Vaccine- Autism link proven to be a FRAUD!

I saw this - I'm a current grad student (not in medicine) and it makes me wonder what other studies are fraudulent. The bulk my classes has been learning how to discern crap from fact.

As glad as I am to see this, I really think it's going to be a case of "too little, too late". Many of the people who are convinced that there is a link aren't going to be convinced otherwise by this. They "know" there's a link and no admissions of fraud are going to change that.

Means nothing. Vaccines are filled with so much fraud, money and underhanded "studies", it will always be impossible to know the truths.

I think everyone should be required to take a stats class focused on research before graduating high school -- too many people will believe anything. I'm amazed at how different I look at reports/articles/the news media (don't even get me started on THAT)

This cartoon made me laugh after this year of my grad school courses:

correlation.png

As glad as I am to see this, I really think it's going to be a case of "too little, too late". Many of the people who are convinced that there is a link aren't going to be convinced otherwise by this. They "know" there's a link and no admissions of fraud are going to change that.

I agree. No matter what, there will be those who still blame vaccinations and refuse to change their minds.

Yea, unfortunately you are right, and people like Jenny McCarthy, who think thier celebrity status gives them medical degrees as well don't help the situation. I have a cousin who almost died when he got measels at 11 months from an unvaccinated child carrying the disease, so the idea that the misinformaiton out there causes people to choose not to vaccinate really bothers me.

I'm glad this is out but like PPs have said it's impossible to change a believer's mind. I have had several people in the past year or so, inform me of why I shouldn't vaccinate my DD... At first, I was replying that it was between me and my pediatrician. Now that's she's 1 and it keeps getting discussed, I am telling them that although there is no link, I'd rather deal with autism or some of the other "possibilities" from the immunizations than to have to bury my child because I didn't try and prevent an illness with a known immunization available.

Ultimately every parent has to decide for themselves what to do with their child. There is no right or wrong answer. Every situation is different. There are other factors involved when deciding to vaccinate or not besides if it is linked to autisum or not. One of which being the ingredients in the vaccines. Another being is the vaccine truly necessary or is it just a way for the drug companies to make more money.

I'm glad this is out but like PPs have said it's impossible to change a believer's mind.

It goes both ways. ;) As the pp stated, parents make choices for their own children. I realize that you make the choices you make because you believe they are the "right" choices, but that doesn't make them "right" for everyone. Just because others make different choices doesn't make them uneducated radical "believers". Just saying. This goes for far more than vaccinations.

Yea, unfortunately you are right, and people like Jenny McCarthy, who think thier celebrity status gives them medical degrees as well don't help the situation. I have a cousin who almost died when he got measels at 11 months from an unvaccinated child carrying the disease, so the idea that the misinformaiton out there causes people to choose not to vaccinate really bothers me.
This. There have been several outbreaks of measles and mumps in the NYC area in the last few years, and the ones put at risk are the infants who are too young to be vaccinated. Vaccines create a "herd immunity" - if the majority of a population are vaccinated against a disease, and that disease is eradicated within that population, it protects the minority (infants, or people with medical conditions or allergies that prevent them from being vaccinated) from catching the disease.

We have friends (who live in CA) who are "selectively vaccinating" their DD. When they first said something about this, we just had to agree not to talk to each other about vaccines because DP & I completely disagree with what they're doing. Our DD's pediatrician follows the AAP recommended schedule of vaccinations and will NOT allow their patients to skip/delay/separate any of them unless there's a significant medical reason to do so. They're very blunt in telling prospective patient parents that if they don't agree with following the vaccine schedule, this is not the right practice for them.

I also think the increase in documented autism cases is largely due to an increase in awareness and diagnosis. When I was a kid 20-30 years ago, a kid with what we now call Aspergers was likely to just be the "weird kid" in the class.

I'm glad this is out but like PPs have said it's impossible to change a believer's mind. I have had several people in the past year or so, inform me of why I shouldn't vaccinate my DD... At first, I was replying that it was between me and my pediatrician. Now that's she's 1 and it keeps getting discussed, I am telling them that although there is no link, I'd rather deal with autism or some of the other "possibilities" from the immunizations than to have to bury my child because I didn't try and prevent an illness with a known immunization available.

There is also the question of quality of life though. And I say this having lost a child. Had my daughter of survived she probably would have had severe brain damage. Yes selfishly I wanted her here with me no matter what but if I was looking at it from her perspective I would have to say she is in a better place today.

So if you were to look at it from your child's perspective can you honestly say they would be better off if they were to have damage from a vaccine than to take the slim risk that they would get one of these diseases and possibly die? That is the question that every parent has to decide for their child. There is no easy answer. Nor is there a right answer because there are no guarantees either way. Just because a child is vaccinated does not mean that they can not still get one of these diseases nor does it mean that if they do get one of them that they will survive. Yes chances are if they are vaccinated and get one of these diseases they will be fine just as chances are if they do not get vaccinated they will be fine as well.

This. There have been several outbreaks of measles and mumps in the NYC area in the last few years, and the ones put at risk are the infants who are too young to be vaccinated. Vaccines create a "herd immunity" - if the majority of a population are vaccinated against a disease, and that disease is eradicated within that population, it protects the minority (infants, or people with medical conditions or allergies that prevent them from being vaccinated) from catching the disease.

We have friends (who live in CA) who are "selectively vaccinating" their DD. When they first said something about this, we just had to agree not to talk to each other about vaccines because DP & I completely disagree with what they're doing. Our DD's pediatrician follows the AAP recommended schedule of vaccinations and will NOT allow their patients to skip/delay/separate any of them unless there's a significant medical reason to do so. They're very blunt in telling prospective patient parents that if they don't agree with following the vaccine schedule, this is not the right practice for them.

I also think the increase in documented autism cases is largely due to an increase in awareness and diagnosis. When I was a kid 20-30 years ago, a kid with what we now call Aspergers was likely to just be the "weird kid" in the class.

A Dr. does not get the final decision to say that they will not allow you to skip or delay a treatment. Ultimately it is up to the parent or patient. The Dr. should only be advising what they think is best for their patient. That would be a practice that I would want absolutely nothing to do with. Last I checked we did not live in Nazi Germany.

A Dr. does not get the final decision to say that they will not allow you to skip or delay a treatment. Ultimately it is up to the parent or patient. The Dr. should only be advising what they think is best for their patient. That would be a practice that I would want absolutely nothing to do with. Last I checked we did not live in Nazi Germany.
A doctor also has the right to refuse to perform a treatment they believe is ill advised. The practice is very well known and well respected in our area, and we're very happy with the care DD receives there.

Yes they can refuse to perform a treatment but they can not make you accept a treatment that you do not want.

Yes they can refuse to perform a treatment but they can not make you accept a treatment that you do not want.
Thankfully we live in America where if you don't like the course of treatment offered by one doctor you are free to find another.

Thankfully we live in America where if you don't like the course of treatment offered by one doctor you are free to find another.

That all depends on the resources at your disposal. It is not always so black and white.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that they can IF you want to stay as their patient. If you don't want to follow their treatment plan, you are, of course, welcome to find a new doctor. Doctors are allowed to refuse to patients into their practice and they can choose to not allow unvaccinated children into their practice.

It goes both ways. ;) As the pp stated, parents make choices for their own children. I realize that you make the choices you make because you believe they are the "right" choices, but that doesn't make them "right" for everyone. Just because others make different choices doesn't make them uneducated radical "believers". Just saying. This goes for far more than vaccinations.

Actually the choices that parents make affect ALL children...so truly parents should be making the choice that IS right for everyone.

And yes i think that parents should be educated, but ultimately - unless you choose to live in a bubble, your choice here might affect my child and has often negatively affected other children.

It's just too bad someone like the doctor in this article would use his position to influence so many people with bad information. And I do believe that people will continue to believe this lie even now that it has been proven wrong. Not that they're radical - I just think they won't hear this new development as clearly as they heard the original warning.

Honestly, the author of the study should be charged with a crime for purposely lying about his research. How many deaths has he caused with his lies?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter