Uplifting article about John(Updated May 1)

Really sorry to hear he is now gone. It must be so hard for the family. All our love and prayers to yourself and the family.

Oh Brenle, I am so sorry to hear this very tragic news.

I am thinking of John, his family and friends.
:hug:
Quasar

I am so, so very sorry to hear this news.

Praying that the family will know Gods peace and comfort in the days ahead.

My deepest sympathy for Johns family

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers go out to his loved ones and that he is now resting. He fought hard.

Really sorry to hear he is now gone. It must be so hard for the family. All our love and prayers to yourself and the family.

Thank you all for supporting John's family.

I'm sure there will be many stories told about John here in the community in which I live, and I'll pass them on so you will hear just how extraordinary he truly was. Can you imagine being diagnosed at age 12 with leukemia and thereafter battling various forms of cancer for the next 7 years of your life? That's what John faced, and he did it with grace, a positive attitude and with total faith in God. He inspired others to fight hard and stay true to their faith. And for me personally, he put life into perspective. I thank God for every day of my life. The small stuff is just that, small stuff. He struggled for years to just be healthy again, but God had other plans.

Below is part of his obituary. I have taken out some personal information.

John *******, 19, returned to The Loving Arms of Our Father on Tuesday, April 26, 2011. He was at home, surrounded by his loving family. He is the son of John and Deborah *******, the younger brother of Lenore and older brother of Jason

John was an avid sports enthusiast. In addition to being a state-certified soccer referee, John played soccer, basketball, and baseball. One of his favorite moments was the time when he successfully completed the “hidden ball trick” as the first baseman during a playoff game for his town baseball team. He also completed this feat during a regular season game during the same season. Another accomplishment that John was especially proud of was being part of the ********Junior Varsity Soccer Team. He tried-out for this high school team, which included grueling “two-a-days”: practicing twice a day, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. He did this while he was in active treatment against leukemia. He played in the final game of the season and was only inches from scoring a goal. Additionally, John enjoyed filming the *******Hockey Team for Coach Keith ******.
John was a graduate of *********High School, Class of 2009, where he consistently earned academic honors. His class rank was 40 out of 397 students. He was exceedingly proud of his Senior Project, which included fundraising for our local animal hospital. Through his fundraising efforts, John was able to help save 12 pets. This hospital awarded John with its Veterinary Oncology Humanitarian Award for 2009.
John was a student at ********* College. He was majoring in Secondary Education and Math, hoping to one day become a high school math teacher. He was a member of the Music Ministry Choir. Also, he captained a team for last year’s Relay for Life, calling the team, Power of Prayer.
He was a loyal fan of the New York Yankees, the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Pittsburgh Penguins, and the New York Knicks. Often taking a lot of chiding for his choice in teams, John used sports as a way to make connections with people. He especially enjoyed playfully bantering with his many friends who were Red Sox fans!

And this right is why I come here. So many inspiring people on here who are either gone back to Heavenly Father or are fighting some truly difficult challenges. Brings hope and faith back into my life. Thank you for sharing this with us.

And this right is why I come here. So many inspiring people on here who are either gone back to Heavenly Father or are fighting some truly difficult challenges. Brings hope and faith back into my life. Thank you for sharing this with us.

John's wake was held tonight. The chaplain at the college he attended wrote an article which was passed out to all those in attendance. It speaks of John's faith, and I will post it here to share with you.

Below is the article written about John. It's a true testament to John's character, John's lilfe.

"A friend of mine is in the hospital and has been struggling with cancer for a long time now. He's being operated on in the morning, so a couple of us went to see him tonight to have a quick visit and to anoint him before his procedure.

"Now, this friend is one of the most remarkable people I've ever known, and his cheerful attitude and fighting spirit are absolutely contagious. He's the kind of guy who goes from room to room in the cancer untit to encourage other patients. No matter how bad he's feeling, he always finds the energy to make fun of my devotion to the Red Sox. And in spite of all of the ups and downs of his illness-the progress and the setbacks-he has tremendous faith in God's love for him and knows that the Lord will never leave him alone.

"But tonight, he was exceedingly tired and, uncharacteristically, didn't have a whole lot to say. All of the treatments seemed to have gotten the better of him for the day. We prayed together and said goodbye. And as we're walking out of the door, he began to sing. Out of nowhere, he broke into the first verse of the Beatles' Let it Be. You know the words: When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, Let it Be. And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me, speaking words of wisdom, Let it Be. . . . There will be an answer. Let it be.

"I believe with all my heart that God is using this young man's life-including his sufferings-to show his love to the world. It's his vocation to teach those who are lucky enough to know and love him what it means to trust in God. And the lesson was never as clear as it was tonight. In the face of pain and uncertainty, after enduring so much for so long, with almost no energy to spare, he continued to teach. He continued to profess his faith.

"No matter what the particular burdens in our lives, or the lives of those we love, our Lord invites us to trust in his providence. Our heavenly Father loves us beyond all imagining, and so we need not fear the hours of darkness that occasionally befall each one of us. We can cast all our anxieties on him who loves us so much. Hope in God and know that there will be an answer. Let it Be." Written by Father J. Cuddy, O.P.

I am only reading about his passing now. I am so very deeply sorry.:hug:

reading that about John brought tears to my eyes. Godbless him, and his remaining family and friends.:grouphug:

Brenie, thank you for sharing that beautiful writing. It really showed Johns faith, strength, courage and compassion for others.

Again, continued prayers for the family during this time.

I am so sorry to hear of John's passing as well~ I have followed this thread for a long time and have kept him and his family in my prayers. He was truly an amazing young man who fought so hard with courage and dignity and I pray he rest in peace and that his family can find some peace as well.

I will pray for them, how truly sad I feel for them. :hug:

I am only reading about his passing now. I am so very deeply sorry.:hug:

reading that about John brought tears to my eyes. Godbless him, and his remaining family and friends.:grouphug:

Thank you.

Brenie, thank you for sharing that beautiful writing. It really showed Johns faith, strength, courage and compassion for others.

Again, continued prayers for the family during this time.

He was a remarkable young man.

I am so sorry to hear of John's passing as well~ I have followed this thread for a long time and have kept him and his family in my prayers. He was truly an amazing young man who fought so hard with courage and dignity and I pray he rest in peace and that his family can find some peace as well.

I will pray for them, how truly sad I feel for them. :hug:

Thank you for following this thread and keeping him in your prayers. I'm sure they carried him and his family throughout his illness. John always pulled through when the news was grim and his family was left with little hope. Every day was a blessing.

John's mom wrote a letter to be given to each person attending his wake. It was over 4 pages long. It is heart-breaking yet hopeful. I think I'm going to publish most of it so you can all read what a truly amazing family he has/strong faith, and yet the human side of John's life.

Brenle,

I am so sorry to read of John's passing. Thank you for sharing his story. His life is an example of how we all should live, with faith and hope in tomorrow.

Brenle,

I am so sorry to read of John's passing. Thank you for sharing his story. His life is an example of how we all should live, with faith and hope in tomorrow.

Thank you, Elizabeth. His family is an example of that as well. It's hard to believe his struggle is over and he didn't beat cancer.

It's hard to believe his struggle is over and he didn't beat cancer.

He may not have beat cancer in this life, but he did beat it in the next. He has left all the pain and struggle behind and is in a wonderful place filled with God and love. I just found this thread tonight, and he seems like he was a great guy- and I am sure he is still a great guy, just in a different place. :hug:

:hug:Brenle

Sending hugs and prayers for all who knew and loved John.Thank you for shairing his story.We will hold his family in our prayers.I am sure John is helping others now with their battles with cancer(the bravery and faith he showed, helping others who met him in person or through his story-Along with the knowlelge gain by the Drs who treated him):grouphug:for all fighting the battle or as support solders in the battle to save loved ones, as well as those vetrans of this battle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter