Virtual Queues with DAS guests

michelb

Mouseketeer
Based on recent reports, it appears that DisneyWorld has tweaked their Virtual Queue system and is now requiring that VQ slot holders be at the ride when their slot number is called or they forfeit their slot.
I feel that this is unreasonable for many DAS holders so have written to them suggesting that DAS holders be allowed to board anytime after their slot is called (our son has ASD and severe anxiety and so often is not ready to board when it's our turn and it could take 15-20 minutes or more been when he's told to board before he's actually willing to board).
I encourage you to do the seen if you feel this could be an impact.

now requiring that VQ slot holders be at the ride when their slot number is called or they forfeit their slot
It is a 1-hour window and I haven't heard that you need to be at the attraction before your boarding group is called, just to arrive within that 1-hour window. And it's only being enforced on TRON; Guardians is still lax about the return time. That said, it has been rumored that DAS holders are given an extra hour to report to TRON, but I honestly don't know how accurate that is because I've read others who were turned away - maybe they were more than an hour past the time.

Is your son unable to arrive at the attraction until he feels ready? Or just may need to wait to board? Once you check-in at the attraction and get your boarding group converted to a DAS, he probably isn't held to the strict window if he needs another 10-15 minutes before joining the queue or standing back at the boarding point as long as you remain in that area.

My issue with the TRON VQ is that the estimated callback time is way off, with many folks reporting their boarding group gets called as much as 3 hours earlier. I think WDW needs to adjust their estimates to be more accurate.

The app gives us several warnings that our time is coming up, plus you still have that hour to get there. I think that is plenty reasonable and I personally don't think that anyone should get special treatment on this. They are wanting to get as many people as possible on the rides and letting some show up whenever they want can mess with the flow of the system. Some are not even able to ride it at all because they were not lucky enough to get the VQ time.
I think that you got some bad information about this. There is no way for them to know if you get in line exactly when your return time comes up. That would mean dozens of people trying to get into the line at the exact same time. I think that you misunderstood and they meant that you have to get there within that hour, no going over that.

My understanding is that the other issue with Tron is that people want a "night time" ride on it so coming after your window becomes problematic (since everyone would want to do it). It wasn't/isn't such as issue when there isn't a big ride difference between day and night.

We haven’t been to WDW since TRON opened, but have used Virtual Queue multiple times.
Each time, we received multiple messages each time the Boarding Group time changed. We also received several reminders that our Boarding Group was coming up and once it had been called. And, once it’s called, guests do have an hour to check in.

The biggest issue I’ve seen with Boarding Groups is the time sometimes changes a lot. I can see why they are sticking to the hour; if everyone comes whenever they want, the Virtual Queue doesn’t really work.
There is also a lot of demand for evening rides since many of the people who have ridden after dark have written/posted about how cool it is.

I'll post what I answered on another similar thread. Overall I think enforcing the hour is good policy and that the DAS should not be immune to following the rules.

In your example I believe you will be at the discretion of the CMs on the ground. Their operation policy at the moment is what has the final say so. I would show up for your time, tell them the situation should your DS still need a few more minutes and ask them the best way to handle it so you can give him those few minutes to prepare to enter. But you likely can avoid it if you arrive at the beginning of your window then he has an hour to prepare.

We have a DAS user in the family and I certainly get how they are doing can impact one's day. We've had days where we never left the room. We've also held popular ride DAS, waited most our time ... then had to leave the park losing the chance to ride. Last trip we got our VQ for Guardians, a ride he loves. I was happy I was able to get it. Guess what? He couldn't make it until our boarding time so we lost out.

You can't really ask for an advantage over all other guests, that is not the point of the DAS. If they are enforcing return times for all other guests, that should be the same for DAS guests. It's not like DAS guests don't already experience enforced times, they do with the Advance Selections.

You can't get the DAS the "traditional" way because neither can any other guest wait the traditional way. Doing so would give the DAS holders an advantage. Giving DAS users an advantage also risks more folks fraudulently applying for one.

I greatly appreciate the DAS for my son and it is up to us to make it work the best we can.

Based on recent reports, it appears that DisneyWorld has tweaked their Virtual Queue system and is now requiring that VQ slot holders be at the ride when their slot number is called or they forfeit their slot.
I feel that this is unreasonable for many DAS holders so have written to them suggesting that DAS holders be allowed to board anytime after their slot is called (our son has ASD and severe anxiety and so often is not ready to board when it's our turn and it could take 15-20 minutes or more been when he's told to board before he's actually willing to board).
I encourage you to do the seen if you feel this could be an impact.
I find that many things at WDW are ultimately flexible. If riding Tron is a major part of your son's enjoyment of the theme park, it's probably worth asking at guest relations or a blue umbrella if an exception can be made based on his specific circumstances. You may need to explain why a 1 hour window won't/didn't work for your DAS-holder.

This doesn't seem to affect the Guardians of the Galaxy VQ. Tron has been officially open for what - 4 days now? I'm guessing that they're still working out the operational details and things will change regularly over the next month or two, then again as the demand subsides.

I'll post what I answered on another similar thread. Overall I think enforcing the hour is good policy and that the DAS should not be immune to following the rules.
I think casting this as "DAS should not be immune to following the rules" is misleading. The nature of DAS is that it accommodates people who can't enjoy full and equal enjoyment of the parks without it. By definition, DAS changes the rules for the holder.

Disney has very, very good data on what percentage of DAS-holders redeem all or most of their return times within an hour and who uses their advance reservations successfully. They might be right that for most DAS-holders this isn't an unreasonable policy. But there probably are DAS-holders that need an accommodation on this rule. The only way to get one is to ask and explain your case.

This doesn't seem to affect the Guardians of the Galaxy VQ. Tron has been officially open for what - 4 days now? I'm guessing that they're still working out the operational details and things will change regularly over the next month or two, then again as the demand subsides.
The situation with Tron is much different. The overall belief and conversation about Tron is that it is SUBSTANTIALLY better at night because of it's outside track. Currently and going forward the night times will be the coveted return times. If Disney allows folks to return anytime after their time it will lead to hoards of guests showing up as late as they can. This won't change. The only way to to keep the attraction operating at capacity and efficiently (under the current VQ system) is to not allow late returns.

I think casting this as "DAS should not be immune to following the rules" is misleading. The nature of DAS is that it accommodates people who can't enjoy full and equal enjoyment of the parks without it. By definition, DAS changes the rules for the holder.

Disney has very, very good data on what percentage of DAS-holders redeem all or most of their return times within an hour and who uses their advance reservations successfully. They might be right that for most DAS-holders this isn't an unreasonable policy. But there probably are DAS-holders that need an accommodation on this rule. The only way to get one is to ask and explain your case.
The DAS holder must still wait the same time as the Standby guests, no changing that rule. Where you wait changes, yes, but I wouldn't say that changes the rules.

I did say to the OP that they should ask at the attraction if the CMs can work with them if DS needs a few more minutes. That would be something for the on the ground CMs to handle with the current operation/wait times etc of the attraction. But the best option is be there on time so they have an hour to work with.

I do not believe that there should be a policy change that DAS users can come whenever they want when the rest of the guests are told they have to come within their time slot. Doing that asks for above and beyond treatment and is a clear advantage to DAS holders.

The more guests push for more advantages with the DAS the closer it takes us to another revamp of the program, and possibly even tighter restrictions. It is up to each guest to manage our park time and our needs, and utilize the DAS the best we can.

The app gives us several warnings that our time is coming up, plus you still have that hour to get there. I think that is plenty reasonable and I personally don't think that anyone should get special treatment on this. They are wanting to get as many people as possible on the rides and letting some show up whenever they want can mess with the flow of the system. Some are not even able to ride it at all because they were not lucky enough to get the VQ time.
I think that you got some bad information about this. There is no way for them to know if you get in line exactly when your return time comes up. That would mean dozens of people trying to get into the line at the exact same time. I think that you misunderstood and they meant that you have to get there within that hour, no going over that.
I agree that DAS

DAS is the accommodation - no reason, legal or otherwise why a DAS holder should get additional time over other guests.

The situation with Tron is much different. The overall belief and conversation about Tron is that it is SUBSTANTIALLY better at night because of it's outside track. Currently and going forward the night times will be the coveted return times. If Disney allows folks to return anytime after their time it will lead to hoards of guests showing up as late as they can. This won't change. The only way to to keep the attraction operating at capacity and efficiently (under the current VQ system) is to not allow late returns.

The DAS holder must still wait the same time as the Standby guests, no changing that rule. Where you wait changes, yes, but I wouldn't say that changes the rules.

I did say to the OP that they should ask at the attraction if the CMs can work with them if DS needs a few more minutes. That would be something for the on the ground CMs to handle with the current operation/wait times etc of the attraction. But the best option is be there on time so they have an hour to work with.

I do not believe that there should be a policy change that DAS users can come whenever they want when the rest of the guests are told they have to come within their time slot. Doing that asks for above and beyond treatment and is a clear advantage to DAS holders.

The more guests push for more advantages with the DAS the closer it takes us to another revamp of the program, and possibly even tighter restrictions. It is up to each guest to manage our park time and our needs, and utilize the DAS the best we can.
All of this 100%. This is fair and reasonable.

This part of the conversation belongs in Rumors and News, not the disability forum. I'd be glad to discuss it with you there. But right now we're not talking about letting regular park guests return anytime.

That's the primary benefit DAS-fraud is currently after, so I'd say it changes the rules pretty substantially. And that isn't the only way DAS changes the rules, it's just the one people talk about the most.

And IMO, if you have difficulty with a 1 hour window the best option is to ask for help well before your VQ is called. I think either of our suggestions is better than sending emails or letters to Disney complaining about a policy that you haven't personally experienced or attempted to ask for grace on.

That's already a benefit of DAS for every other attraction. I don't personally care if they make it a benefit of DAS for Tron, but I do think that they need a way to accommodate people who legitimately need that accommodation to ride. I can think of multiple ways they could routinely offer that accommodation on a case-by-case basis, and I know they have the data to know if you're faking the need or not.

The more people exaggerate and social engineer their way into advantages they don't need to have equal enjoyment the closer it takes us into a revamp of the program. That revamp will probably be pretty individualized and run by machine learning.

This part of the conversation belongs in Rumors and News, not the disability forum. I'd be glad to discuss it with you there. But right now we're not talking about letting regular park guests return anytime.

That's the primary benefit DAS-fraud is currently after, so I'd say it changes the rules pretty substantially. And that isn't the only way DAS changes the rules, it's just the one people talk about the most.

And IMO, if you have difficulty with a 1 hour window the best option is to ask for help well before your VQ is called. I think either of our suggestions is better than sending emails or letters to Disney complaining about a policy that you haven't personally experienced or attempted to ask for grace on.

That's already a benefit of DAS for every other attraction. I don't personally care if they make it a benefit of DAS for Tron, but I do think that they need a way to accommodate people who legitimately need that accommodation to ride. I can think of multiple ways they could routinely offer that accommodation on a case-by-case basis, and I know they have the data to know if you're faking the need or not.

The more people exaggerate and social engineer their way into advantages they don't need to have equal enjoyment the closer it takes us into a revamp of the program. That revamp will probably be pretty individualized and run by machine learning.
I'm not going to bullet point, only to say that aside from the points that make no sense or are contradictions - I do not believe that DAS guests should expect the parameters that are set for usage to be disregarded just because they can't make it work for them.

I'm not talking about this from an outside point of view. DS began getting the GAC, had for years and has had DAS since inception. As with all DAS users IT IS OUR JOB to work within the parameters set forth. IT IS OUR JOB to arrive to our time - on time - without expectation of special advantages. They are giving guests a full hour just like the DAS Advance Ride Times. If the ride is important it means WE plan our day so that at that time we can make it work. And if we don't or we can't and then don't ride, that is on us, not Disney.

I think this is one of those situations where, as a parent, you need to work with your child on understanding that this ONE ride has a special rule. I have 2 ASD kids. If there is one thing they understand, it's rules. We also deal with extreme anxiety, so I totally understand how that goes.

We had a similar situation a couple weeks ago at Universal Hollywood with Super Nintendo Land and the Mario Kart Ride. We did get a Guest Assistance Pass. However, the rule with that land is, once you get a return time for the Kart ride, you CANNOT leave the land and come back in UNLESS you have another land entry reservation for later, and they go QUICKLY. The return time DOES NOT grant you entry to the land if you have left it. The line is often 3 hours long, so that means getting a return time and sticking it out in that tiny land for 3 hours, potentially. We talked about it with our sons at length beforehand, and explained that *IF* we got a return time, we would have to ride it as soon as we were able, because we may not get back into the land again later. They both understood, and were ready to board as soon as our time came up.

With Tron, since you will have a DAS, once your boarding group is announced, you can return to convert your VQ to a Return Time, and tap in.
Walk into the line a bit, until you are sure you are past all the tap points, and move off to the side if your child needs a few extra min. Let others pass ahead of you. You can probably hang out in the Lightning Lane for 10-15 minutes for your child to "get ready" if you need to. I'm sure if a CM tries to move you along and you explain the situation, they will leave you alone.

I feel very strongly that, as parents, it is our job to teach our kids how to navigate the world and its rules, and while we do use a DAS, we are always also teaching the lesson that very often, there are times where special rules apply, and we have to be able to function within those special rules, just like everyone else does. The DAS is already giving you the option to use the LL rather than wait in the VQ line, so that is *already* the accommodation. The requirement to return within an hour IS reasonable. If you obtain a VQ, just be in the park earlier than you expect to be called, so your son can take that hour to get mentally prepared.

The other option, of course, and the one I plan to use when we go this summer is to purchase the ILL and choose a time that generally works well for your son. This way, your son has a specific timeline to work with, and can start mentally preparing ahead of it.

One big thing that makes DAS for a virtual queue ride different from a regular DAS Return Time is that it doesn’t tie up the DAS. For example I get a DAS Retirn Time for Mine Train and the DAS is still tied up whether I return immediately at the Return Time or if I decide to wait another 4 hours. With the VQ, I may continue to use the DAS for other attractions. The Advanced Selections require the DAS user to return within the window so VQ (well TRON in particular) works the same way.

One big thing that makes DAS for a virtual queue ride different from a regular DAS Return Time is that it doesn’t tie up the DAS. For example I get a DAS Retirn Time for Mine Train and the DAS is still tied up whether I return immediately at the Return Time or if I decide to wait another 4 hours. With the VQ, I may continue to use the DAS for other attractions. The Advanced Selections require the DAS user to return within the window so VQ (well TRON in particular) works the same way.

It's hard to tell if there's a technological reason they couldn't convert a VQ return time to a DAS return time, or if it's just policy.

IMO, advance selections are above and beyond, so it's easier for me to stay I don't care about not getting the extra benefit. More importantly, advance selections aren't the only way to experience those attractions.

For some, I think the perspective helps in that the VQ and DIS are completely different things. The VQ works the same for everyone. Everyone can wait elsewhere and do whatever until they are called. Once your group is called, THEN your VQ is converted to DAS by putting you into the LL. Until then they have nothing to do with each other. None of the other VQ s have strict return times for anyone. TRON has strict return times for everyone. Unless it's changed so that it ties up the DAS selections, I don't expect disney to make exceptions. And while I understand that makes it hard on DAS users, in this case it's also pretty awkward for regular users too. While I understand there can be additional challenges, I don't feel it justifies an exception, personally.

It's hard to tell if there's a technological reason they couldn't convert a VQ return time to a DAS return time, or if it's just policy.

I don't understand why WDW even bothers with this. At Disneyland, when VQ is in use, once your VQ group is called, all they make you do is show your DAS tile in the app and they let you go in the LL. No conversion needed.

Maybe it has something to do with the double tap points at most WDW ride Lightning Lanes. There is only ever one tapstyle at all DLR attractions.

When we went during opening it was beyond frustrating that we were tied to that 1 hour window. We did end up going in our 1 hour window as I did not want to have to visit the blue umbrella once again that day. As others have pointed out you have to wait the same amount of time to ride attractions. For us that is simply not the case as we normally go to the attraction much later than the return time to try and settle down and remind DS what we are about to experience step by step. It would have also been nice to have had MDE recognize that we had DAS and automatically convert the VQ to DAS so that we didn't have to do so when getting up there.

Overall DS liked the ride but was more thrilled with picking out and opening the locker with the magic band.

When we went during opening it was beyond frustrating that we were tied to that 1 hour window. We did end up going in our 1 hour window as I did not want to have to visit the blue umbrella once again that day. As others have pointed out you have to wait the same amount of time to ride attractions. For us that is simply not the case as we normally go to the attraction much later than the return time to try and settle down and remind DS what we are about to experience step by step. It would have also been nice to have had MDE recognize that we had DAS and automatically convert the VQ to DAS so that we didn't have to do so when getting up there.

Overall DS liked the ride but was more thrilled with picking out and opening the locker with the magic band.
DAS only gives an alternate place to wait instead of having to wait in the standby queue. As per Disney's website, if there are other issues, they ask that you speak to them about your concerns. DAS can be chosen from MDE on your phone, so not sure why you had to go to guest services/blue umbrella multiple times in a day, but I understand the frustration.

Not everyone wants to skip the standby queue for some of the newer attractions - so not everyone wants their DAS moved to the LL queue for Tron and GoG. I'm going to try to access both standby queues this time, I think - depending on how I feel at the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter