US to lift travel ban for foreign air travellers who show proof of vaccination

Was reading an interesting article about the mixing doses and figured I'd share it. https://www.statnews.com/2021/10/12...now-about-mixing-and-matching-covid-vaccines/

Normally for FDA approval the requests come from a drug maker --- so for mixed dosing no drug maker is going to make a request for mixing doses so that makes it less likely for that occur. One interesting thing in the article is that the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease is doing a trial on mixing separately and the info from that trial will be presented to CDC later this week. Fingers crossed.

This one from cbc talks about mixed vaccinations being used for emergency use. This makes me feel even more hopeful that our mixed doses are going to be considered fully vaccinated - and even better, we won't need to have a negative covid test to enter the US.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/us-c...OJgs-6w6HZ9w0Pk3vTdRiZEZ20pT76ocVtYwD8OmH-PUE
Unless Canada drops the need for covid testing re air travel, I sure hope the US doesn't. Given the likelihood of breakthrough infections in the vaccinated, I certainly don't want to be in a US bound aircraft for hours at a time with infected passengers and then hope I test negative days later in order to return home. If there is no testing requirement to fly to the US but Canada's testing requirement remains, I'll probably end up cancelling my February trip. I really really really don't want to quarantine in the US for 2 weeks.

Unless Canada drops the need for covid testing re air travel, I sure hope the US doesn't. Given the likelihood of breakthrough infections in the vaccinated, I certainly don't want to be in a US bound aircraft for hours at a time with infected passengers and then hope I test negative days later in order to return home. If there is no testing requirement to fly to the US but Canada's testing requirement remains, I'll probably end up cancelling my February trip. I really really really don't want to quarantine in the US for 2 weeks.
This is an interesting and astute point.

This is an interesting and astute point.
It comes from being an overthinker and worrier . No need for any of you to worry as I am happy to do it for you 🤣. I should add though that my cancelling due to conflicting requirements will depend on our numbers. I have direct flights out of Winnipeg so if our numbers are low, the risk may be minimal enough to go. However, what is the likelihood of that in February when everyone is stuck inside sharing their germs? Yet another waiting game *sigh*.

Currently, the US is only dropping the testing requirement for fully vaccinated visitors entering by land.
No mention of changing the testing requirements for air at this time.

The idea of not having to test if you want to drive over to the US for a weekend is nice, but if you still have to test coming back into Canada, that erases any potential benefit in my books.

It comes from being an overthinker and worrier . No need for any of you to worry as I am happy to do it for you 🤣. I should add though that my cancelling due to conflicting requirements will depend on our numbers. I have direct flights out of Winnipeg so if our numbers are low, the risk may be minimal enough to go. However, what is the likelihood of that in February when everyone is stuck inside sharing their germs? Yet another waiting game *sigh*.
I’d definitely be classified as an over thinker and worrier.

Currently, the US is only dropping the testing requirement for fully vaccinated visitors entering by land.
No mention of changing the testing requirements for air at this time.

The idea of not having to test if you want to drive over to the US for a weekend is nice, but if you still have to test coming back into Canada, that erases any potential benefit in my books.

I am wondering how the Canadian government is going to handle this for fully vaccinated Canadians and the testing requirement to return by land. Hoping they start figuring this out.

I am wondering how the Canadian government is going to handle this for fully vaccinated Canadians and the testing requirement to return by land. Hoping they start figuring this out.

I would assume the same way they have been already for the small number of Canadians who can already cross by land [eg dual citizens]. They've already been doing it for air travelers with short trips.

They have already said that for trips <72 hours you can do the test in Canada before you leave and use that test as your test to reenter Canada.

Official US DHS statement for lifting land border ban for Canadian non-essential travelers:

Secretary Mayorkas to Allow Fully Vaccinated Travelers from Canada and Mexico to Enter U.S. at Land Borders and Ferry Crossings https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/12...ted-travelers-canada-and-mexico-enter-us-land

Release Date:
October 12, 2021

WASHINGTON – Today, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas announced that, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other public health experts, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will amend Title 19 regulations to allow non-essential travelers who have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and have appropriate documentation to enter the United States via land and ferry ports of entry (POEs) across the U.S. border.

“In alignment with the new international air travel system that will be implemented in November, we will begin allowing travelers from Mexico and Canada who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to enter the United States for non-essential purposes, including to visit friends and family or for tourism, via land and ferry border crossings,” said Secretary Mayorkas. “Cross-border travel creates significant economic activity in our border communities and benefits our broader economy. We are pleased to be taking steps to resume regular travel in a safe and sustainable manner.”

The modifications to the Title 19 regulations will occur in two phases over the next few months. First, in November, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin allowing fully vaccinated travelers from Mexico or Canada to enter the United States at land and ferry POEs for non-essential reasons. Travelers will be required to have appropriate paperwork that provides proof of vaccination. Individuals who have not been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel for non-essential purposes from Canada and Mexico into the United States via land and ferry POEs.

Second, beginning in early January 2022, DHS will require that all inbound foreign national travelers crossing U.S. land or ferry POEs – whether for essential or non-essential reasons – be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide related proof of vaccination. This approach will provide ample time for essential travelers such as truckers, students, and healthcare workers to get vaccinated.

This new travel system will create consistent, stringent protocols for all foreign nationals traveling to the United States – whether by air, land, or ferry – and accounts for the wide availability of COVID-19 vaccinations.

END QUOTE

Official US DHS statement for lifting land border ban for Canadian non-essential travelers:

Secretary Mayorkas to Allow Fully Vaccinated Travelers from Canada and Mexico to Enter U.S. at Land Borders and Ferry Crossings https://www.dhs.gov/news/2021/10/12...ted-travelers-canada-and-mexico-enter-us-land

Release Date:
October 12, 2021

WASHINGTON – Today, Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro N. Mayorkas announced that, following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other public health experts, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will amend Title 19 regulations to allow non-essential travelers who have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and have appropriate documentation to enter the United States via land and ferry ports of entry (POEs) across the U.S. border.

“In alignment with the new international air travel system that will be implemented in November, we will begin allowing travelers from Mexico and Canada who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 to enter the United States for non-essential purposes, including to visit friends and family or for tourism, via land and ferry border crossings,” said Secretary Mayorkas. “Cross-border travel creates significant economic activity in our border communities and benefits our broader economy. We are pleased to be taking steps to resume regular travel in a safe and sustainable manner.”

The modifications to the Title 19 regulations will occur in two phases over the next few months. First, in November, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) will begin allowing fully vaccinated travelers from Mexico or Canada to enter the United States at land and ferry POEs for non-essential reasons. Travelers will be required to have appropriate paperwork that provides proof of vaccination. Individuals who have not been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 will not be allowed to travel for non-essential purposes from Canada and Mexico into the United States via land and ferry POEs.

Second, beginning in early January 2022, DHS will require that all inbound foreign national travelers crossing U.S. land or ferry POEs – whether for essential or non-essential reasons – be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide related proof of vaccination. This approach will provide ample time for essential travelers such as truckers, students, and healthcare workers to get vaccinated.

This new travel system will create consistent, stringent protocols for all foreign nationals traveling to the United States – whether by air, land, or ferry – and accounts for the wide availability of COVID-19 vaccinations.

END QUOTE

Still no clarity.

Interesting (and great) point.

It will definitely be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
That's a really interesting point. We originally booked our flights out of Detroit, but that's up in the air right now with when the land border will open. I had never considered the fact that the chance of a breakthrough infection would be greater leaving from Detroit vs Toronto since no one would have tested beforehand. I'm thinking that even if by some miracle the border is open by my flight dates, I'll stick with the more expensive AC flight for the peace of mind that at least everyone had a negative covid test.

I would assume the same way they have been already for the small number of Canadians who can already cross by land [eg dual citizens]. They've already been doing it for air travelers with short trips.

They have already said that for trips <72 hours you can do the test in Canada before you leave and use that test as your test to reenter Canada.
I'll still do the test in Buffalo. The rapid id now test results are in within 24 hours and it's free. PCR tests in Canada are expensive.

Still no clarity.

It also seems to be running on an honour system from the updated CBC article - U.S. to reopen land border to fully vaccinated Canadians next month | CBC News

According to U.S. officials, Canadians crossing the border will be questioned about their vaccination status by border agents.

Proof of vaccination will only be required if a traveller is sent for secondary screening, the government officials said on the call.

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said cross-border traffic between Canada and the U.S. generates significant economic activity between border communities. (Andrew Harnik/The Associated Press)
If a traveller is fully vaccinated, there will be no requirement for them to show a negative COVID-19 test.

When the updated rules go into effect, the U.S. will also ease other travel restrictions for fully vaccinated travellers arriving by air.

So don't volunteer specifics, just show your second vaccine certificate if asked? There's got to be more clarity than that. Just heard on the tv news we will still have to have a PCR test to get back into Canada so the border will still be a no go for me.

So don't volunteer specifics, just show your second vaccine certificate if asked? There's got to be more clarity than that. Just heard on the tv news we will still have to have a PCR test to get back into Canada so the border will still be a no go for me.
Why? If you drive over then test positive before returning, you will still be let into Canada. This is a game changer for me; I canceled an August trip by air for fear of not being able to board the return flight...no need to worry about that now with driving.

I drive to Florida most times anyways.

Why? If you drive over then test positive before returning, you will still be let into Canada. This is a game changer for me; I canceled an August trip by air for fear of not being able to board the return flight...no need to worry about that now with driving.

That’s right! Dh can’t risk testing positive before a flight due to work. If we drive, that’s a non issue.

He WFH so a forced quarantine would work.

what are the rules if you test positive and are driving back over into Canada? Been too focused on the rules for flying.

what are the rules if you test positive and are driving back over into Canada? Been too focused on the rules for flying.
I think it’s that you are allowed back in because you are a citizen but you go immediately to your place of quarantine and stay put for 14 days. The advantage being I would have my car , wouldn’t need to expose anyone and could quarantine in my home rather than a hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter