US Women's National Soccer Team controversy

You come to PLAY in the World Cup. It is the top of the top for the sport. You play every single minute and you do not let up. This isn't some club game where you worry about kids getting their feelings hurt. Also, goal differential is a part of scoring for this level of play. It was smart for the US team to get the goals they could.
The controversy isn't around how many goals they scored, goal differential counts and everyone understands that. The controversy is about the excessive, choreographed, pre-planned goal celebrations when up 10-0.

According to the many news reports going around they were choreographed, planned out goal celebrations. So yes, when you are up 10-0 doing the celebrations like that is just rubbing salt in the wounds.
I disagree. I don't think that is anything to do with wanting to make the other team feel bad.

Rock on ladies. Be fierce, be proud, and show your joy.

I don’t know.
My father played professional sports. I grew up playing sports, anything and everything. Very few get to that level. I can understand celebrating all goals, and I don’t think it was excessive. I think the media blew it up, and what I feel bad for now is the games to come, the women will want (and should) celebrate their goals, but they will have all of that in the back of their minds.

What exactly does that have to do with the celebrations they acted out while scoring in the double digits?

The fans in Toronto that cheered when KD got hurt were quickly shut down. The scorers from the USWNT continued to celebrate each and every goal like they won the world cup. There is a difference between the two.

The number of the goals scored isn't the issue.

You can still celebrate the goals but there is a way to do it and show some class.
I don't know where you're from, but I can guess based on your bias in your posts & your laughing "likes".

Again the celebrations were fine. I hope they win the next game 20-0 and I hope they dance twice as much after each goal to rub it in all the naysayers faces.

I don't pay attention to usernames & locations, but I know your bias is definitely showing.

My bias is against athletes who celebrate in ways they shouldn't.

And if you feel my bias is showing because I'm Canadian you must see the same from all the posters from the US who think it is OK to display poor sportsmanship.

Again the celebrations were fine. I hope they win the next game 20-0 and I hope they dance twice as much after each goal to rub it in all the naysayers faces.

Ah yes, the time tested tradition of ‘rubbing it in’.

I can guess where you’re from too.
And I would guess your favourite food is tacos. Am I close ?

😉

My bias is against athletes who celebrate in ways they shouldn't.

And if you feel my bias is showing because I'm Canadian you must see the same from all the posters from the US who think it is OK to display poor sportsmanship.
Your bias is against the US team. It's clear by your "laughing likes" to every post that says anything positive about them. You defending the fans cheering KD's injury makes your bias even more obvious. You're not fooling anyone.

Last edited:
Your bias is against the US team. It's clear by your "laughing likes" to every post that says anything positive about them. You defended the fans cheering KD's injury makes your bias even more obvious. You're not fooling anyone.

Actually I'm laughing at the people doing exactly what you accuse me of, showing bias.

Please show me where I defended people cheering KD's injury?

Am I the only one that finds it puzzling that so many people are comparing child sports to professional sports? They're not comparable.

Like it or not young players will emulate what they see pros do, that's why there is a comparison.

The fans in Toronto that cheered when KD got hurt were quickly shut down. The scorers from the USWNT continued to celebrate each and every goal like they won the world cup. There is a difference between the two.
Please show me where I defended people cheering KD's injury?

Toronto's players eventually stepped in to try to put a stop to it. The fans didn't quickly shut down.

Like it or not young players will emulate what they see pros do, that's why there is a comparison.
That may be the case, but you can't compare kid's sports & pro sports. That's just silly. Most kids will never sniff high school ball, much less D1 college, then the pros. Most kids play for fun. In the pros, it's their job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter