VIP Guide. To tip or not to tip?

Lisaloo

DIS Veteran
I keep getting conflicting suggestions. We have a guide scheduled for two days this month and I have heard that they are not allowed to accept cash tips but have read that people do tip them. To me it seems like a no brainer situation where we would absolutely tip. What has been your experience?

You could always offer to buy their lunch, although I'm pretty sure they get a substantial discount from what you'd pay...

Officially, they can not accept a tip and will most likely decline it 3 times. After that , they may accept...

I keep getting conflicting suggestions. We have a guide scheduled for two days this month and I have heard that they are not allowed to accept cash tips but have read that people do tip them. To me it seems like a no brainer situation where we would absolutely tip. What has been your experience?

When I booked our VIP tours I asked if tipping was allowed (it wasn't in 2013) and was told that tipping was acceptable. I don't know if that rule officially changed or not as I haven't read online that it has. Now, whether the tip went into the pocket of our guide or into a pool to be shared by all of the guides I don't know, but I tipped him $200 per day.

You could always offer to buy their lunch, although I'm pretty sure they get a substantial discount from what you'd pay...

I believe their lunch is free. When I offered to buy our tour guide lunch he said that his was "on the Mouse".

Their lunch is paid for by the company. If they do accept it after the third time they are required to turn the money in and it supposedly it gets pooled for something. I think they are allowed to accept giftcards and a visa gift card is almost the same as cash.

Personally I would not want to put them in a position where they were in jeopardy of losing their jobs, but I suppose you could try if you feel strongly about it.

Well of course i don't want to put anyone's job in jeopardy, just wanted to find out how others have handled the tipping after spending time with the guides.

I believe their lunch is free. When I offered to buy our tour guide lunch he said that his was "on the Mouse".
That's good to know. Free is better than a "substantial discount."

I've been getting conflicting answers on this too. From what I've gotten, they used to not be able to accept tips but now they are.

Would/how much would you tip for the Ultimate Day of Thrills tour? Do you tip for the behind the seeds tour, Wild Africa trek?

I never thought of this question - does that mean you tip the guide for Keys or any of the other tours?

I guess that's why I asked. I can certainly see doing so, especially a VIP tour. The group tours confuse me a bit. I have no problem tipping for service rendered-was a bar tender and waitress through college, so I tend to be generous for good service. I just hadn't really thought about some of the group tours as a service to tip-just didn't wrap my brain around that. Would love to know what other people have done.

VIP tour guides meals are paid for by the company. They are allowed to accept tips. Tour guides for other experiences like Wild Africa Trek are not permitted to accept tips. Small tokens of appreciation are acceptable.

VIP tour guides meals are paid for by the company. They are allowed to accept tips. Tour guides for other experiences like Wild Africa Trek are not permitted to accept tips. Small tokens of appreciation are acceptable.

We have had numerous VIP guides. Our most recent was April 2015 and our confirmation ( and all the others we have ever received) clearly states that tipping is not permitted. However, this said SOME will accept tips and it does not take 3 offers. Always possible that this has changed since April but if tipping is not allowed it should be on your confirmation with all the other info about what they can and cannot do. I have seen conflicting reports on this as well so always possible that it changed. I would still refer to your confirmation or call the number provided on the confirmation.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ride-Delegate-Memoir-Disney/dp/1941500099

• Plus, you'll learn about the perks and privileges of being a VIP Tour Guide, from corn dogs to illicit cash, and the lengths to which Disney will go to keep its VIP guests happy

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter