Unpopular Opinions

mylittlebuttercup

DIS Veteran
What are some of your opinions about DCL/ports/excursions/etc. that many other people seem to disagree with?

For me personally, I liked Atlantis. I know a lot of people don't think it is worth it or didn't enjoy it, but we will be going back there for our second cruise this summer.

What's your unpopular opinion?

Tipping in Palo and Remy, seems a few do not want to do it.
Toy Story show on the Wonder, a full house laughing and enjoying and a standing ovation, a few here do not like it.
Verandah a must in Alaska, a few do not agree. (Prices show most agree).

One thing that annoys is there are people with strong opinions but have never ever done it themselves.

I know this my sea going background talking.....but taking the Muster drill seriously and knowing where the life vest is and trying on your Life vest, etc. I know many people think it a waste of pool time, but if and God forbid, there is a real emergency, they will regret not knowing what to do!

AKK

Last edited:

Grand Cayman, imnsho, is a poop-hole. The beach is nice....but its just a beach. The rest of the place, including the dolphin swim place, is a little scarey/sad. They don't even make an attempt at deceiving the tourists like Cozumel (which is terribly interesting IF you get the right horse-drawn carriage driver. DO NOT ATTEMPT A SELF-GUIDED TOUR> Note all the protective bars on the nicer houses). Hell, in GC, is interesting for about 10 minutes but hardly warrants the terrible/crowded/pricey/unsafe? bus ride to get there. Well, anyhow, I just don't like the place and shall not get off there IF we end up with that rotation..........

One thing that annoys is there are people with strong opinions but have never ever done it themselves.

I agree with this in some situations but not all. For instance, if someone says they don't like a certain port and have never actually been there, I think that might be a bit unfair. However, if they simply said the port adventures at that port didn't appeal to them, that would be more understandable to me. And obviously if they have been there and didn't like it, they have first-hand experience.

But if someone says, you must eat at Remy to enjoy your cruise, and people disagree, I don't think they need to have actually eaten there to disagree. By having a great time without having done it, they have a valid argument that it is not a "must," for them personally at least. We all have different "must-dos" based on our personal experiences.

I have to agree with you on Atlantis, we loved our day there and can't wait to do it again.

I do not like the Golden Mickeys. There, I said it......this seems to be a very popular show with a LOT of folks on this board and while I respect that, we just did not enjoy it and opted to leave during the show and have not watched it since then. Our FAVORITE show is Villains Tonight which seems to be unpopular on this board but we love it! :goodvibes

I also don't understand some folks that say you should have Palo brunch instead of dinner if you want a view. Every time that we've had dinner in Palo we have always had gorgeous views. Obviously, if you wait until it's full dark you will not have a view but if you get there early enough you will have a gorgeous view.

Have you cruised Alaska without a veranda?
Toy Story show on the Wonder, a full house laughing and enjoying and a standing ovation, a few here do not like it.

The Pirate Night Buffet is IMHO way overrated. It was like a feeding frenzy of great whites in chummed water!!

I don't understand how I see people fussing about Cabanas on embarkation day yet raving about the Pirate Night Buffet. It is WAY crazier that night than I have EVER seen it embarkation day.

We had a great time on the Alaska cruise last year with an oceanview room. The verandah prices were way too high.
I like Nassau better than Grand Cayman. Imho, there is more to do in Nassau, and I thought it was cleaner than Grand Cayman. However, I did enjoy 7 mile beach in Grand Cayman.
I loved the town of Skagway. The National Park Service has done a nice job in preserving and restoring old buildings. They also have a very nice brewpub in town. I know some people think Skagway is a tourist trap, but I liked Skagway very much.
I enjoy Castway Cay but I think it is over-rated. I would rather hang out at Cocoa Beach.

MUN

Another one that sparks heated conversations is how to dress for formal and semi formal night. I really could care less about what others around me are wearing. I don't get why it gets some so upset.

People also can be very opinionated on what ship(s) is the "best". I have found that if your first cruise was on the Magic or Wonder you tend to like those better and if you first went on the Dream or Fantasy you like those better. BUT I think they are probably all great ships and it is personal preference on what is "better".

I don't get getting a Cabana on CC (especially since they are overpriced for just a few hours of use). For my family we actually would not want a cabana on CC. We spend time walking around, eating, in the water, etc...

PAT is also over rated. When we had a 10:30 PAT (boarding number 2) and they announced a new number about every 60 seconds and everyone was trying to board at once. It was crazy! I do understand if you want to get there early to see about an upgrade but other than that I don't get it. Also for those that have a later PAT but show up before 10 am. Then that creates a line that takes about a hour to get through. It just seems like there is a better way.

Last edited:
What are some of your opinions about DCL/ports/excursions/etc. that many other people seem to disagree with?

For me personally, I liked Atlantis. I know a lot of people don't think it is worth it or didn't enjoy it, but we will be going back there for our second cruise this summer.

What's your unpopular opinion?

I don't feel using my DVC points for cruising is a waste. But, watch, I will receive responses arguing the point that it is not a good way to spend my points........

Interesting about Atlantis though. I am glad that people love it there but for us spending that much money and receiving a lot less than we have in previous port adventures elsewhere kind of did that port in for us. Even though we ate lunch at 11:30, they were already out of Cesar dressing for their salads and were also out of cookies for their kid's meals. Little things surely but at a hundred dollars a person and there are five of us, I expect what is on their menu to be available especially since we ate at an early time. I would travel with DCL there again, perhaps to solidify my opinion, but would never spend a week there as a guest of that resort. It would bug me that here comes all the cruiser clogging the walkways and overtaking the services......

We didn't know anything about the buffet after pirate night and just walked over taking our time and it was pretty empty and we were first in line for the crepe station. I wouldn't know of any craziness if it weren't for these boards. It was so low key for us.

I guess our unpopular opinion is that we were able to have a fabulous vacation without spending any money out of pocket besides the cost of the cruise and tips. We had some onboard credit, some gift cards given to us for $25 each, and one excursion gifted to us which was nice, but even without that we would have had a fabulous time just with what was included.

Slight hijack, 'possible unpopular opinions about posting video of your cruise on YouTube' (this is fresh in my mind after a couple of hours of surfing last night).

--We don't know your family, so please give us SOME footage of the ship itself if you're posting for the general public.
--Stop spinning around in circles so fast when something new catches your attention
--Please stop using your selfie stick to shoot footage up your own nose (see point 1)
--We know what the ocean looks like, show us unusual details of the ship
--Please take your GoPro off 'drunk mode'. (I don't know what it is, some sort of live panoramic/fisheye view, it reminds me of when you're watching a TV show or movie from the POV of someone who is drunk or drugged, everything is warped, and it makes me motion sick as heck.)

Obviously I can't tell you how to shoot your vacation video, but you're putting it on YouTube because you want strangers to watch it, right?

Last edited:
Slight hijack, 'possible unpopular opinions about posting video of your cruise on YouTube' (this is fresh in my mind after a couple of hours of surfing last night).

--We don't know your family, so please give us SOME footage of the ship itself if you're posting for the general public.
--Stop spinning around in circles so fast when something new catches your attention
--Please stop using your selfie stick to shoot footage up your own nose
--We know what the ocean looks like, show us unusual details of the ship
--Please take your GoPro off 'drunk mode'. (I don't know what it is, some sort of live panoramic/fisheye view, it reminds me of when you're watching a TV show or movie from the POV of someone who is drunk or drugged, everything is warped, and it makes me motion sick as heck.)

Obviously I can't tell you how to shoot your vacation video, but you're putting it on YouTube because you want people to watch it, right?
Totally off topic, but this is my kids' new favorite youtube video

Oh, and I'll unpopular opinion an unpopular opinion: yeah, sometimes there's no substitute for being there, but I think an adequate amount of research qualifies someone to hold as strong an opinion as they like. If that weren't the case, we wouldn't have people who are designated experts in subjects like WWII. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter