• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacation ideas in Mid-West

Pharmgirl123

Mouseketeer
My family and I recently moved to IL, near Chicago. We really want to get away for a relaxing weekend over Easter. Any ideas where we should go? There are 6 of us and we like to actually do things on vacation like museums, hiking, aquariums, etc... We’ve already been to Chicago a bunch of times so I’m looking for other ideas close by.

My family and I recently moved to IL, near Chicago. We really want to get away for a relaxing weekend over Easter. Any ideas where we should go? There are 6 of us and we like to actually do things on vacation like museums, hiking, aquariums, etc... We’ve already been to Chicago a bunch of times so I’m looking for other ideas close by.

We are going to St. Louis this summer. Look at their visitors center website. Lots to do there.

Come to Michigan! With Easter falling so late, that's actually a pretty pleasant time of year to do the Lake Michigan coast - shoulder season rates make the resorts far more affordable than in the summer, but the weather is generally nice enough for hiking and outdoor fun and the flowers and forests are just starting to show their summer colors.

I personally love Traverse City and the Leelanau Penninsula in April, lots of wineries and trails and lovely restaurants, but if you don't want to drive that far, there are a lot of nice stops on the southern part of the lake. Grand Rapids has a surprisingly nice zoo and art museum for the city's size and the Frederick Meijer gardens are beautiful, the tulips in Holland will likely be starting to bloom by Easter, and there is a state park with sand dunes and walking trails near Saugatuk that I used to love as a kid (though I haven't been there in years).

I love st louis. We went to the zoo last year and it was really good, also try the city museum or science center. I love the history museum too.

St Louis has plenty to do, and lots of it free, but the best hiking will require you to go another couple hours into MO. What about Door County, WI?

We really want to do St. Louis! But we are leaving that trip for the summer so we can spend a few more days.

Come to Michigan! With Easter falling so late, that's actually a pretty pleasant time of year to do the Lake Michigan coast - shoulder season rates make the resorts far more affordable than in the summer, but the weather is generally nice enough for hiking and outdoor fun and the flowers and forests are just starting to show their summer colors.

I personally love Traverse City and the Leelanau Penninsula in April, lots of wineries and trails and lovely restaurants, but if you don't want to drive that far, there are a lot of nice stops on the southern part of the lake. Grand Rapids has a surprisingly nice zoo and art museum for the city's size and the Frederick Meijer gardens are beautiful, the tulips in Holland will likely be starting to bloom by Easter, and there is a state park with sand dunes and walking trails near Saugatuk that I used to love as a kid (though I haven't been there in years).

Ohhh! Grand Rapids looks like it’s what we’re looking for! Thanks for the idea!

Springfield, IL. Then head to St Louis. Then to Marceline to visit the Disney museum. Then to Independence, MO to visit the Harry Truman Presidential Library. Then just a quick drive to Kansas City to enjoy the amazing BBQ.

I've done this trip several times and I get excited just thinking about it.

Springfield, IL. Then head to St Louis. Then to Marceline to visit the Disney museum. Then to Independence, MO to visit the Harry Truman Presidential Library. Then just a quick drive to Kansas City to enjoy the amazing BBQ.

I've done this trip several times and I get excited just thinking about it.

Now this sounds like my kind of trip! I might have to save this for the summer or fall... for Easter, we’re planning on just going Friday-Sunday.

Now this sounds like my kind of trip! I might have to save this for the summer or fall... for Easter, we’re planning on just going Friday-Sunday.

Ah I missed the time requirement. I get excited when talking about road trips.

Visit the covered bridges of Madison County, Iowa. Then drive to Amana Colonies Iowa. Wineries, amazing meal at the Ox Yoke Inn. Cute shops to visit. Then visit the Herbert Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa (not far from Amanas).

The above can be done Fri-Sun but will be a full weekend.

We're in Chicagoland as well. We enjoy the New Glarus, WI area (we used to camp at Yellowstone Lake State Park). It's a little Swiss village. https://www.swisstown.com/

House on the Rock is great as well. https://www.thehouseontherock.com/

My husband and I did a VBRO over Labor Day last year in Algoma, WI. https://visitalgomawi.com/

Probably wouldn't recommend during a holiday weekend, but don't forget Wisconsin Dells. https://www.wisdells.com/wisconsin-dells.htm

Also, Galena is a nice little town. https://www.visitgalena.org/

We really want to do St. Louis! But we are leaving that trip for the summer so we can spend a few more days.

Holland is about a half hour from Grand Rapids. If you have time, it is a lovely town.

Depending on where you are, if you have to drive through/around Chicago, be sure to add an extra hour to the drive -- there's always traffic.

Sometime when you have longer, look into the southern shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula. We stay in the Au Train area -- there's a sandy beach, but all sorts of hiking, waterfalls, etc. in the area -- just Google "Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore." Lighthouses, boat trips -- we went there every year while the kids were growing up.

Branson, MO! Musuems, TONS of fun shows (our favorite's are The Haygoods and #1 Hits of the 60's and 50's)

Cheap flights to MSP from Chicago. (Or, hell, Amtrak!). MOA, Walker, Mn Zoo, catch a Twins game, etc.

Grand Rapids can be a very enjoyable weekend.

I think I’m going to stick to Grand Rapids! Any idea for a nice hotel to stay at?

Last time we stayed at a Drury Inn and really liked it. It's not a downtown hotel if that's what you're looking for, but it was quite nice, clean, reasonably priced. It was near the Meijer Gardens and the zoo if you're thinking of visiting either of those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter