Using UK Disabled Parking Badge

Just to add to the confusion.....

We went in person in May (but not to Osceola county) and paid. I sent off by mail to them last month for this months trip. I didn't mention that we had had a previous pass because it was a different county, but today the new pass arrives and they have returned the payment with it! Very kind of them.

This is my first time in orlando/disney theme parks,Like a lot of cars parks in uk the parking is free within certain areas,does this apply in orlando/disney theme parks?can someone please give me an answer.thanks.

We used the tempory tag last year and found that we could have free Valet parking at all the disney resorts. This was when we had dining reservations.

Hi everyone I am new on here, and thanks to all your information I applied for the temp badge lastnight, it was recieved and paid for within two hours, could not fault them at all. Thanks for all your help everyone :thumbsup2

In May, we'll be driving from Washington to Florida via eight or more States - including a detour across to Memphis to visit Graceland; then returning down through Mississippi, New Orleans and the Panhandle.

I wrote to the American Automobile Association (AAA) to try and clarify the correct procedure in displaying a blue badge wherever we might happen to be in the USA. - I eventually received the following response from them:
Steve.

Dear Steve,

Forgive my tardiness with this reply to your letter of March 17th. Things have just been “popping” around my office, with many too many projects to be completed, and I’m afraid your letter got mislaid amongst the piles of papers. I do apologize!

So much for using the “mails” – I guess this is why email is much more efficient; things are noticed more readily – and answered accordingly.

I am attaching below a copy of the advice we give all international travelers coming to the United States. I am sure that if you follow the guidance given, you will have absolutely no problem displaying your Disabled Permit from the UK throughout the States:

STANDARD ANSWER FOR USING INTERNATIONAL DISABLED PARKING PERMITS
IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA

AAA recommends that disabled drivers from other countries driving in the United States and Canada, and needing the use of designated parking spaces, should consider the following. These rules apply to any and all states in the United States, and provinces throughout Canada as well.

Travel with any credentials normally displayed in your home country.

Travel with a letter from your physician stating the nature of your disability.

Contact the nearest State Department of Motor Vehicles (IF YOU FEEL THE NEED) (THE “DMV”; listed in the middle “government offices” section of any phone book) or local police office concerning a temporary use parking permit once you have arrived in the United States, if you feel you need more precise information.

Display your permit by hanging it from the rearview mirror of your vehicle. This international disabled symbol is a side view of a wheelchair.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) issued a final ruling that provides guidelines to (all) States for the establishment of a uniform parking system for drivers with disabilities that limit or impair the ability to walk .

The guidelines include minimum requirements to be incorporated into state systems. Under the DOT guidelines, placards must be hung from the windshield rearview mirror so they can be viewed from the front and rear of a car, helping law enforcement personnel to easily recognize whether a vehicle is legally parked.

The rule, required by the U.S. Congress, calls for reciprocity of enforcement among states and for the state systems to specify that the International Symbol of Access (a side view of a person in a wheelchair) shall be the only symbol used on license plates or windshield placards to identify a disabled motorist.

You can see by the advice given above, which is good for all of the United States and Canada, that there should be NO NEED for you to obtain any kind of a temporary disabled parking permit for your vehicle while visiting. If you have the standard symbol (side view of the wheel chair) to display in your front window or from your rear-view mirror, that should be all you need. Also – in case a police officer should be doing a spot check on those carrying these credentials (to catch the AMERICANS or CANADIANS who should not have those permits lawfully, I might add) carrying the letter from your physician would clarify immediately that you are entitled to this universal disable parking permit.

It seems that you felt more comfortable on your last trip here, to obtain a temporary handicapped permit. Every city in every state of the union has a Department of Motor Vehicles, which is sometimes connected to the Tax Office. They should be able to answer any doubts you might have, but I sincerely do not think you need to have temporary permits from all of the eight states you will be driving in. Your own permit from the UK should do the trick. If you would feel better – please do inquire with the DMV through www.dmv.org and perhaps they can offer you more advice….but we have never had anyone come back to us to tell us our information is incorrect, and we have hundreds of visitors writing to us every year, many of them about this permit.

I hope this answers your questions, Steve. If not – let me hear back from you.

Margo Miller, Manager
AAA International Relations & Club Correspondent
1000 AAA Drive - Mail Stop #73
Heathrow, Florida 32746-5063 U.S.A.
Phone: (407) 444-7223
Fax: (407) 444-7750
mmiller@national.aaa.com

Last summer I sent for a tag from the tax office and recieved it no problem. For this years trip I phoned the office for a new one, hoping that they would have all my details on their system still, but they did not and said I would have to send copies of my UK badge and pasport, plus payment details again. They were very helpful. I sent every thing off yesterday, so hopefully I should receive my tempory tag in the next week or two.:rolleyes:

Great news, Tag arrived today. Only took 12 days to get. Even better news is that last week, I recieved an E-mail from tax office to say that because it was renewed within one year from the last one I had, there would be no charge.:cool1: They said that they would destroy all my payment details.Fantastic.
We used the tag last year at at all Disney property. If you go to any Disney park, when you go through the ticket booths, you are directed to follow the Blue Line that is painted on the road, I'ts very easy to follow. The only tricky parking lot, is the one at HS. This is because the parking lot is near the Disney bus stops, so take extra care.
If your visiting any Disney resorts for resaurants etc. CM will direct you to parking bays, also you can use Valet parking for Free.

Hi,
we've just returned from our driving-tour of the States, which included an extended stay in the Disney area. My wife successfully used her UK blue badge throughout the trip. It was readily accepted in every State we went to. (Tourist areas). There were also no problems when showing it in Florida at Disney or Universal Studios. We were directed through to the disabled-parking section along with the drivers who had US tags. We simply kept ours on the dashboard in full view.
Steve.

We used the tag last year at at all Disney property. If you go to any Disney park, when you go through the ticket booths, you are directed to follow the Blue Line that is painted on the road, I'ts very easy to follow. The only tricky parking lot, is the one at HS. This is because the parking lot is near the Disney bus stops, so take extra care.
If your visiting any Disney resorts for resaurants etc. CM will direct you to parking bays, also you can use Valet parking for Free.
One caution - sometimes the blue line is not the correct place to go. For example, if the regular handicapped lot is full, they will direct you to another lot. So, even if you think you know where to go, it's still a good idea to check with each CM you come to and not just follow the blue line. I know from personal experience that it sometimes leads to a dead end.
Hi,
we've just returned from our driving-tour of the States, which included an extended stay in the Disney area. My wife successfully used her UK blue badge throughout the trip. It was readily accepted in every State we went to. (Tourist areas). There were also no problems when showing it in Florida at Disney or Universal Studios. We were directed through to the disabled-parking section along with the drivers who had US tags. We simply kept ours on the dashboard in full view.
Steve.
If your tag will hang from the rear view mirror, that is a better spot. It is the designated spot for police or others to look for the tag in the US. If your tag doesn't hang, then just make sure it is very visible on the dashboard through the front window.

Whenever we've been we have always been able to use our blue badge and will do so again this year.We have never had any problems and can't see any for this trip.

Just looking for a few opinions. Things have been very hectic in our home lives at the moment and time has just run away with us. One minute we had 100+ days until our trip, now there's like 38.

Anyway, this is the first year we are going to be driving, and my mum has a UK Blue Badge. We are only driving because using the buses and her wheelchair was just a very bad combination last year! So, we need to apply for the temporary Florida blue badge, because we will be going to places other than Disney and Universal, and do not want to get caught out!

What is the best way to go about this, now that we are running out of time? Having had a quick flick through the pages of this thread, it says allow 4-weeks for the process to complete, which would leave it far too close for comfort for my liking! Is the process time shorter now, or should we just suck it up and visit one of the offices when we arrive?

Do the offices tend to stay open late? We are not due to arrive until 5pm, and will then have to get through security, passport control, collect luggage and car, so could be quite late, especially if the flight is delayed. Is it likely we'll need to revisit the following morning to complete everything? At least if I know in advanced, I can add it into our plans for the day!

Thanks guys!!!

Hi Guys
I have been going to Florida now twice a year for 12 years 8 of those years i have always used the UK Blue Badge with no problems or restrictions.But i have heard that they are not accepted in the US so i spoke to the US Embassy who in there oppinion said using a Blue wheelchair parking permit from the UK is not a problem but told me to contact highway patrol department to confirm so i did and i asked them about using the Blue uk badge in Florida there reply below.That now confirms to me the blue badge is ok you do not need to buy any other permit.Hope this is of some help
Regards Alison

The blue wheelchair sign on your badge is an international symbol that is accepted in the USA

Dear Ms, Gibson,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, you may use your handicap parking permit if it is the blue international wheelchair handicap parking permit. If I may be of further assistance to you, please do not hesitate to call or write.

Thanks,

Jesse.

Sergeant Jesse M. Evans

Office of Communications
Florida Highway Patrol
2900 Apalachee Parkway, Rm. B-456, MS 44
Tallahassee, Fl. 32399
Office: 850.617.2382
Fax: 850.617-5108

COURTESY * SERVICE * PROTECTION

The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is committed to Service, Integrity, Courtesy, Professionalism, Innovation and Excellence in all we do. Please let us know how we are doing via our online customer service survey at

We used disabled parking last year in Orlando with my parents. We applied for the temporary one in advance. We applied by mail, you need to do this at least 4 weeks in advance as suggested in the Brit guide, but this will save you a journey to a tax office whilst on holiday

Hi everyone I am new on here, and thanks to all your information I applied for the temp badge lastnight, it was recieved and paid for within two hours, could not fault them at all. Thanks for all your help everyone :thumbsup2

Hi there - could you possibly tell me how you applied for the temp badge( if via the web do you have a link to the site that you could send me? Also how did you pay for it? Do they accept / debit cards- or does it require a money transfer ?

How is the badge then returned to you?

Any help/advice very gratefully accepted.Thanks

We used the UK Blue Badge for our recent holiday at Easter without any problems and will be using it for our 5 week holiday starting on Tuesday (29th). It would appear from our experience and that of many others that it is an unnecessary expense to apply and pay for an extra Floridian disabled parking permit.

Mrs TT

We always use our blue badge when we are in Forida too, we were advised to hang it from the rear view mirror which we do.

Rang the Osceola Tax office yesterday and spoke to a very helpful person called Samantha. I just emailed her the information this morning and she will post the tag out to us. No charge as it is the second in the space of 6 months. Apparantly if you need to pay you can email the info and then ring with your card details. They really are trying to make this as painless as possible. Such a shame that Florida passes so many strange laws that has meant they have to undertake all this extra work!

Our next trip to Florida (in two weeks) will be the fourth we've made in the past year and we've never had a problem with using the UK blue badge there!
We used to go to the trouble of queuing up at the local Tax office for the special 'tag' they issued, until we realised that the UK blue badge was accepted everywhere we went.
We've also used the UK badge in many other US States without a hitch.
Regards,
Steve Fry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter