Visual disability accomodations

singn77

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone. My husband is visually impaired and I act as his guide. I was just wondering if there was anyone out here who has run with a visual impairment or as a guide and what it's like? We've done rundisney races in the past, but not since he became so visually impaired.

Thank you!

I'd recommend watching the rezruns channel on YouTube as the person who makes those videos is visually impaired and runs the race with a guide. There is probably relevant info on his channel.

I'd recommend watching the rezruns channel on YouTube as the person who makes those videos is visually impaired and runs the race with a guide. There is probably relevant info on his channel.
Thank you. I actually just found that channel about 5 minutes ago. :)

I run with a guide and have done a few runDisney races!

If I remember correctly, you sign up as a visually impaired athlete when you register (this is standard for larger races). (Otherwise just email them after registering).

You can get a guide from runDisney, which is not standard for races but super awesome! I ran with a guide from runDisney my last race even though I ran with my sister which meant she and I didn’t have to run together.

RunDisney has a AWD (athletes with disabilities) tent in the pre/post race area. If you’re registered as an AWD you might have to check in there? It’s where you would meet your guide if you use a runDisney guide. You can leave things like a white cane there.

Just to be aware, running a race guided is totally different than running a race not guided or going for a run with a guide. RunDisney in particular is crowded and has a lot of first time runners who might not realize you’re guiding. I think rundisney will give you a bib for his back that says visually impaired runner or athlete with a disability, but I can’t remember if they give you one for yourself that says guide.
The best way to get through crowds for a race like this is to avoid crowds, which I think just means starting in an earlier corral? I wouldn’t do a lot of stopping for pictures until you get the rhythm of running guided in a crowded race.

All that said, I think rundisney races are some of the best to run with a guide because the make the process pretty smooth! Have fun!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter