• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

vent about WDW bus passengers

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick check shows that OP may have a special needs son with a service dog.

I don't know if she is saying that people won't let her son (with dog?) sit, or other people's children sit.

Wow. As a parent, I am responsible for myself and my child. There have been many times when my DH and I have been waiting for a bus, it filled up, and we said "you know what, we don't want to stand holding our toddler and stroller etc on that crowded bus . . . let's wait for the next one." So, no, I am not likely to give up my seat when I waited an extra long time to get a seat. I don't think anyone else should expect people to move for them . . . yes it might be nice but it is ridiculous to expect it. Everyone who feels they "need" a seat has the same option to do exactly what we often do, wait for the next bus.

I'll turn this thread to where it is eventually going to go.

Having a child is not a disability. Leave the park earlier (before the big crowds); wait for the next bus (so you are the first ones on); drive your own car; or deal with standing.

Is it nice of others to stand for you? Sure (and I probably would). Should you expect it? Nope.

I've gotten up plenty of times for the elderly and those with babies. But you may as well say that adults without kids should always stand. Well sometimes when both my hips are hurting I want to sit! I'm 5' and can't always reach the bar overhead. And my balance isn't all that good. Why I have to be made to feel like a uncaring person when I sit is beyond me. Not everyone's needs are apparent. How about the people with 13 year olds that don't get up for me. I'm in my 50s. And how about those parents who have their kids in a seat and not on their laps on a crowded bus??? I know that my views are not going to be popular... but that's just how I feel.
Nancy

Yikes....I can't believe how this thread has turned.

Here here Nancy! I think you struck the nail on the head!

I think we can all agree on one point....that if you are able to, and you find someone needy, if you give up your seat that's a nice thing to do. However, you can't judge people if they don't. And expecting them to do so just makes you as rude as you think they are because you are being judg-y about your precieved inconvenience

I've now covered pretty much all points mentioned....I have a sleeping baby that I've brought on a full bus. Someone offered me a seat, which was great, between the stroller, the diaper bag, etc. But I didn't expect it. My husband and I usually only sit one of us with the baby if its too crowded for both of us to sit.

However, when I've been at Disney all day, I've had problems with my feet where I wait for the next bus because I literally can't stand anymore, because my feet feel like a thousand hot needles are poking the bottoms and standing is just additional agony. I'm young, in shape and look just fine. So people probably are annoyed. But I don't have to take a cab, I can wait for a bus where I sit and you know what? On those days, I'm not giving up my seat to anyone and my husband wouldn't let me, just knowing how I'm feeling. It doesn't make me overly entitled, insensitive or inconsiderate.

As for the pregnant thing, I've gone to Disney pregnant twice, the second time I was 6 months pregnant. I could stand just fine and certainly didn't expect anyone to jump up for me. But it doesn't mean its not appreciated, because while pregnant, you do get tired and things just hurt. Its nice to take that load off. But it didn't mean I shouldn't be at the parks just because I did enjoy this sitting time. Because you can spend your time at the park, just looking at stuff, eating, and walking around, not straining yourself, not doing the parks "death march style"

As for the snowflake children, I know exactly what ya'll are talking about. Its unfortunate, but it happens. So you teach your child not to be like that. I'm not moving so some 8 year old can sit and play DS. And you can bet that I wouldn't let my son do that in a million years. But hey, maybe that kid has a reason they need to be sitting.

But that sense of entitlement runs both ways and that's the unfortunate reality. Cause the truth is, no one is anymore entitled than anyone else, I don't care what the story it. There are simply the circumstances.

And really, what is it 20 minutes out of your life? Is it worth all this aggravation?

I have only skimmed a couple of the pages of responses but I have never expected anyone to stand for my dd (nearly 4) or me. She has been happily standing on buses and holding on since she was about 18 months old. When she was younger I would have a firm grip on her but she has been able to hold on with 2 hands with me only keeping a gentle hand on for a long time now.
I find it interesting that people can play in the parks all day but then suddenly when the buses come everyone needs to sit down? Children won't break if they stand on a bus.

Yikes....I can't believe how this thread has turned.

Here here Nancy! I think you struck the nail on the head!

I think we can all agree on one point....that if you are able to, and you find someone needy, if you give up your seat that's a nice thing to do. However, you can't judge people if they don't. And expecting them to do so just makes you as rude as you think they are because you are being judg-y about your precieved inconvenience

I've now covered pretty much all points mentioned....I have a sleeping baby that I've brought on a full bus. Someone offered me a seat, which was great, between the stroller, the diaper bag, etc. But I didn't expect it. My husband and I usually only sit one of us with the baby if its too crowded for both of us to sit.

However, when I've been at Disney all day, I've had problems with my feet where I wait for the next bus because I literally can't stand anymore, because my feet feel like a thousand hot needles are poking the bottoms and standing is just additional agony. I'm young, in shape and look just fine. So people probably are annoyed. But I don't have to take a cab, I can wait for a bus where I sit and you know what? On those days, I'm not giving up my seat to anyone and my husband wouldn't let me, just knowing how I'm feeling. It doesn't make me overly entitled, insensitive or inconsiderate.

As for the pregnant thing, I've gone to Disney pregnant twice, the second time I was 6 months pregnant. I could stand just fine and certainly didn't expect anyone to jump up for me. But it doesn't mean its not appreciated, because while pregnant, you do get tired and things just hurt. Its nice to take that load off. But it didn't mean I shouldn't be at the parks just because I did enjoy this sitting time. Because you can spend your time at the park, just looking at stuff, eating, and walking around, not straining yourself, not doing the parks "death march style"

As for the snowflake children, I know exactly what ya'll are talking about. Its unfortunate, but it happens. So you teach your child not to be like that. I'm not moving so some 8 year old can sit and play DS. And you can bet that I wouldn't let my son do that in a million years. But hey, maybe that kid has a reason they need to be sitting.

But that sense of entitlement runs both ways and that's the unfortunate reality. Cause the truth is, no one is anymore entitled than anyone else, I don't care what the story it. There are simply the circumstances.

And really, what is it 20 minutes out of your life? Is it worth all this aggravation?

Very well said. I mentioned in my first post what about the child-less adults or even adults with children who have nothing wrong with them but wait for another bus because they really want to sit? I guess it makes them rude and inconsiderate to not give up their seat that they waited their turn for.

It's nice to be considerate and it's nice to be on the receiving end when someone does something nice. Don't act like people HAVE to act a certain way though because of certain factors then it's no longer just being nice and considerate. Then it becomes more an entitlement attitude.

Well when you are talking about sitting in a crowded bus, I would argue that those who got on early and got a seat are actually entitled to it and have every right to feel that way :)

another person who rents a car to avoid exactly this scenario.

I guess I have a different view of what is fun on vacation. For me... being so dog-tired that I can't even stay awake on a bus isn't fun. Does that mean skipping some things ? Absolutely. We all have more fun that way. Our kids don't feel like they missed out when they wake up the next morning skipping to our destination... they just know they are in a good mood and can't wait to find out what the plan is.

Don't accuse me of projecting, I'm just sharing our travel style. For us, it has gone a long way in all of us enjoying ourselves instead of cranky, overtired, miserable kids. Somtimes less truly is more!

I have only skimmed a couple of the pages of responses but I have never expected anyone to stand for my dd (nearly 4) or me. She has been happily standing on buses and holding on since she was about 18 months old. When she was younger I would have a firm grip on her but she has been able to hold on with 2 hands with me only keeping a gentle hand on for a long time now.
I find it interesting that people can play in the parks all day but then suddenly when the buses come everyone needs to sit down? Children won't break if they stand on a bus.

It has nothing to do with children needing a break. It has to do with safety. I am glad that you let your 18 month old stand on a bus but I would avoid doing that at all costs. It is not as safe as sitting in a seat. Of course, if my kids need a seat I wait for the next bus to make sure they have one. I don't rely on the kindness of strangers. It is however nice when someone is actually kind though.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

My family often gets up for other people, be that elderly, moms with babies or parents holding sleeping kids...but I have to honestly say, just because I see a child does not mean I automatically stand up and give up my seat. I mean there are kids on every bus :rotfl2: its Disney after all. Everyone is exhausted and deserves to sit if they can. I guess I would not get on a bus if I felt that it was so packed already that it was "too unsafe for my child" to be able to stand and hold onto the metal bar on each seat or one of the upright poles. Again, we often do get up, but for every standing child, that would mean we would never sit......:confused3

I agree with this. We've rented a car for 5 yrs now (or driven down), but before then, one of us either held our dd or held her hand if we were standing on a bus.

another person who rents a car to avoid exactly this scenario.

I guess I have a different view of what is fun on vacation. For me... being so dog-tired that I can't even stay awake on a bus isn't fun. Does that mean skipping some things ? Absolutely. We all have more fun that way. Our kids don't feel like they missed out when they wake up the next morning skipping to our destination... they just know they are in a good mood and can't wait to find out what the plan is.

Don't accuse me of projecting, I'm just sharing our travel style. For us, it has gone a long way in all of us enjoying ourselves instead of cranky, overtired, miserable kids. Somtimes less truly is more!

I couldn't agree with you more!!!! We have a similar travel style.

[/B]
It has nothing to do with children needing a break. It has to do with safety. I am glad that you let your 18 month old stand on a bus but I would avoid doing that at all costs. It is not as safe as sitting in a seat. Of course, if my kids need a seat I wait for the next bus to make sure they have one. I don't rely on the kindness of strangers. It is however nice when someone is actually kind though.

The original post suggested that people should always give up their seats for a child on the bus. I, as with many others don't agree. It is not as if I leave my dd standing if there is an empty seat but you pointed out you would avoid a child standing at all costs, I on the other hand believe that children are sturdier than many people give them credit for. Certainly children of 3 and above are more than able to safely hold on and travel standing up on a bus or train.
I too however, will gladly accept the kindness of an offer of a seat if provided but do not expect it.
On a side note coming from the UK where people rarely stand even for heavily pregnant or very elderly people, my experience in the USA is that many more people offer seats, certainly on the public buses, than in the UK.

I have one even better, last year when we were there my son fell asleep and I had to take him out of the stroller to hold him on the bus, and only one person offered me there seat. This was an elderly woman who I felt bad taking her seat because she also looked like she needed to sit. My husband was going to hold my son, but I was afraid he would wake up if I moved him. I stood until almost half way back when finally a man asked his son to stand so that I could sit. I guess he saw how tired my arms were getting. How about that for manners, the man would not even stand he wanted his son around 10 or 11 to stand.

Have to agree with those who say wait for the next bus. Those who say they had to stand holding a baby whatever why didn't you wait for the next bus??? I have done it with my family numerous times because I want my four year old in a seat, even though my kids would have rather stood. Furthermore, since I waited for the next bus, I'm not going to get up because the person behind me doesn't have the patience to wait for the next bus.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. popcorn::

The sense of entitlement of some people is amazing. This one perhaps takes the cake. People have been complaining that people let their children sit while adults stand... and yet when this guy asks his son to stand for you, you criticize him for not giving up his own seat. Did you want both seats?

And, for what it's worth, before you judge the guy too harshly, if his 10yo is anything like my 9yo, he was probably begging to stand even if the bus was empty. Standing on the bus was one of the "coolest rides" for my 9yo, but I only let him do it if someone else needed the seat.

I stood until almost half way back when finally a man asked his son to stand so that I could sit. I guess he saw how tired my arms were getting. How about that for manners, the man would not even stand he wanted his son around 10 or 11 to stand.

ok, I'll jump in...I wait for the next bus and I would recommend other folks do the same! We're on VACATION in FLORIDA for crying in the mud. 20 more minutes in the tropical air is a gift from the pin code gods, I tell ya. Take it in and enjoy :cloud9:

I've enjoyed reading this thread. popcorn::

The sense of entitlement of some people is amazing. This one perhaps takes the cake. People have been complaining that people let their children sit while adults stand... and yet when this guy asks his son to stand for you, you criticize him for not giving up his own seat. Did you want both seats?

And, for what it's worth, before you judge the guy too harshly, if his 10yo is anything like my 9yo, he was probably begging to stand even if the bus was empty. Standing on the bus was one of the "coolest rides" for my 9yo, but I only let him do it if someone else needed the seat.

And it's not even remotely possible that dad was using this as a teachable moment?? That he didn't notice you until that moment in time, and asked his able bodied 10 year old to do "the right thing"?? It's exactly what my husband or I would have done.

While we have always offered our seats to those in need, there have been plenty times that both my DH and I have stood with sleeping child in arm, balancing our way back to the hotel or waiting for the next bus. On one such occasion at DTD we choose to wait for the next bus and were lined up in position 1. A sleeping child in each arm and a stroller in the other we patiently waited. As the bus pulled up and just as it stopped, the biggest crowd, mostly adults and teens, came running full speed and piled on the bus before us filling it. The bus driver looked at us sadly and said another bus will be here shortly as it pulled away leaving us standing there with the remainder of the group that couldn't fit on. To assure that NO ONE got on the bus before us DH used the body block when the next bus pulled up.

I have one even better, last year when we were there my son fell asleep and I had to take him out of the stroller to hold him on the bus, and only one person offered me there seat. This was an elderly woman who I felt bad taking her seat because she also looked like she needed to sit. My husband was going to hold my son, but I was afraid he would wake up if I moved him. I stood until almost half way back when finally a man asked his son to stand so that I could sit. I guess he saw how tired my arms were getting. How about that for manners, the man would not even stand he wanted his son around 10 or 11 to stand.

So your dh didn't offer to take your sleeping child out of the stroller and hold him so that you didn't have to, and you have a problem with strangers not offering you a seat, and a father making his ds get up for you? Okay.

A very interesting thread...

I've not been to WDW yet, so am not familiar with the busses. Are there no priority seats for injured/pregnant/elderly/handicapped folks?

I live in Nagoya, Japan and regularly use public transportation. It bothers me to see able-bodied people using the priority seats with folks who truly need them standing. Fortunately, most folks here are decent enough to give up seats for those who obviously need them more.

I agree that it's a good idea to wait for the next bus and that, generally speaking, first-come, first-served. With that said, I believe it should be common courtesy to give up a seat for someone who is physically in need.

Just my $.02. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter