V&A Jitters!

Hope you received all the answers you were looking for! Just a quick question for repeat diners so a new thread doesn't need to be made. If you went to V&A before, say a year ago, will they end up serving you the same food as last time or do they remember what you ate before hand.?

Thanks
The restaurant’s kitchen staff makes the day’s menu based on what looks good at the market so I doubt a year later the menu would be the same. As well they seem to put the computer software to good use so wouldn’t be surprised if every day’s menu is saved.

We ate there 2 different Thanksgivings in a row and the two menus were quite different.

If you went to V&A before, say a year ago, will they end up serving you the same food as last time or do they remember what you ate before hand.?
They change the menu regularly as well as modify it to you specifically, so it's rarely the exact same. Plus, it's very dependent on what's in season and what is available. There are a few signature dishes they may repeat, but even when we ate there 4 times in one year, the menu was very different each time. I think they do keep records on at least some of what you have had or preferences since they have kept my allergies on record and know that DH likes caviar so always put that as an upcharge item on the menu for him.

I wanted to drop a detailed report, just in case anyone is interested!

We drove to the Grand Floridian, arriving just under an hour before our reservation. Our reservation was for 7:30 pm. When we pulled up for valet, we mentioned that we had a reservation for Victoria and Albert’s, and they said to let them know so we would get validated.

We walked around for a bit (I had never been to the Grand Floridian!). They had decorated chocolate eggs out for Easter, and the pianist was playing. Then we headed upstairs. (For the record, there was a pretty sizable line for the Enchanted Rose.)

I’m not sure if this was how we were supposed to check in, but we ended up in the line for Citricos around 7 pm. Someone from V&A somehow picked us out and asked if we were checking in. We said yes, but we were a bit early. She mentioned that she would come get us at reservation time and we could walk around or sit in the waiting area- so we walked around some more until 7:30, when she came out to retrieve us again.

We were checked in, asked about any allergies or special circumstances, and went over the pronunciation of my last name. (I felt weird pointing out that they were saying it incorrectly, but I also felt they would rather know how to say it, and they took it in stride.)

We were the last couple seated in the Queen Victoria’s Room. They left the doors open during the entire dinner, so we were able to hear the live harp music. (I was able to see the harpist, but my husband’s view was cut off.) The music was a mix of Disney, classical, and some other notables (I caught Phantom of the Opera at one point). The harpist wasn’t there the entire time we were, but we were there rather late.

Since I was in a kerfuffle before about what to wear, let me tell you what we wore. My husband wore a suit and tie. I had a knee-length blue dress and flats. (I also had Minnie ears, but I didn’t wear them into the restaurant.) We were in Queen Victoria’s Room with three other couples. One couple wore a suit (him) and longer gown (her)- we overheard them saying they come every six months! Another couple had a button-up shirt (him) and top and skirt (her). The last couple wore a button-up shirt (him) and dressy top and pants (her).

We were introduced to the staff who would be with us and we were given the drink menu, which was a tablet with a LOT of choices. (The glacier water, by the way, was out. We overheard the staff talking to a couple that they were trying to source a new supplier.)

We were also given our paper menu and walked through how the night would go. Our menu was the “10 course” option, which was $375 per person. The wine pairing was $210. The zero-proof non-alcoholic pairing was $145.

For drinks, my husband opted for a cocktail that was basically a margarita. I ordered a glass of red wine and opted for the non-alcoholic paring. We were also given some non-alcoholic “spring” cocktail with edible flowers.

I’ll post the menu in another post, so I won’t go through extreme detail on what everything was, but it was all phenomenal- like top 3 best meals we’ve ever had, if not the best. (I would say best, but it’s tough given recency bias!) I particularly enjoyed the crab course; my husband’s favorite was the wagyu. Despite the courses being small, they were incredibly filling- by the end, we were bursting and ended up taking most of the desserts to go. I enjoyed most of the zero-proof drinks, though there was one coffee-flavored ones I didn’t particularly enjoy. (I just don’t like coffee.) But everything else was great, especially this rhubarb rose drink that I was tempted to ask more of.

We overheard one of the staff talking to another couple about how they change the menu up constantly, and it goes through a full overhaul about 5 or 6 times a year, but no week is the same. The chef is constantly making adjustments based on trying new things and ingredient availability.

Again, I don’t like coffee, but my husband got tea at the end, and that also involved the interesting brewing contraption they use for coffee. Super neat. I want one for my house just to play with.

Everyone was so, so nice. We were given suggestions on how to eat certain courses, we talked about how our overall trip was going (and spring break crowds), and all in all it was a very pleasant experience.

The bathrooms were super nice, by the way. They don’t even have paper towels- it’s all rolled towels to use. And at least in the women’s room they had what looked like perfume you could use. And if you went to the bathroom, the staff would fold up your napkin and then when you came back, they would pull your chair out for you again.

We were last to leave, which was somewhere between 11:30 pm and midnight- so a four-hour plus experience! Of the other three couples, one left about half an hour before us, one left an hour before us, and one left two and a half hours before. I’m not sure when they got there, but based on pacing it seemed like that couple that left first was in more of a rush (they were only getting their first course when we arrived). At no point did we feel rushed to go, of course. (And there was still another party in the main room, so we weren’t the total last to leave.)

The full bill was $1300 after food, drinks, tax, and tip. We were given the check in this little wood box, which felt very formal. (And perhaps a bit classier, so it wasn’t like they were carrying out a plastic tray with paper and a credit card.)

Before we left, one of the staff offered to take our picture with the portrait of Victoria and Albert, and suggested we take a silly one where we make the same pose of Victoria and Albert. So that was fun.

They called down to valet, and our car was waiting for us when we got there.

I hope to go back, though we will probably wait a few years. It was a luxurious experience and I’m glad we did it.

@Kestryl omg, I am so excited for my dinner in 3 weeks!! I am going by myself, DH is not a Disney lover. Currently traveling in Australia with DH. Yesterday, he overheard me calling to get a solo res at Napa Rose’s chef’s counter for a few months from now, at a godawful hour of the morning due to the time difference, and he has since been informed in delighted detail about allllll of my upcoming gluttony 🤪. I just read him your menu, and I think he is regretting his decision not to do a few days at WDW, too 🤣! Thank you so much for posting!!!

Last edited:
@Kestryl Thanks for writing this while still fresh in your mind. Sounds like a good time was had 😎
You’re welcome! I am absolutely dragging my feet on my Tokyo Disney Resort summary from last summer, and realized that I could knock this one out quickly since it was so recent! Ha.

@Kestryl omg, I am so excited for my dinner in 3 weeks!! I am going by myself, DH is not a Disney lover. Currently traveling in Australia with DH. Yesterday, he overheard me calling to get a solo res at Napa Rose’s chef’s counter for a few months from now, at a godawful hour of the morning due to the time difference, and he has since been informed in delighted detail about allllll of my upcoming gluttony 🤪. I just read him your menu, and I think he is regretting his decision not to do a few days at WDW, too 🤣! Thank you so much for posting!!!
He is 100% going to regret not going! Haha!

Just a word of advice if anyone is hesitant about going.
Go. And get any add ons you want to try. The kitchen will insure the first time you try them is memorable. We've been with friends who'd never had white truffles, caviar or other luxury ingredients and the reactions are priceless.
We prefer to play dress up.
We tip 20-35% depending.

I haven’t read all of the responses, so I don’t know if anyone has offered this perspective. We’ve eaten there a handful of times over the past twenty years. Most recently we dined in November. We decided to book the main dining room as opposed to the Queen Victoria room, which we did the last time we were there. The menu can be exactly the same, and I didn’t love how few people were in The Queen Victoria room. It isn’t that big, and there were so few other people in there it just felt like we were sort of on display. There are obviously more tables in the main dining room, but I think they might be farther apart, or maybe it’s just that you sort of disappear in the “crowd”. I felt it was more private-despite more people being there. It’s great either way! Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter