very ot: Pigeon Forge, TN??? Softball tournament??

lucy_love

DIS Veteran
I am going to Pigeon Forge, TN on the 23rd

can anyone tell me anything about this place? What about the weather? I get cold very easily, I keep my ac at 80 degrees :rotfl2: and I live in FL!

I am going for my boyfriend's little sisters national softball tournament. We are staying in a chalet (cabin like thing?). Mapquest says it's 9 hours from Gainesville. What can I expect at a softball tournament?

p.s.
Is anything to OT for the community board?

You won't be cold I can assure you. There is lots to do the fav being Dollywood. It is a short drive to Gatlinburg, where there is even more to do. The Old Mill and Bennetts BBQ are good places to eat. Right on the main street and The Old Mill corner is the best funnel cakes you will ever eat.

http://www.mypigeonforge.com/

Pigeon Forge is nice. Not too far from me, and not too different climate wise. lately it's been High in the low 80's, low in the mid 60's. If you get cold easily, a light jacket should do you just fine!

Funnel Cakes! Oh my those aren't on the diet but a weakness of mine :lmao:

Thanks for the suggestions, if we have a free day we are definitely going to do one of those. We did have a Dixie Stampede in Orlando but those closed abruptly due to being bought out by the Queen Mary church right next door.

I guess low 80's is better then the 90's and 100% humidity!

If you are not a big softball fan, I would bring a book, laptop or something to keep your mind busy. There is a lot of waiting around in a tournament. (Trust me, I coach those babes) There should be enough activities around PF to keep you busy for a while, but I would definitely take something to keep your mind busy.

Now for me, I don't need anything but my ole' body, cuz I would soak in every game they had there...but that is coming from the coach, not a laymen....;)

If you are not a big softball fan, I would bring a book, laptop or something to keep your mind busy. There is a lot of waiting around in a tournament. (Trust me, I coach those babes) There should be enough activities around PF to keep you busy for a while, but I would definitely take something to keep your mind busy.

Now for me, I don't need anything but my ole' body, cuz I would soak in every game they had there...but that is coming from the coach, not a laymen....;)

ok thanks, I don't want to look like that person who is bored and has better things to do :rotfl: so hopefully I can get really into it! She plays catcher so at least she will be very active to watch. But maybe I will bring a book to kil the waiting time ;)

ok thanks, I don't want to look like that person who is bored and has better things to do :rotfl: so hopefully I can get really into it! She plays catcher so at least she will be very active to watch. But maybe I will bring a book to kil the waiting time ;)

i wouldn't sweat it...most parents bring some form of entertainment to pass the time...

when i took the girls to tournaments, we took the rv and parked it with the generator on and the team would come in and eat and watch tv so they didn't have to be out in the heat...

last year, the a couple of the girls decided that they were going to leave their bags outside as to not stink up the coach...a man and his dog walked by and the dog promptly lifted his leg and left his several ounces of sunshine on their bags...they are still complaining about that!

One thing I would recommend is the aquarium, we went and it was pretty cool!! You can spend the better part of the day just walking up and down the streets in Gatlinburg, and PF is lots of fun too!!

KILLER-
KILLER-
FUNNEL CAKES !!!

A young man and his Swedish wife bought the little food court several years ago.
A must have FUNNEL CAKE !!

I knew you would remember that Swedish wife and in the summer she brings her sisters over to help out with the place. I remained outside with the pups while Frank and DS went inside.

The PF Gat. area can be VERY hot during the summer! Dress for hot and take a jacket just in case!

We have AP's to Dollywood and love it! It is a great park and there are tons of rides and shows! The park is really clean and they have the best food there(funnel cakes:thumbsup2 , kettle potatoes, fried green tomatoes and beans and greens to name a few!)! The food is really the best part of Dollywood! Sometimes we just go to eat lunch or dinner and then leave to ride go-carts, shopping or find an arcade for the kids! If you go to their website it will give you hours and special events...also, if you go in after 3pm you get the next day free!

I don't care so much for Gatlinburg because of parking issues and traffic. There is really nothing to do there except shop at all of the tourist type shops, except The Village is a great area to eat and shop, if you can afford it!

The best place to eat in Gatlinburg would be Sonny's Deli for lunch(hole in the wall) and Calhoun's(GREAT FOOD) for dinner. In PF I would eat at the Apple Barn Grill(NOT THE BARN) for lunch and Sagebrush for dinner(best wings!) We always stay at the James Manor in Pigeon Forge...it is not fancy but it is very clean and has free breakfast.

Have a good trip!:)

Gatlinburg/pigeon forge is awsome, we try to go every couple of years but its been awhile. I have some pics from 05

Our cabin (Cosby Tenn)
AR000402.jpg

Gatlinburg
AR001902.jpg

AR004002.jpg

Behind our cabin
AR000802.jpg

AR001302.jpg

AR001602.jpg

Gatlinburg
AR001902-1.jpg

AR002102.jpg

AR003502.jpg

AR003402.jpg

AR008102.jpg

Dollywood
AR005802.jpg

AR006602.jpg

Dixie Stampede
AR007602.jpg

AR009202.jpg

AR009002.jpg

AR009902.jpg

AR010002.jpg

NEW YORK—According to a report released Monday by the American Tourism Society, going to the tops of things is still the preferred activity among the nation's tourists. "Although driving past things and swimming in things have both grown in popularity over the last decade, going to the tops of things still surpasses both by nearly 30 percent," said ATS president Kimberly Davis, who was careful to point out that the photographing of things was not included in the report, since the near constant occurrence of this activity makes its frequency impossible to calculate. "In 2008, tourists remained committed to standing in long lines at the bottoms of things, paying upwards of $20 to gain access to the tops of those things, and then staring at other smaller, more distant things for a few minutes before descending, often to have funny pictures of themselves drawn incorporating the things in the background." Davis added that, perhaps as a consequence of the declining economy, the purchasing of miniature representations of the things that tourists enjoy going to the tops of has dropped by 14 percent

Wow thanks for the pictures and advice everyone! I am really excited now :woohoo:

Great FOOD is all I need on my DIET! We are staying in a cabin like yours tungpo!

:)

It seems like a lot of people rent cabins like yours? Your pics are great! I wish we were going when it was snowing :( I love the snow! I hope our cabin has a hot tub!!

OK Ron, those pictures are awesome!!!! I want to go Gatordad!!! That looks like a great place to visit!!! How long of a ride was it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter