun with it but when you're the full-time lead, you need to tighten things up a bit while the others provide the color commentary.

Wow. I'm amazed at how many people are already saying that Pete's replacement (whomever that may be) will be terrible. How about we actually give the person a chance?

I've been following the podcast for many, many years. Since the Bob Varley days. I've seen people come and go. I've actually made friends with several of the podcasters. I do like to hear about what goes on in their personal lives as it shows how they experience life in general and makes them more "human".

Kudos to Pete for realizing that his lack of passion for the parks meant that it was time to move away the Unplugged show. I will miss his insights on general topics, no matter how out of reach his tastes and lifestyle is now for the average listener.

For the future, I hope that:

1) The first 15 minutes of every show are not spent on “wellness checks”. Save your personal issues for the after show.

2) The cast of locals sticks to Pete’s intension that the show return to a trip planning focus and not view everything through the prism of a local and not be dismissive of things that they have no use for or can’t afford (ie Minnie Vans).

3) We aren’t subjected to weekly rants about the “poor CMs” and how they can’t afford this, that, or the other thing. Constant discussions of living wages and such don’t help anybody looking for trip planning advice.

I’m sure there are other things others can point to for improvement. Having Pete as the host gave the show a cache that put it a cut above the rest. I hope the remaining group can pull together a cohesive show that is true to its original purpose.
1. They get bombarded with emails and messages asking about the team, it's best to address it on the show. If you know the first 15 minutes aren't for you, either tune in 15 minutes late or if you listen later fast-forward a bit. I have to skip the first 10 minutes of Marc Maron's podcast every time, but I still listen to the rest.

2. That's TOO focused and will get repetitive. The show covers any and all things Disney worth covering, with a lean on the parks.

3. If it's in the news, why wouldn't they talk about it? Especially when members of the team are former cast members, they have insights you or I may not.

I just hope the show continues to evolve and get better. Of course I'll miss Pete, he was always the best part of every show he was on.

Well, everything that you want is absolutely everything I do not want!

1. So you don't want to know how the cast of a show you enjoy are doing?

2. Minnie Vans ARE stupid.

3. I can afford things so I don't care if others cant. I think that's the gist of your third point.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the direction the show takes. They cant please everyone. Do I want to listen to an hour about how to make dining reservations? No, I do not but I am sure that someone else does.
Why are Minnie Vans stupid? As a solo female traveler, I feel better knowing that the drivers are Disney cast members and usually woman. Ride share has had many assaults. In 2017 and 2018 alone, there were over 9000 reports just with Uber for sexual assaults. To my knowledge, that has never been an issue with Minnie Vans. Some of us have to worry about our safety.

Why are Minnie Vans stupid? As a solo female traveler, I feel better knowing that the drivers are Disney cast members and usually woman. Ride share has had many assaults. In 2017 and 2018 alone, there were over 9000 reports just with Uber for sexual assaults. To my knowledge, that has never been an issue with Minnie Vans. Some of us have to worry about our safety.
Unfortunately, many people feel that it is legitimate criticism to say “if I can’t afford it, then it’s bad and not good for anybody.” I hadn’t even thought of your point, and it only strengthens my opinion that MV are a great option.

Yeah, I travel with my special needs sons solo sometimes and prefer a Minnie Van over a standard rideshare. We did an Uber from a water park in 2016 and it was super uncomfortable because he got lost going back to GF and we ended up in that neighborhood BEHIND MK and the whole time, I was panicking because we were going the wrong way and he just kept saying "don't worry, this is a shortcut." I seriously thought we were being abducted. Never again when my husband isn't with us. Spoiler alert: it was not a shortcut. He went the wrong way. Took us over 30 minutes to get back to the GF. We will use Minnie Vans this summer if needed.

I hope it doesn't turn into just a trip planning show. There other places for that also. I have not been to the parks since 2008 and miss it greatly. I don't have the money to go now. It has priced itself from me. I like the feeling of what's going on at the parks and such so it feels like I have missed nothing. I also really like the panel, that makes the show. Pete really has a great presence but Craig and Ryno do a good job as well and I understand they are not Pete. Pete has also quite the podcast before if I remember and he came back. I will just have to watch the other shows also to get my Pete fix. I expect to get some trip planning things on the show but I hope it's not the bulk of it.

Alweasel

I do think that most of the listeners for DIS Unplugged are basically super fans of Disney and don't need help trip planning. One of my favorite parts of the show is hearing Pete's opinion on the news stuff - like the dumb **** DeSantis mess. and anything really. I really value his opinion.

Well, everything that you want is absolutely everything I do not want!

1. So you don't want to know how the cast of a show you enjoy are doing?

2. Minnie Vans ARE stupid.

3. I can afford things so I don't care if others cant. I think that's the gist of your third point.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see the direction the show takes. They cant please everyone. Do I want to listen to an hour about how to make dining reservations? No, I do not but I am sure that someone else does.
me too

Wow. I'm amazed at how many people are already saying that Pete's replacement (whomever that may be) will be terrible. How about we actually give the person a chance?

I've been following the podcast for many, many years. Since the Bob Varley days. I've seen people come and go. I've actually made friends with several of the podcasters. I do like to hear about what goes on in their personal lives as it shows how they experience life in general and makes them more "human".
There are 100 other Disney podcasts I don't listen to. I've kept up with The Dis Unplugged every week for 7 years because of the people on the show, including their personal lives and feelings.

The only reason to listen is for the commentary. Otherwise it’s a podcast version of DFB. And then it boils down to who does the best job.

One might say things get .... off the rails? 😄

Is this referring to a specific episode? If so - do you happen to know which one? I've fallen WAY behind and won't ever be able to listen to all of them that I've missed. But this sounds like a fun one to watch!

I literally use the podcast as something to listen to while I mow the lawn or garden. It's great company and easy listening for the most part. After a few years of listening I'm invested in this group of people. Would I rather have Pete every show...sure. But that's why I'm more into the DVC show right now even though I don't have a DVC and probably won't buy one for a few years if that. I love Paul and his wife and Pete.

1) Personally, I don’t care about how the cast is feeling, especially for the first 10 minutes of every show.

2) My SO would be extremely less interested in extensive park visitations if there wasn’t the MV option. They’re not interested in the gypsy cab option of a local Uber/Lyft.

3) Some on the show like to project their own feelings from their times as CMs or TMs to complain about wages. As a tourist, what the employees make doesn’t really play into my vacation planning, so the constant discussions about it are a waste of time IMHO.
The treatment of employees is something I factor in to vacation planning

I literally use the podcast as something to listen to while I mow the lawn or garden. It's great company and easy listening for the most part. After a few years of listening I'm invested in this group of people. Would I rather have Pete every show...sure. But that's why I'm more into the DVC show right now even though I don't have a DVC and probably won't buy one for a few years if that. I love Paul and his wife and Pete.
“Great company” is a good way to put it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter