Various last-minute questions!

Artygal90

DIS Veteran
I have been afraid to get excited about this trip, fearing it would get canceled again. Well, now it’s happening for sure and I need some advice!

I’ll be at Universal Friday through Monday for the first time in a year and a half and I have so many questions:

- What time does Guest Services open at Volcano Bay if regular park open is at 10 a.m.?

- What is the best plan for multiple rides on Hagrid’s these days? Can you rope-drop? Can you get in line just before closing? (last time we were there, they were still closing the line mid afternoon for maintenance workers in the evening)

- When the Hagrid’s virtual queue is open, do you essentially just have to refresh your phone app at the drop times and try and snag a spot?

- We might want to take a break to avoid midday heat and crowds on Saturday and Sunday. If the parks reach capacity those days, will we be able to get back in? We will be staying onsite. I have a power AP, my traveling buddy will have dated tickets.

- Any recommendations for the best restaurants at Portofino Bay, especially for a combo Mother’s Day/birthday brunch?

- Is the cinematic celebration going on at all right now?

Appreciate any and all answers!

Yes, you can rope drop Hagrid's.... and you should! Take advantage of early admission as well, if it's IOA on those days. You could easily ride Hagrid's 2-3 times in the first hour the park is open.

Hagrid's starts out the day a standby line for the first hour or so and then only turns to virtual queue if it's really crowded. Sometimes it remains a standby line the entire day.... that's more likely to happen during weekdays.

And yes, you can ride it at park close as long as you're in line before.

I have been afraid to get excited about this trip, fearing it would get canceled again. Well, now it’s happening for sure and I need some advice!

I’ll be at Universal Friday through Monday for the first time in a year and a half and I have so many questions:

- What time does Guest Services open at Volcano Bay if regular park open is at 10 a.m.?

- What is the best plan for multiple rides on Hagrid’s these days? Can you rope-drop? Can you get in line just before closing? (last time we were there, they were still closing the line mid afternoon for maintenance workers in the evening)

- When the Hagrid’s virtual queue is open, do you essentially just have to refresh your phone app at the drop times and try and snag a spot?

- We might want to take a break to avoid midday heat and crowds on Saturday and Sunday. If the parks reach capacity those days, will we be able to get back in? We will be staying onsite. I have a power AP, my traveling buddy will have dated tickets.

- Any recommendations for the best restaurants at Portofino Bay, especially for a combo Mother’s Day/birthday brunch?

- Is the cinematic celebration going on at all right now?

Appreciate any and all answers!

Ok - here's what I can say...

-Can't help on GS opening time.

-Yes, you can rope drop Hagrids, but you need to be there early. The timing of switching to virtual shifts with the crowds, but will likely be earlier on the weekends. Once it shifts to virtual, it is not often that it goes back to standby, even at the end of the night.

-Yes, keep refreshing the app to try to get times. Once options pop up, grab the later one without thinking - just do it. Taking time to discern which time is best means they will all be gone by the time you click through. There is an unofficial drop time at 6pm on many days - that was our most successful window.

-Many will suggest that 'officially,' people can be kept out of the parks at capacity, even when staying onsite. That said, I've yet to see a report of that actually happening during these reduced capacity stretches. We were there during spring break and were able to enter and exit as we wanted.

-Can't help with the rest.

Have a great trip!

They are only doing one day at a time on shows, so check with Guest Services on Cinematic Celebration. If you can, I would download UOR app. They have a lot of features on it.

I can't speak to Portofino Bay, but if you're willing to make the quick walk over to Hard Rock Hotel, The Kitchen has one of our favorite breakfasts on property. It used to be a buffet, but its my understanding they now serve it family style. Its not a brunch where some lunch foods are offered, its all breakfast, but they have a wide variety of options and its always been good when we've eaten there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter