Updates on AVERY. (good news update pg 33 post 489!)

NHAnn

Survivor
I thought my first post on this board would be about my dear mom....8 years ago (at age 72)she had brain surgery for 2 anuerysms, she stroked, she was comatose for many weeks, in rehab for many mroe and in a nursing home since. But she has defied all odds, and surpassed all projections as to extent of recovery, even from world renowned neurosurgeons at Mass General. When Marsha started this board, I posted mom's pic at her 80th birthday in September, with her 83 yr old sister. A couple of weeks after the party she fell and broke her hip. She developed pnuemonia nd we almost lost her one night when she was in extremem resiratory distress. But she rallied and a week after the hip surgery was backat the nursing home and kicking butt at physical therapy and winning bingo games as usual.

Thanksgiving morning we got a call that she had been taken to the ER...she has pneumonia again. :(

But yesterday afternoon we were dealt another devastating blow...not about my mom, about my most precious first grandchild, my 5 year old Avery. He was diagnosed with luekemia. I can't even get my mind around this. He was not feeling well at the T-day table, I was a bit distracted worried about mom, but DIL said he hadn't been himself for a week or so. I noticed his color was off and he was unusually whiney and tired but I thought maybe he was getting a little cold, and they also mentioned he'd had a flu shot Monday. DH did remark on the way home that he was concerned about how sick he looked. Apparently he got worse Friday ...and yesterday they decided not to wait for his Monday appt and got him in to the doc yeaterday afternoon. Based on the physical exam and some rushed preliminary blood work they said he appeared to have luekemia, wanted him to go ASAP to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center in Hanover, an hour or so from here, for a transfusion. They said plan on him being there at least a week, probably 2, maybe more depending on the further testing and treatment. They called us to come stay with his two little sisters. DIL's mom came up from Mass today and took over there. We do not know much more today, waiting for word on today's testing and meetings with pediatric oncologist. I can't even grasp that...pediatric oncologist.... I know medicine is wonderful now and he is in good hands there...but my heart is breaking. Please pray for my little guy.

edited to change title....we're out of shock and denial mode and ready for the battle!! :thumbsup2

I'm so sorry about your news. :guilty: When life gets too much, just give it to God and let him deal with it. It's in God's hands now. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

I'm sending you some extra pixie dust your way. pixiedust:

Ann... I just read this, I have pm'd you, and we will start praying for the little one....Hang in there, know we are here for you..

Dear God, how many more of us with these dreaded diseases...

Your grandson will be in our prayers and thoughts....it is always harder to deal with these things when they happen to young ones. But don't forget kids have a lot of fight in them and are stronger and smarter than we give them credit for.

:grouphug: Ann - you and your grandson will be in my prayers!

I will keep you all in my prayers. It is so tough to watch a child suffer with an illness.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I work in a children's hospital and I can assure you, they will do everything in their power to help him. It just isn't fair. Kids shouldn't get cancer. :furious: Where is that kicking the dog icon when you need it?

Many prayers being said for Avery, dear friend. I always will remember his Christmas Sweater picture a few years back. One of my all time favorite pictures.

As the above poster said, in the Children's Hospitals they work as hard as they can. This is so true as you know George used to work at a children's hospital.

Always know I am here for you. I am praying for peace for you and the family during this time.

"God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."
(Psalms 46:1)

Teri :hug:

I am so sorry to hear of your news. Prayers and hugs are with you. Dartmouth Hitchcock is wonderful. My kids go there for their surgery. They were born with a cleft lip and palate. In my opinion they have the best Doctors. Best wishes for your grandson. Please keep us updated.

Ann my heart is breaking for you. Prayers for your little guy and the rest of your family.

You and your entire family are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that your mother continues to improve and your grandson gets well very soon.

I'm so sorry Ann.....man, you've had more than your share I would say. I'll be praying for your grandson as well as your mom. Dear God....when is this going to stop!!!!! Too many stories of this dread disease. Know that we are here for you.....praying, praying, praying!!!!!

thank you all...from my heart.. :grouphug:

we have learned it is "ALL" acute lymphoblastic luekemia, a common type of childhood luekemia. Testing and treatment plannning continues today .

OK...so we start planning and do treatment and we beat this darn thing with the power of prayer..

God, I am so angry lately.......geez, a sweet little baby.. I do not get it.. Hugs to you Ann... we are here for you.....

NHAnn said:
thank you all...from my heart.. :grouphug:

we have learned it is "ALL" acute lymphoblastic luekemia, a common type of childhood luekemia. Testing and treatment plannning continues today .

Just wanted to give you a word of hope. My little niece developed ALL at the age of 18 months. She was treated aggresively for 2yrs. It was a rough go for awhile there, but she is now a wonderful, vibrant 10yo with no health problems. :thumbsup2 We'll pray for the same experience for your Avery

Ann - Avery has been in my prayers and will continue to be in my prayers. God bless him. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter