• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VGF have to own to stay?

Coach81

DIS Veteran
While we were touring the Grand Floridian Villas the other day, the CM said that you will only be able to stay there if you own points there, I'm sure that is not really the case, right?

DVC members from other resorts will be able to reserve there at the 7 month window. Beginning June 23 other resort owners will be able to begin reserving. There will be a temporary four month window for non-owners for all dates from the first opening date Oct 23 to Dec 31 and thus on June 23 one will only be able to try for the week from Oct 23, when the resort opens, to Oct 30 if they want any 2013 time. On June 23, they can also start making ressies using the 7 month window for the time after Dec 31.

A different issue is whether rooms will actually be available at 7 months out. VGF is going to be the smallest of all the WDW DVC resorts--6 GVs, 47 2BR dedicated and 47 2BR lock-offs, with a portion being standard and a portion lake view (exact split not yet announced but suspect probably around 50/50). A major issue is likely to be the studios, 47 max combined standard and lake view and they can all be part of 2 BRs. BWV standard view has 52 possible studios and for much of the year, those are usually booked before the 7 month window opens.

Well, I believe for a while that might be the case. There are such a limited number of villas that I think most of them will be booked up by owners at the 11 month mark. I think there will be very limited availability at the 7 month mark for non owners. There might be scattered nights here and there.

But technically speaking can you book at 7 months if not an owner? Sure. If you can find anything available.

ok.. that's what my wife said that he MEANT to say... not that you CAN'T.. just there will be very limited availability... he said that you could not stay there unless you owned. Thanks for clearing that up for me!!!

While we were touring the Grand Floridian Villas the other day, the CM said that you will only be able to stay there if you own points there, I'm sure that is not really the case, right?

No. It may be difficult at first, as new VGF owners probably want to try out their new resort, and non-owners as well.

I think booking a 1-BR will be possible, with studios perhaps being difficult to book.

The only DVC resort that I would label as hard to book might be VGC, but it is still attainable.

The sales folks seem to make statements like this, including how fast it is going to sell out.

just to clarify what another poster said about the temporary 4 month window for non owners. I believe that window is not just for 2013 bookings, but extends until the end of 2014. Not until January 1 2015 stays and beyond will non owners get a 7 month window.

Edit. Nevermind...reread the website. It's for 2013 only.

Have seen it for rent already, so no.

Call it "sales pitch".

drusba said:
DVC members from other resorts will be able to reserve there at the 7 month window. Beginning June 23 other resort owners will be able to begin reserving. There will be a temporary four month window for non-owners for all dates from the first opening date Oct 23 to Dec 31 and thus on June 23 one will only be able to try for the week from Oct 23, when the resort opens, to Oct 30 if they want any 2013 time. On June 23, they can also start making ressies using the 7 month window for the time after Dec 31.

A different issue is whether rooms will actually be available at 7 months out. VGF is going to be the smallest of all the WDW DVC resorts--6 GVs, 47 2BR dedicated and 47 2BR lock-offs, with a portion being standard and a portion lake view (exact split not yet announced but suspect probably around 50/50). A major issue is likely to be the studios, 47 max combined standard and lake view and they can all be part of 2 BRs. BWV standard view has 52 possible studios and for much of the year, those are usually booked before the 7 month window opens.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android

According to the DVD/DVC internal FAQ, the view split is 39% Lake View and 61% Standard View. That means that there are only 18 possible 1 bedroom, and 18 Studio lake view rooms if they are not used as a 2 bedroom lock-off. In addition up to 35% of the resort can be sold as a fixed week.

:earsboy: Bill

I wonder if this means even owners will have trouble, say during high demand seasons, without using some manipulation like walking their reservation?:confused3

I think it will be interesting to see the availability posts starting at the end of this month. I am trying for a studio and my 7 month mark is June 25th. I set a reminder on my iPhone so I don't forget. Ha!

I wonder if this means even owners will have trouble, say during high demand seasons, without using some manipulation like walking their reservation?:confused3

It's possible, that's why the fixed week option is attractive.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm totally confused about the 4 month window for non-owners. What exactly does that mean?

We're going to try and stay at VGF in Feb 2014 and as far as I know, as a non-owner, I can try and book starting in July, correct?

I'm totally confused about the 4 month window for non-owners. What exactly does that mean?

We're going to try and stay at VGF in Feb 2014 and as far as I know, as a non-owner, I can try and book starting in July, correct?

I understand it like this. For stays from October 23rd to December 31st, there is a 4 month window. So if you want to stay October 23rd, non owners can start booking June 23rd. But from what I see, October 23rd is all booked up already.

Starting January 1st, any stay will follow the typical 7 month window, but still beginning on June 23rd. So for your trip in February 2014, yes, 7 months before then (which is July) you can book your trip.

Hopefully as time goes on.. this place will become easy to stay at... 7 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter