Using an ECV in a rainstorm

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
Hi, I’ve been seeing pictures of the rainy downfall at WDW the past few days. It got me thinking about what would happen if I was there, in a downfall, with the ECV. Some of the pictures I saw showed water up to peoples calves! Has anyone experienced such a situation? Does the ECV still work in flood waters? Just wondering what I would do to be able to get out of the park if there was such terrible flooding. Thanks for any advice or information 😊

I was in the rainstorm the other day. It was torrential! I put a poncho over the controls, completely covering the entire front half. And I put another poncho over the seat. The ponchos were plenty big to do the job. Some rain got through to the seat because of a poorly positions arm hole. Lol. But I just scooped out the water with a swipe of my hand put the poncho back in place. I was also wearing my own poncho.

We were inside skipper canteen for the worst of the rain, had the scooter under an awning as best I could, but there was still a pool of water in the seat.

by the time we were done eating, it was still raining but not as bad. We went through frontier land around to tomorrow land and did not have puddles to contend with on that route.

I was in the rainstorm the other day. It was torrential! I put a poncho over the controls, completely covering the entire front half. And I put another poncho over the seat. The ponchos were plenty big to do the job. Some rain got through to the seat because of a poorly positions arm hole. Lol. But I just scooped out the water with a swipe of my hand put the poncho back in place. I was also wearing my own poncho.

We were inside skipper canteen for the worst of the rain, had the scooter under an awning as best I could, but there was still a pool of water in the seat.

by the time we were done eating, it was still raining but not as bad. We went through frontier land around to tomorrow land and did not have puddles to contend with on that route.

What did you use to hold poncho on the scooter? I read someone brought a trash bag and rubber bands to put over the controls. I was thinking the poncho over the seat, but bring a length of elastic to put over to hold it down.

Keep a cheap shower cap in the bottom of the scooter basket. Then just slip it around the center controls on the steering column if it rains. It’ll be fine. My ECV has driven through rain, sleet and snow many times with just the shower cap cover on.

What did you use to hold poncho on the scooter? I read someone brought a trash bag and rubber bands to put over the controls. I was thinking the poncho over the seat, but bring a length of elastic to put over to hold it down.

i didn’t use anything to hold it on. It stayed in place through the storm.

We ran into a similar storm and flooding at MK during our last WDW trip in December 2019.

A shower cap over the tiller and judicious use of two DCL rain ponchos protected the scooter from the top for the most part.

However, the flooded walkways was a whole other issue. In areas it was over the ankles up onto calves deep and I was not prepared to find out what that would do to the scooter from the bottom. We ended up having to strategize where to drive to go through patches with no or low puddles -- lots of areas were simply impassable due to water depth. For a while we had to simply park and wait in a sheltered area by the peoplemover in tomorrowland while CMs cleared the flooding enough to clear enough of a pathway. And we spent a good chunk of time during the worst of the rain waiting inside a store with a lot of other people until they kicked people out. We then managed to make our way over to Main Street and found shelter again until the rain finally lifted.

A trash bag for a medical office sized trash can over the tiller works. So does a shower cap.

Of course if the water is too deep there is only so much you can do, scooters do not swim.

Of course the rain doesn't usually last more than 30 minutes or so (especially super heavy downpours), so some good choices during rain are longer attractions, such as American Adventure, hall of presidents or go in somewhere like living with the seas where there are indoor things to see and spend some time.

Other choices at Magic Kingdom are Country Bears, Tiki Room (these work well together as there is a minimal uncovered distance between them), Monsters ain't Laugh Floor, Small World, Haunted Mansion (now that they allow ECVs through the queue and they will be waiting in a covered area when you get off), Philharmonic.

If at Animal Kingdom, it is a great time for the safari, the animals will generally be more active and the scooter gets parked in a covered area.

Eating at Garden Grill if there is availability works, as the scooter gets parked indoors. You can also do living with the land and Soarin.

Spaceship Earth works as well, even just standing under it works due to the drainage system it uses, but it is a longer ride, ao that helps too. Tons of options om EPCOT.

At Hollywood Studios, Star Wars Launch Bay works well. If the line is short or you have lightning lane access, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway can work too. Unfortunately, there are more limited options here. Rise of the Resistance can also be an option. Muppets can sometimes do the trick.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of other choices now at Hollywood Studios.

In all cases, if you aren't indoors, cover the tiller and follow the rental change advice (if rented) for rain.

If you are trying to exit the park and feel the path is too flooded, ask a cast member for advice.

Thanks all, OP here, great advice. I hope I don’t have to use the advice but good to know. It seems to me, from the posts above, that if the controls on the ECV are covered, you’ll probably be ok. That is unless the flooding is really high 🥺

I agree with the advice to use shower caps, they work great! Especially cheap clear ones from Walmart, you can keep them on the control panel and still see through it to drive.

We ran into a similar storm and flooding at MK during our last WDW trip in December 2019.

A shower cap over the tiller and judicious use of two DCL rain ponchos protected the scooter from the top for the most part.

However, the flooded walkways was a whole other issue. In areas it was over the ankles up onto calves deep and I was not prepared to find out what that would do to the scooter from the bottom. We ended up having to strategize where to drive to go through patches with no or low puddles -- lots of areas were simply impassable due to water depth. For a while we had to simply park and wait in a sheltered area by the peoplemover in tomorrowland while CMs cleared the flooding enough to clear enough of a pathway. And we spent a good chunk of time during the worst of the rain waiting inside a store with a lot of other people until they kicked people out. We then managed to make our way over to Main Street and found shelter again until the rain finally lifted.
I got caught in Tomorrowland in a similar storm that same summer! My strategy was exactly the same. Tucked myself under the sheltered area by Peoplemover and waited. When the water is more than ankle deep, I don't want to take a chance on the ECV stalling out. It took awhile but I managed the same route as you did... over to Laugh Floor, around then down to Main Street.

I always pack two Disney ponchos and have found them to be sufficient to cover both me and the scooter. Cover the tiller and then hold it down with my hands, cover myself and the chair with the other then tuck the bottoms of the poncho under my butt. Usually that takes care of most of the water. Torrential downpour is different... I find I need to pull over and take cover until it lightens at least a bit.

I agree with the advice to use shower caps, they work great! Especially cheap clear ones from Walmart, you can keep them on the control panel and still see through it to drive.
You can also ask the front desk of your hotel for some as well.

Another tip is go into a gift shop and ask for one of the clear bags, use it to line the basket on the scooter and then cover the basket with a second shower cap, makes the basket fairly water proof.

I always pack a clear 30gal garbage bag to use to cover the tiller. A poncho over the seat works for that. Clear garbage bag allows you to set the controls and operate them.

This is my plan for our next trip. Covrers more than a shower cap. Can tie its ends to keep it on from wind.

Yep, no matter what kind of mobility device I am using, I use the "ankle test" - if water is at/above anyone's ankles, I find a place to shelter, and wait for the rain to pass. Disney doesn't have the fastest stormwater management system I have seen, but the Parks do drain fairly well, and fairly quickly; just need a bit of patience 🙃

Luckily, rainstorms (usually) don't last too long in Orlando!

And good advice from everyone above - the main thing is to cover the tiller/controls.

Good advice from everyone here. I've never had my scooter fail in a rainstorm yet. Just to add, sometimes it's a good idea to cover your scooter when you go in for lunch. I remember one time it was sunny when we went in, sunny when we came out, but at some point while we were inside eating, a brief shower came along and left me a big puddle on the seat of my ECV.

Luckily, rainstorms (usually) don't last too long in Orlando!

True.

And then there are the ones that are the exception, like the one we got stuck with. Literally HOURS of near-constant heavy rain, with the flooding to go with it. To make it more fun, it happened during an MVMCP, raining for most of the party time. As we left, they were handing everyone a sheet within information on how we could convert our ticket for the party into a ticket for another party or a ticket for one of the parks.

They really do need to do something about their stormwater drainage system though... Even the short "every afternoon" storms overwhelm it temporarily, IME.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter