Vintage resort pics?

OK, I'll kick this off. Here is a pic of the old Tree House Villas. They were 3 bedroom villas; two on the main floor and one at the base of the tree house. It was taken in 1981 and I scanned it from a slide (hence the poor quality). Even though it is not the greatest picture of the villas it still brings back great memories.

Connor-167.jpg
awesome

Found a few more pics...

GF88.jpg

This is what the room at the Grand Floridian looked like in 1988. The decor was very pleasant and this trip was the first time we encountered the "pay" fridge!

contemp89.jpg

After the Contemp rooms were remodeled, they looked like this in 1989...

contemp89-2.jpg

Looks like they saved a lot of money on the new furniture and artwork... again 1989.

contemp89-3.jpg

I always liked having two sinks in the bath as we had in 1989 at the Contemporary Resort. After the next renovation, there was only one basin.

OMG! All I see when I look at these pictures of the Contemporary is the Teddy Ruxpin doll the little girl is holding. That definitely reminds me of the 80's and I still have my Teddy Ruxpin. On a side note, those rooms are so ugly! I stayed there in the early 90's and do not recall what they looked like, but it definitely wasn't that.

These are just some of the pics that I have from my family trip in 1986. I have lots more of the rides like Snow Whites Scary Adventures, Peter Pan, Jungle Cruise, and ton's more of the Main St. Electrical Parade. I just chose these ones to narrow it down. Enjoy. :thumbsup2

ropedrop86-2.jpg

ropedrop86-1.jpg

The picture of the entrance is interesting. Did they fill in the upper walkway?

They didn't fill int he upper portion - the photo is actually a bit of an optical illusion.

There is a planter in the middle of the plaza once you pass through the turnstiles - the people that you see walking are walking BEHIND the planter - the little girl is sitting on the the FRONT on of the planter, and because the landscaping/planting in the planter slopes from front to back, going up, it looks like the ground behind the planter is higher than the front - it actually isn't higher - it just looks that way!

Currently the photopass photographers usually stand against the rear side of that planter to get photos in front of the train station!

I hope that clears things up! :goodvibes

Sorry but this was the first picture I ever scanned. This was me in 1973 at CR. We didn't stay there on this trip but back then we could "pool hop". We stayed at the campground which probably was not called Fort Wilderness back then but maybe it was. Sorry no pictures of the campground. As a matter of fact this was the best picture I have of the entire trip. :sick:

wdw1973.jpg

Sorry but this was the first picture I ever scanned. This was me in 1973 at CR. We didn't stay there on this trip but back then we could "pool hop". We stayed at the campground which probably was not called Fort Wilderness back then but maybe it was. Sorry no pictures of the campground. As a matter of fact this was the best picture I have of the entire trip. :sick:

Campground pool hopping was allowed because the campground didn't have a pool of it's own - only the lake (which you could swim in at the time). If I am remembering, FW didn't get a pool till the mid 80's.

My favorite pool hop pool was Poly as it had the rock slide. We never went to the CR - my mom thought it was "too snooty" there. ROFL.

Campground pool hopping was allowed because the campground didn't have a pool of it's own - only the lake (which you could swim in at the time). If I am remembering, FW didn't get a pool till the mid 80's.

My favorite pool hop pool was Poly as it had the rock slide. We never went to the CR - my mom thought it was "too snooty" there. ROFL.

I remember going to both pools. The Poly is my dream resort:cloud9: because of the volcano slide. I was too short and not a strong swimmer at the time and I couldn't go down the slide. I was so upset. I determined to stay at The Poly and go down that slide even thought it isn't the exact same slide.

I read on the camping board that they moved out all the trailers. They are now in a retirement community somewhere else in Florida. The cabins were new. I suspect it made sense to keep the units roughly the same size since the loops were set-up for them.

If you Google the Village of La Casa Del Sol, you will see the community that bought the old trailers. They are still in use today.

I remember seeing the new log cabins being trucked toward WDW during the replacement period and thinking how neat they were. I couldn't wait to stay in one!

Some from the outside of the Caribbean Beach Resort, November 1990

1094049318_7QDzy-L.jpg

1172746212_reRGC-L.jpg

1114284906_BBgjC-L.jpg

More from the Caribbean Beach Resort, November 1990

1094049052_UJwMb-L.jpg

Here's a copy of our bill:

CB-Bill-ed-L.jpg

Same DS at the Poly, Garden View, in the old Tahiti building in 1992:

1204985719_PofKz-L.jpg

Poly building map from 1992 with old building names:

1204986216_TLTmo-L.jpg

View of the monorail from our balcony; loved that room!

1204986064_SEYDF-L.jpg

I am getting real liberal with the term 'vintage resort pics'. Below are a couple of pics from the beach at Fort Wilderness - I think. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, I am the geeky one wearing the complete face mask for swimming in the lagoon. :rotfl:

Connor-173.jpg

Connor-174.jpg

OK, I need ya'lls help. Does anyone know where this is? I don't recognize any of the landmarks. Could it be near the Polynesian?

Connor-165.jpg

Love the pics. BUt you know what is sad is that you used to be able to swim in the lagoon. Look how clear the water was back then.. Doesn't look like that now.. :sad2::sad1:

James

Pre-digital camera days I only took very few photos so these are a couple Contemporary Resort pictures from a short trip in December 1999 we took to attend our very first MVMCP:

Untitled-226-L.jpg

Untitled-224-L.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter