• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Virus's Trojans and Worms oh my!

Does anyone know what this error means? The file or directory C:\$MFT is corrupt & unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility. I run the utility but I still get the error message. I cannot download anything from the internet. I cannot open any window programs. Do I need to re-install windows? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thanks, Alex!!!! I just got my CPU back from CompUSA this morning. They said they removed a few viruses :scared1: and it started and ran without a problem. Coincidentally, I started having problems when we had power surges with rain outside...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...no thunder or lightning! So I'm a happy camper now to be off the lap top and back on the desk!! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc Woooooooo hoooooooooo!

Here is the answer from "experts exchange" a pretty good techie web site

The $mft directory is a temporary directory where MS stores the files, before the installation is complete. This tells me, you are trying to finish the installation, but it can't read the directory. Did you reinstall because of a problem? Perhaps your disk or computer was dying in some way, which caused you to reinstall, and now, even the install files cannot be read. Another possibility is that the CD is bad and you copied corrupt files, but that would have shown up in the first phase, not this one. SO my guess is there is something wrong with your computer or hard drive.

Originally posted by Pin Wizard
... Coincidentally, I started having problems when we had power surges with rain outside...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...no thunder or lightning!

Sandy,

You might want to consider investing in a UPS - Uninteruptable Power Supply. It is basically a big battery - you can plug your computer equipment in to. It will protect against power surges, and if the power goes out, your computer can stay on for a bit. If the power goes out for a long while, the UPS can shutdown your computer for you (safely, so you don't get harddrive errors - Most UPS's come with a cd containing the software for this) They also have a place to plug in your phone line.. so if you use dialup your modem will be protected as well.

They run about $79-99 .. but if you watch the sales you can find them for $50-$70 APS is a good brand. You can find them at compusa, costco, or an electronics store like bestbuy. I wouldn't reccommend ordering one online.. they are quite heavy and would be expensive to ship. Even though they aren't exactly cheap.. they are definately worth it to protect your computer- a new hard drive would cost alot more.

We even have one for a tv and tivo! (afterall a tivo is a hard drive)

--Heather

Again--my earlier point that a lot of this is Greek to the average PC user.
I guess that's why we're so often the victims of this stuff:)

I wouldn't have a clue as to what a Mozilla is, how to install it, or even where to find IE so I could remove it TO install Mozilla. And after I did it, whether or not my computer would even work again!!
And aren't some of these file names something else?? The average Joe wouldn't have a clue as to what they are or what they do. That's what happened with Pest Patrol-it was a critical file, I had no clue as to what it was or what it did, and Pest Patrol gladly let me delete it. End of Internet connection!!

MY hunch is that the overwhelming # of users on this site most likely have Windows and IE (me included).
MY defenses:
1. Have Windows advise me of all CRITICAL updates and install them as soon as available.
2. Set NORTON Anti-Virius on automatic update.
3. Have Zone Alarm advise me when they have updates and install asap.
4. Update AD-Aware weekly.
5. Watch Google Pop-up blocker do it's thing.
All of which was possible for me to set up even given my very basic knowledge of these things.

Go to google.. put in Mozilla.. click and download. Click on the installer, have a fabulous lunch (it takes some time, even over dsl/cable), come back to a great web browser! or I believe you can still order the CD-- it used to be about $5, money above the cost of the cd and shipping goes to support the mozilla foundation. You don't have to uninstall IE - in fact I'm not even sure you can, and you wouldn't want to because you still need it to get to the windows update page for patches.

.. sorry not trying to be snide, but it just gets exasperating sometimes.. I know it's not intuitive for everyone, and not everybody grew up with computers. I am sure it is exasperating and difficult when you get infected/hijacked. But the large majority of people who have posted to this thread, have already taken some of the right steps, they have been able to find things like adaware, good antivirus programs, pop up blockers and even firewalls. You are a step ahead by simply knowing the problem is out there. So googling Mozilla shouldn't be a stretch. Installing mozilla is as easy as installing any of the software you've mentioned.. it's mostly just the waiting becuase it is huge.

If you go to the Mozilla.org in the upper right corner, click on products. You will see 5 choices.. for most users you will want to choose from:

Mozilla - all in one browser, mail, and web development
Firefox - just the browser - no email
Thunderbird - browser + email

If you are using something like MSOutlook or you read your mail in IE - choose Thunderbird. If you read your mail from a webpage (usually called webmail) choose Firefox (you won't need the extra mail part) And if you use outlook- stop! There are several hundred viruses and exploits for it - many of which only require that you run it, you never have to click on anything.

Mozilla is the open source (free, community created) root of Netscape. It is very easy to use and has a lot of wonderful features. Once you get it find the options menu (under tools?) and check out the different features-- it even has it's own pop up blocker, built in.

.. and I hope no one takes this the wrong way... but ignorance isn't an excuse, it's a crutch; and it wouldn't fly at work, at school or in a court room. If you can get online and find forums like the dis, pay your bills, shop on ebay, you can find the info and make your computer secure. Ask questions, ask for help (as many of you are) tell your friends and family. It's not something you do just once and can forget about.. it's on going and requires vigilence.

<ok, stepping off my soap box>

If anyone ever needs help, feel free to pm me or instant message me (aim - heathrow55) I used to do user tech support and can be pretty good breaking things down (and I'm not always such a meanie.. :teeth: )

Heather

Thank you Webmaster Alex for your help. I had installed a sample Autocad program the end of June & after that is when I started having problems. I have found out that I will need to start over from the beginning with my computer. Re-install all my programs.

heathrow42:
Well-I am doing my best to learn as I go. But downloading even the most simple things can be a problem. To wit:
I used to have AOL Dial- Up. Everytime they had an "upgrade" (like from AOL 5.0 to AOL 6.0) I'd upgrade. After about 4 such upgrades I was unable to access the Internet. Went to AOL help, talked it over with my computer support group where I worked, etc--no one had a clue.
Then got my brother over--he pounded the keyboard for a few minutes and then announced the problem. Every time I had upgraded, AOL had not simply added the new upgrades (and over-written the "same" parts of AOL) Instead, it downloaded a brand-new web browser each time and did not remove the old one!! No instructions to me about removing old AOL first--or even removing the old version after the new one got installed. So when I accessed the Internet, I had FOUR web browsers going all at once!! When I did the 5th upgrade, the Internet access crashed.

There is a reason most techy people refer to AOL as AOHELL

I have run every program and nothing detects any worms. I'm going to go on the assumption that I no longer have one. The pc mostly runs fine but it's a bit sluggish. Certain sites take forever. The worst one is ebay. Could the worm virus or the trojans have alterred something causing my pc to not be right. Any way to check this? Or is it possible I'm still missing something. If, 2 weeks later I hadn't removed a worm virus wouldn't my pc be having serious problems by now?

When this problem first started a couple weeks ago I defragged, ran scan disk, etc. Maybe I should re-run all the maintenance now that I've gotten rid of the problems.

I have a question.

I have been running AdAware, but after reading this thread I decided to download Spybot also.

I can run the program fine. It scaned fine and found 102 things that are critical :eek: . This is after I ran Ad Aware. When I go to "fix the problem" it gets about 3/4 the way done and then freezes up. My computer tells me Spybot is not responding. I have tried it several times, but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me figure it out? Thanks!

I don't know what to say, Jenn. Possibly uninstall it, reboot, reinstall and see it that helps any. I do use it, but since buying the Plus version of Ad-aware at lavasoft, Spybot finds none. Just ran it today, Ad-aware Plus must be getting 100% of them. Try to uninstall and redo it.

Ok, I am sooo glad I found this thread, but I have to tell you, I am soo nervous to try some of the suggestions. I have been having many problems with my pc, freezing, way to many pop ups, errors, programs gone and then back after I restart. I went into WM Alex's site for spy and ad downloads. First of all, pick the mirror site from which to download? Never heard that before...went to their FAQ's....saw many problems people had after they downloaded. Yipes, I know I have a lot of crud that I need to get rid of, but should I take it in to have it done? Or can someone give it to me in A,B,C fashion and I will just do it. Thanks for your help!
Bo

Bo,

A "mirror" is just a site to download from. There are often several "mirrors" to choose from, sometimes from other countries as well as US. Just click on one that is closest to your area. Spybot has several "mirrors" to choose from to update your definitions. Same thing.

Hope this helps.

I find this annoying, after downloading and registering Mozilla Firefox, I am now recieving Spam emails, Mozilla is listed in the properties of some of the emails, how do I stop these, not all the emails have an unsubscribe section, and I am not sure that I should use the unsubscribe section, as this only confirms the use of the email address.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter