very upsetting news

Alice42

Alice in Wonderland lover
Hello,
we are having our wedding at the wedding pavilion and our reception at the grand floridian salons c&d (or so we thought) in October. we received a phone call from our wedding manager stating that there was a big convention coming into town that weekend and we need to switch our reception site to the boardwalk. my fiancee and I are very disappointed because we had our heart set on the GF and already toured the site. I just can't believe that disney could do that to us! It's our wedding day and we want everything to be perfect. we've been planning this wedding for over a year and now they tell us we can't have what we have chosen?! It didn't even seem like the wedding manager was sympathetic with our feelings at all. we are seriously considering not even holding our wedding there. and he didn't even give us other options for our reception site, just the boardwalk. has this happened to anyone else before??
:mad:

I think its horrible, i just got married 6 months ago and i would have been devistated if i was told i had to move my wedding.

How do disney weddings work? Did you sign a contract? If so does the contract have any clause related to this? Maybe they are just trying to 'bully' you into switching. I know with the hall we had our wedding at, the contract specifically stated the room.

I feel that if they are going to change things on you that they have an obligation to 'make it up to you', and most good companies will. 3 days before the wedding i got a call saying the limo we had reserved was broke, i was very upset, but they made it up by sending 2 limos for the same price and it ended up working even better then we had hoped for.

I hope it all works out for you.

Thanks for the reply.
We haven't signed our contract yet. It is supposed to be signed 8 months before the wedding. We were supposed to sign it over a month ago, but our wedding manager said the delay was due to the convention. It just seems like our needs our secondary. Maybe the convention is paying boat loads of money to have it at the GF. Who knows.
Our manager also told us that even though we sign a contract stating where our ceremony and reception are, it can always be changed last minute for whatever reason. So, what's the point of a contract???? I really hope Disney makes it up to us somehow.

I really want my "fairy tale wedding":(

I would have to echo the sentiments that WDW should do something of grand compensation for the change request of your wedding. It does seem unfair that you will not be able to have your reception at the GF, have you thought about the WL or Swan and Dolphin (even though they are not Disney owned) They actually might be willing to take your money, since WDW doesn't.

Sounds like the wedding manager is in the wrong. Is it a WDW rep?

Ultimately, it really won't matter the surrounding sights, as all eyes will be on the bride and groom and celebrating in your love. Congrats on your up-coming marriage.

Alice42,
We just received our contract in the mail yesterday. Our Wedding is November 8th at The GF. We've had this planned for 2 years and I've been in touch with a Sales Manager for all of that time. She had told me numerous times that up until the contract was signed and the deposit was sent, (8 months prior) that if a convention vendor requested the reception location, that would take priority-her example was Pepsi or any major corporation. It sounds greedy, but that's their policy. My DF and I had said that we were flexible to our reception location-which is what kept up sane during the waiting period. But we were told-more than once that once they receive our deposit, we cannot be bumped from our location. It's horrible that your Sales Manager did not inform you of this policy ahead of time and even worst that he's not sympathetic. I hope that everything works out for you, Best of Luck.

Hi! As the previous post said, this is standard Disney policy. The conventions bring in more money, since they book many more rooms than weddings do. Disney never allows you to sign a contract for your reception space more than 8 months out, since conventions are given priority. They won't bump you from your ceremony spot generally, since of course a convention wouldn't use the wedding pavilion or Yacht Club Gazebo, but conventions do get priority for reception spaces unless you have a signed contract.
I think that it's a pity that you were bumped from your reception spot, but generally it's the ceremony location that people set their hearts on. You can always ask if there is another date where your reception spot is available, since probably your guests haven't made any irrevocable travel decisions yet. Are there any other GF convention center rooms available? Or have you considered other possibilities, like the Summer House?
I don't think that Disney needs to do anything extra in your case, since this is just a standard practice. If your SM didn't tell you anything about this ahead of time, he/she should have done so, but it really has happened pretty often to couples. Disney is a corporation, just like any other, and they would prefer to rent the space to a convention that will throw more $$ their way than a wedding, which is why you couldn't sign the contract until 8 months in advance. Without the contract, they aren't obligated to rent the space to you.
Good luck finding an alternative!
Cheers!
Heather W

That really sucks! I can sympathize. We're not getting married in Disney- just honeymooning, but we actually had the same thing happen to us for our reception in NJ. We signed our contract and 6 months later got a call that there was a truckers convention that weekend, so we either had to change or date or find someplace else. Since we had our contract we were able to get some compensation, but I know how it feels when you think you have everything planned and then you're told you have to change it. Definitely try and get compensated somehow. Good luck, I hope everything works out for you!

i'm just wondering, what did you decide to do/how did you work it out?

we spoke with our manager late last week and he said that we might be able to have our reception where our cocktail hour is going to be held (Whitehall room at the GF). He still has to get some sort of approval and backup plan for inclement weather. So, we're still waiting to hear from him. This is a little happier news, but we're still not totally satisfied.
Thanks for all the replys!:D

What day are you getting married? My fiancee and I are getting married in that timeframe and wonder if it will affect us?

This actually happened for our reception as well. We had planned to take our guests to the Luau...we're a really laid back crowd.

Anyway...a convention came into town and I was called and told the news. We ended up going to the Luau the night before instead...and our coordinator...who I've heard is no longer there...went out of his way to make sure everything was spectacular and gave us some extras...like the fact that he took it off of our final bill...yup we got it completely free. :) He also set up an extra dinner arrangment at Artist Pointe for the night we were suppose to go to the Luau...which we loved. There again...we were given "magical wishes" to use for dinner, which didn't cost us anything except for alcoholic drinks and tip.

I'm not saying this is usual practice...I didn't even complain, I expressed my disappointment, but just asked what else we could do instead. He said he felt terrible that we were having to change our plans due to Disney policy and wanted to make it up to us...and I have to say...he did very well. :)

Good luck and congratulations.

We just attended a Disney wedding the end of January. The reception was in the Whitehall room. The bride specifically requested this location and it was beautiful. It only holds 50 but is octagon shape and she was able to have a pre-reception open bar and appetizers on the patio just outside the room.

We are having our wedding reception at the Boardwalk. We were sent pictures and it looks like a great place. My FW also wanted to have it at the GF, but when she saw the Boardwalk, she changed her mind. I'm sure us living in Jersey helped it a little because it reminded her of home.

I know it is not your first choice but the boardwalk is very nice. My sister got married at the wedding pavilion and the reception was at the boardwalk. It was lovely! Most of us stayed at the BWV and LOVED it!

As I've stated previously, we signed our contract recently for our November Wedding at the GF. Our Sales Manager called me yesterday and asked if we minded switching ballrooms because there is a convention there the same night and their party became larger that they had hoped, so they wanted us to swap. We didn't mind at all. My Manager thanked me for aggreing to switch and has given us ANOTHER complimentary night at the Grand Floridian!!!! I was soo excited, and it worked out great because we originally wanted the ballroom we now have! Disney was very generous to us, I think it all depends on the Coordinator and Sales Manager.

First of all, I am really sorry that you have encountered this problem during your wedding planning. Here's how Disney usually handles this situation: If you've already signed your contact (at the eight month mark or after) and then a convention books the locations you wanted, they go out of their way to accommodate your second choice and you generally get a financial break or a lot of upgraded options at no charge. I've heard about this sort of thing happening about five or six times over the past few years.

If, however, you have not signed your contract, Disney is not required to provide any "make-good" offer. I know it's totally disappointing but until you sign that contract, you are not obligated to Disney and they are not obligated to you.

In your case, can you consider changing your wedding date so you can reserve your original reception location? Also, have you had a chance to view the BoardWalk ballrooms? They really are lovely and aremvery similar to those at the GF. And, the food & beverage minimums are $25 per person lower at the BW than at the GF.

You can always consider an Epcot reception. The VIP Lounge at the Living Seas is a really unique venue.

I hope everything works out! Good luck!

I was just going to echo Andrea's statement. Although you had everything set in your mind (and heart), you didn't have any signed contract with Disney. Even with the contract, they have the option to make a change.

The BW is lovely. You might even like it better if the convention at the GF is going to be so big. You'd be better off in another location instead of sandwiched in-between meetings.

This type of thing can happen at any convention destination. We once had a large convention planned for the Broadmoor. Then word came that the President (of the U.S.) wanted to hold a meeting there. Guess who got bumped? ;)

I've seen numerous weddings at the Yacht Club. They have a lovely gazebo area and the hotel is very pretty. You might want to check this out.

thanks for everyone's kind words and support! :)

We managed to get our original choice of having our reception at the GF! I don't know if our complaining and whining helped the situation at all, but our manager was able to get the GF for us! I couldn't be happier. We signed our contract last week and now the ball should be rolling. I am very excited, but I hope everything goes smooth from here on out. I guess you never know, though.

I just want everything to be perfect!:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter