US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

I think it’s that you are allowed back in because you are a citizen but you go immediately to your place of quarantine and stay put for 14 days. The advantage being I would have my car , wouldn’t need to expose anyone and could quarantine in my home rather than a hotel.
If you are positive and returning and fully vaxxed, is it that you quarantine until you test positive? I am 100% unsure about that.

If you are positive and returning and fully vaxxed, is it that you quarantine until you test positive? I am 100% unsure about that.
It is possible to continue to test positive for months after you've had covid. 14 days is what is required for quarantine in Canada.

The policy makes no sense as it stands right now for those who travel to the US for less than 3 days.

Example. You want to pop across the border to day shop. You need to get a test in Canada 72 hours before you plan to return (ie you get it done in Canada) You cross the border, shop etc and then return. The test result you use to return to Canada has nothing to do with what you may have been exposed to while in the USA but rather what you were exposed to in Canada 72 hours before. So why even have the test. I guess it makes sure you don't go south of the border if you are testing positive but it does absolutely nothing to change the situation in Canada.

The policy makes no sense as it stands right now for those who travel to the US for less than 3 days.

Example. You want to pop across the border to day shop. You need to get a test in Canada 72 hours before you plan to return (ie you get it done in Canada) You cross the border, shop etc and then return. The test result you use to return to Canada has nothing to do with what you may have been exposed to while in the USA but rather what you were exposed to in Canada 72 hours before. So why even have the test. I guess it makes sure you don't go south of the border if you are testing positive but it does absolutely nothing to change the situation in Canada.

Agree. I mean, I'm all for testing, I think it helps keep us safe but how does a test performed in Canada help prove anything from your visit to the US? It's a bizarre policy.

Could it have to do with the incubation time of the virus? Although the delta variant has a relatively fast/low incubation time, it still might not be detectable in the time period :confused3 I'm just trying to understand their reasoning behind that.

It allows them to have a standardized policy for all non-essential travelers entering Canada [negative test no more than 72 hours...] instead of multiple policies depending on the situation.

The incubation period for the virus is long enough that it is highly unlikely that anything you pick up in the 72 hours would show up on a test you would take closer to your return - for that you would need to take a test some days after returning back to Canada; IIRC around 5 days after exposure is considered the ideal.

SW

It allows them to have a standardized policy for all non-essential travelers entering Canada [negative test no more than 72 hours...] instead of multiple policies depending on the situation.

The incubation period for the virus is long enough that it is highly unlikely that anything you pick up in the 72 hours would show up on a test you would take closer to your return - for that you would need to take a test some days after returning back to Canada; IIRC around 5 days after exposure is considered the ideal.

SW
Not to stray too off but that depends on the variant. Delta variant is nothing like the other variants. Typical patients are symptomatic on average several days sooner than other variants and are more contagious as well. It's no longer highly unlikely 72 hour thing. In fact it's actually more likely at least in comparison to past variants. Prior variants average was 5 to 8 days average of 6 days . Delta variant is 3 to 5 days with an average of just under 4 days.

For the previous person's point a short trip, depending on unforeseen variables, they could be exposed in Canada and the U.S.

looks like mixed doses will be accepted according to reporting by bloomberg news : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...gners-to-enter-from-nov-8?srnd=premium-canada
It's pretty vague: "The same will likely apply to those arriving by land, said the official, who added that children under 18 are likely to be exempt. People who have mixed shots from two different providers will be treated as vaccinated, two people said."

Not clear cut IMO just yet.

Def. don't go making travel plans yet without having official government wording.

Hopefully more explicit concrete official notice will be given really soon.

Toronto Star has a similar article citing the Bloomberg reporter: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...accines-as-border-crossings-resume-nov-8.html

The Star could not immediately confirm the report Friday morning. However, a Canadian government source in Washington, speaking on background, said U.S. officials have recently indicated that they expect proof of mixed vaccinations would be accepted for border crossings.

The source said that as of Friday morning they had still not heard any official word. A source in the Prime Minister’s Office, speaking on background, said that the U.S. had not yet informed it of any final decision.

I'm optimistic. The more exciting news is that with the US change happening on November 8th. My November 7-14 trip is a go.

It's pretty vague: "The same will likely apply to those arriving by land, said the official, who added that children under 18 are likely to be exempt. People who have mixed shots from two different providers will be treated as vaccinated, two people said."

Not clear cut IMO just yet.

Def. don't go making travel plans yet without having official government wording.

Hopefully more explicit concrete official notice will be given really soon.
we also need to be ready for the "mixed vaccines " to only apply to 2 different types of MRNA and not ASTRAZENECA mix that many of us received. The data isn't as readily available for that to be reviewed yet but I'm confident it will happen even though it's hard to wait!

We leave the 5th so will have to incur the testing charge on the way down (although I hear now that Costco offering $15 tests vs the $40 Shoppers ones)

We leave the 5th so will have to incur the testing charge on the way down (although I hear now that Costco offering $15 tests vs the $40 Shoppers ones)
The testing requirements for flying into the US are not changing, will still need a negative test to fly to the US even after November 8. It's just the land border that will not require a test when it opens Nov 8 to enter the US.

we also need to be ready for the "mixed vaccines " to only apply to 2 different types of MRNA and not ASTRAZENECA mix that many of us received. The data isn't as readily available for that to be reviewed yet but I'm confident it will happen even though it's hard to wait!

It's turning out that Canada is the largest source of this data. With Germany and France also using the AZ/mrna mix I'm optimistic that the US business interests will make this work.

The testing requirements for flying into the US are not changing, will still need a negative test to fly to the US even after November 8. It's just the land border that will not require a test when it opens Nov 8 to enter the US.
Ah, I thought I had read that the air and land requirements will match once the land border opened. I'm sure the details will keep evolving!

Toronto Star has a similar article citing the Bloomberg reporter: https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...accines-as-border-crossings-resume-nov-8.html

I'm optimistic. The more exciting news is that with the US change happening on November 8th. My November 7-14 trip is a go.
It's not the source meaning Bloomberg (or their reporter) vs someone else. More just terminology used and a sense of "this is just the going thought" that isn't definitive in its answer. What people are really looking for is clearly spelled out what is and isn't allowed (including what vaccinations or just a blanket all vaccinations) handed down from the proper authorities and not through an interview but official edict (for lack of a better word).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter