Vitamin D

It's widely accepted that the strength of people's immune systems is the main determinant of how severely they are affected by COVID. The immune system weakens with age, which is why the elderly tend to have the worst time with it. Children have the strongest immune systems, which is why they get fevers so easily: their bodies readily defend against viruses and infections. Aside from advanced age, many medical conditions, and being badly out of shape, weaken the immune system.
Depends on who gets it. A strong immune system can be detrimental when it sends the kitchen sink at everything. At least among those who died at a younger age from Covid-19, many seem to have suffered from a "cytokine storm" where the immune system overreacted to the threat.

I have been watching Dr. John Campbell's coronavirus updates on youtube since March and he has always said that vitamin D helps with immunity to respiratory infections. Yesterday he talked about a study in Indonesia that support this.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9IOB2TExg3QIBupFtBDxg
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3585561 (you may need an account to view this)

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...ween-vitamin-d-deficiency-and-covid-19-deaths
This is the key findings of the study -

• Majority of the COVID-19 cases with insufficient and deficient Vitamin D status died.

• The odds of death was higher in older and male cases with pre-existing condition and below normal Vitamin D levels.

• When controlling for age, sex, and comorbidity, Vitamin D status is strongly associated with COVID-19 mortality.

Since pigmentation reduces vitamin D production in the skin, could this contribute to the poor outcome to the virus in African Americans? Should everyone consider taking a vitamin D supplement?
My Dr actually made a point to talk about vitamin D with me last month.

Another aspect of vitamin D is that our body needs to make some types of it. If your organs aren't working 100%, you may have trouble. You may still present relatively healthy at this point (blood tests still in proper boundaries), just not making adequate vitamin D. But you really aren't as healthy as someone without this issue and possibly more vulnerable to the severity of C19.

What's not known is if it's the Vit D deficiency or the lower organ function?

Last edited:
I have been taking calcium with vitamin D for years because I have osteopenia. I'm semi-allergic to the sun so I tend to seek shade when outside but I love the sun so it's a catch 22. Lately I have been going and sitting on my deck for 10 min. every day (I live in Georgia so it's going to get too hot to do it except mornings soon) just to get a good hit of vitamin D for my soul.

Our son's specialty pediatrician advised us months ago to put him on 1000IU daily and for us to take 2000IU - which we've been doing with no apparent ill effects...good to know about the dangers of taking too much though!!!

This came up early on in my MedCram videos that I watch on YouTube. I’ve been supplementing since I had test results say I’m deficient.

This isn't some far flung theory. There are very sound biological reasons why deficiency in vitamin D leads to poor outcomes in fighting viruses. This is not quackery...it is actual proven science.

However, you have to be pretty severely deficient to see these poor outcomes (levels under 20). About 40% of Americans are SLIGHTLY deficient, with a value between 25 and 30. You want to be above 30.

If you don't know, there is no harm in taking a 2000IU Vitamin D3 supplement every day.

There IS harm in taking more than that, if you don't KNOW you are deficient. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, it is not cleared out by your kidneys, and you CAN overdose on it. You don't want to do that.

My last levels measured in October were 37. My doctor has asked me to continue to take a 2000IU supplement daily because I have a tendency for my levels to drop below 30 if I don't.
My doctor recommended a few years go that my husband and I take 5000IU of vitamin D daily because our level was so low. We are getting bloodwork soon to see if we should continue taking it everyday.

I have been on high dose vitamin d for a while now-my last test level was an 8 which was up from a 6 the time before but still horribly low.

If you take high doses of vitamin d you must get retested at three months. Ongoing high doses can cause calcification (heart issues) and can be tough on the kidneys.

------------

@aprilgail

That is horribly low.
Didn't we discuss b12 deficiency in an earlier thread?

How high of a dose and what form of vitamin d (if you don't mind sharing)?

My vitamin d level was 7.6. With crazy high supplementation - no pills, spray/drops d3 plus vitamin k -over many months, monitored by a naturopathic doctor, I was able to get it up to 30. She would still like it higher.

I mention the b12 because I have an absorption issue and hoping that someone is looking into the reason for your low levels April.

I take 3000 mg of Vitamin D Daily. My Internist, GYN highly suggest Vitamin D supplementation especially in the winter months when folks get very little sun. I "got lazy" and stopped taking Vitamin D for about 6 months..I truly felt a difference when I stopped, less energy, the "winter blues" were alot worse without the Vitamin D...SAD(Seasonal affective disorder) is very real and can be very common in cold climates where one is exercising less and getting very little sun..once clocks go back in fall, darkness comes about 5PM, no outdoor time after work as there is in summer..I went back on the Vitamin D regiment and my energy came back and I overall felt better! Living in Florida now, the sun and outdoor exercise, walking, bike riding has been fabulous for my health.:sunny:
Its a "win win"..Vitamin D for more energy and if it protects the immune system "possibly" from Covid19, that is even better! ::yes::

I had my Vitamin D measured a few years ago and was in the low 20s. My doctor put me on the prescription Vitamin D to take in the short term (I believe it was 50,000 IUs). I took it for 3 days and had to stop. Every bone and joint in my body ached like I had the flu. When I stopped it, it took a few days to return to normal. Tried it two other times just to make sure it was that, and it was. Everyone scratched their head over that and had no answer.

Right now I take it hit or miss but should do better. I think a doctor once told me that if your levels are low and you try to get them up with OTC levels of Vitamin D, it won't work. You need to take the big dose to "fill up your bucket" then go from there, but I can't. @lisaviolet would you mind sharing the brand of liquid drops you used?

I've been taking a Vitamin D supplement since March, though my doctor suggested I take one even earlier since I live in a city and do not get much natural sunlight. Especially now that, prior to visiting the suburbs, I was rarely leaving my house, the Vitamin D seemed especially important! I also take Vitamin C.

At least taking vitamin D supplements isn't harmful unlike the garbage treatments you hear during several press conferences.

Vitamin D supplements can be problematic for some people. With some diseases, taking vitamin D supplements can lead to hypercalciumia or hypercalciuria. I have to be carefully monitored for these while taking vitamin D. It is always better to discuss taking any supplement with your doctor first.

I take Vit D.... Vit C... Calcium... and Elderberry.... sometimes Ashwagandha when I am stressed, have an injury etc. Many of these I know from my grad work in a muscle physiology research lab at Umass. I am a New Englander and not a sun bather type person. plus being peri-menopausal as well ....so I need to be careful of my Vit D and Calcium levels for my bone health down the road. I def. notice a difference in my general aches and pains when I am on it versus off it.

There IS harm in taking more than that, if you don't KNOW you are deficient. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, it is not cleared out by your kidneys, and you CAN overdose on it. You don't want to do that.

Exactly this ^^^^ People shouldn't randomly start taking any fat soluble vitamin without knowing if/how much they actually need.

I've had a run-in with kidney problems in the past, and my doctor has warned me to never exceed the dosage, and even to skip the Vitamin D if I can't remember if I took it or not. Very dangerous to take too much.

I take a 50,000 IU capsule once weekly, but also have blood work done every six months that monitor my levels.

Interestingly, I live in Florida and get TOO MUCH sun, but still have a deficiency, so you can't always go by that. I have to wear UV blocking arm covers over my sunblock because my skin gets cooked just from driving and everyday things. I have no shortage of sun exposure and spend a lot of time on the beach.

I had my Vitamin D measured a few years ago and was in the low 20s. My doctor put me on the prescription Vitamin D to take in the short term (I believe it was 50,000 IUs). I took it for 3 days and had to stop. Every bone and joint in my body ached like I had the flu. When I stopped it, it took a few days to return to normal. Tried it two other times just to make sure it was that, and it was. Everyone scratched their head over that and had no answer.

It's frustrating when your reaction doesn't fit the norm. Weirdly enough your symptoms are exactly what happens to one's body when you are extremely low - softening of the bones for some, which can cause flu-like aching. I realize that it is a coincidence since it disappeared, but interesting nonetheless.

It happened to me as well, a reaction that made zero sense. Vitamin d supplementation over time is supposed to up your mood. I didn't have any mood issue before taking it. But did/do during. I just pushed through regardless, with a 7.6 reading I had to make that choice. And vitamin d is actually a hormone, so every body is different.

As for your question unfortunately I used multiple brands (my naturopathic doctor thought the lanolin in the drops was adversely affecting me), but I used the spray linked below the longest. It is messy and some reviewers think it tastes awful. I didn't. It is also important to take any drops and/or spray with a large meal. And supposedly advatageous to supplement in the morning to follow the body's circadian rhythm.

https://www.gardenoflife.com/content/product/mykind-organics-vitamin-d3-organic-spray/

I also believe that the vitamin k made a difference. And the levels. I was 10 000 iu/a day for the first month and 5000 iu for the next two months. I couldn't get retested at first due to Covid-19, so I dropped way down in supplementation until it was a safer environment to go to a lab.

***I want to state again, as many of us have written on here, high levels of supplementation can affect the kidneys and can cause calcification (heart), so please be monitored and recheck levels after three months***

Last edited:
It bothers me that supplements are such outrageously high doses. Obviously, if your doctor recommends a megadose, do it, but if you're just looking for a little help it's hard to find a low dose supplement without getting a multivitamin.

I've started eating salmon to get more vitamin D in my diet. Big bags of frozen fillets are reasonably priced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter