Upgrading to suite at port? RCCL or NCL

alagille

Mouseketeer
I have read and seen plenty of people upgrading their room on DCL for a surcharge when at port right before embarkation. Does anyone know if this is also the case on RCCL or even NCL? If so, how is it done? What are the typical category upcharges?

I don't think you're going to get a consistent answer. It will depend on what you're upgrading from, what you're upgrading to, how many available rooms there are at the new level, etc.

You'll probably get a better answer on Cruise Critic. From what I've read, the other lines like to try and upsell before you get to the port.

I have read and seen plenty of people upgrading their room on DCL for a surcharge when at port right before embarkation. Does anyone know if this is also the case on RCCL or even NCL? If so, how is it done? What are the typical category upcharges?

We've sailed both lines more than once and every time there was a sign in the terminal stating that the sailing was "sold out" and no cabin changes could be accommodated. My impression would be that finding someone who has actually done this would be exceedingly rare. Also, if anyone did luck into this kind of deal I imagine it would be at a negotiated price that may or may not ever be the same twice. Best advice I can give you is to book whatever cabin category you really want NOW, at a price that is acceptable to you. Don't count on price drops, free up-grades or up-sells if a suite is imperative to the enjoyment of your cruise.

I'm curious about this… nobody?

Again, I think this DOES NOT happen very often - if you had to go by just my anecdotal experience you'd have to assume it NEVER happens.

You'll probably get a better answer on Cruise Critic. From what I've read, the other lines like to try and upsell before you get to the port.

This is a good idea - there's a much larger pool of direct experience, specific to the cruise lines than here. But FWIW, I spend lots of time on those boards too and rarely ever see it mentioned as a viable option. The Revenue Departments of the cruise lines are expert at filling the higher priced cabins through up-sells or upgrades on guarantee categories. And it's also common for them to retain an empty high-end cabin as a "prize" for a revenue-generating activity like bingo or raffles.

more than a few years ago, there were opportunities to upgrade upon embarkation. This has not been the case for some time aboard RCCL. They have become somewhat of a value line and offer discounts, incentives, and upgrades during the booking period to ensure they are sailing full. They try to make up for that difference by selling so much stuff on board. I agree with others, you should book the minimum category with which you would be happy sailing.

The last non- Disney cruise I booked cheapest room. Closer to the cruise I got the emails came offering me upgrades for a charge. Since I was going solo I had to pay double the fair of the upgrade. I did end up taking a window since I was going to Alaska. E-mail finally came for a balcony cheaper than the first email but as soon as I got it I called and the were sold out.

I have not heard of anyone upgrading at the port on Royal Caribbean for many years now. Prior to that, it was very rare. Most upgrades today are done before sailing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter