Volunteering

After reading all of these comments I finally came up with the fact the director needed to know. I emailed her about something else and added that I had an awful experience recently and had considered not coming back.I asked if they had ever considered some kind of exit interview type of survey for volunteers who have suddenly disappeared. I'm kind of a coward and said I wouldn't name the person (I feel it would be burning a bridge--I don't want to go in there and feel intimidated this woman knew I complained!). I went in to work later in the day and saw the director, who told me to check my email. She also left me a gift. In the email, she explained to me the woman can be pretty rough and they have had to speak to her many times (and that she's actually gotten better!!). The director apologized to me profusely and will handle it. It did make me feel better it was nothing personal to me and I'm glad I told my story. With so many volunteers not showing up, it's very hard on the shelter. The woman has been there for decades and actually does a great job with the dogs. It's very hard to find people to work there, but also hard to get volunteers let alone having them leave due to mistreatment. I have faith things are going to improve. Thank you all again! If it were for anything else other than a cause I care so deeply about, I would have just never gone back.. However, I love this place and all of the creatures there!

Good for you! I'm glad you came up with a time and way that was comfortable for you to do. If you haven't already, take a moment to be proud of yourself. It's often an emotion people skip by. 🥰 You did something really courageous, speaking up for others, even though it could have impacted back on you.

I thought you did it in a very elegant way, adding it onto the end of an email about something else. And the fact that you did not mention the person's name came off classy, in my opinion. Both showed you weren't out to get that person. I'm sure your director noted that. And, it turns out, she knows full well who you are talking about anyway. As, you said, that person's actions aren't personal, it's kind of who she is. :headache:

It appears that emails between you and the director are the way to go for this situation. She could have spoken more in depth to you directly, but also chose to email back. in a month or so, when you see things improve, you might jot off another email, briefly thanking her, saying the morale of all the volunteers have improved greatly. :thumbsup2 Then WHEN, notice: when, not IF that person slips into her old, usual habits and volunteers are quitting left and right again, you now have line of communication with the director to be able to just send off a brief note, saying, "Unfortunately, that person needs a reminder again. Volunteers are leaving again." And leave it at that. (Or something like that.) Then the situation easily gets fixed again.

Good luck at the shelter. I hope you, the other volunteers and the animals have it nice and peaceful for a long, long time, and the shelter thrives because of your actions. :cat: 🐕 :grouphug: 💖

Good luck at the shelter. I hope you, the other volunteers and the animals have it nice and peaceful for a long, long time, and the shelter thrives because of your actions. :cat: 🐕 :grouphug: 💖

First I wanted to thank you for your beautiful words. They made my day! Unfortunately, things went really south this past weekend and I am never going back.

It was an event I was tasked with taking a dog to. I got screamed at and condescended to by an employee in addition to a board member, unfortunately in front of my husband and kids (but in a way it was good to have witnesses that I had done nothing to deserve it). It was humiliating and my feelings were very much hurt. My husband and daughters were all upset and disgusted at how I was spoken to. The director was standing right there, looking embarrassed.

We also donated quite a bit of money to this fundraiser, along with our time. I was (quietly behind my sunglasses crying a little) for a bit but finished my shift, actually I was even made to stay later and to feel bad when I questioned the dog being in the heat for hours. Just wow. I was able to give a cheerful, surprisingly coherent speech on stage about the dog but finished the job.

The example I set for my daughters that day was to finish the job no matter how hard, but that's all you owe to anyone. Bleeccch I feel awful! Thank you all for your advice. I regret not taking the 'never go back' advice the first time around!

First I wanted to thank you for your beautiful words. They made my day! Unfortunately, things went really south this past weekend and I am never going back.

It was an event I was tasked with taking a dog to. I got screamed at and condescended to by an employee in addition to a board member, unfortunately in front of my husband and kids (but in a way it was good to have witnesses that I had done nothing to deserve it). It was humiliating and my feelings were very much hurt. My husband and daughters were all upset and disgusted at how I was spoken to. The director was standing right there, looking embarrassed.

We also donated quite a bit of money to this fundraiser, along with our time. I was (quietly behind my sunglasses crying a little) for a bit but finished my shift, actually I was even made to stay later and to feel bad when I questioned the dog being in the heat for hours. Just wow. I was able to give a cheerful, surprisingly coherent speech on stage about the dog but finished the job.

The example I set for my daughters that day was to finish the job no matter how hard, but that's all you owe to anyone. Bleeccch I feel awful! Thank you all for your advice. I regret not taking the 'never go back' advice the first time around!
So sad this happened, it's a shame when volunteers get treated this way.

Your experience is appalling, as a donor you really should consider writing a letter to the organization about this employee and inform them you are withdrawing support due to their behavior because if they do it to you they do it to others, and possibly, the animals. Maybe nothing will come of it but if your letter is sitting there and another complaint shows up then that second one has more weight.

Maybe this employee just needs to go, this person doesn't sound like someone I'd want dogsitting much less responsible for poor little loves who are in that sort of situation:(

I'm sorry you were treated so badly. The fact that the director witnessed the whole thing and didn't speak up and stop the abuse says it all. She wasn't willing to do what it takes to change the culture she ALLOWS at her facility. It's not like she doesn't know what is happening. The fact that her employees even do it in front of her means they've done it in the past and know she won't do anything. No need to write another letter. NOT writing one sends a clearer singnal to the director. You don't think she's worth any more of your time or consideration.

You're right. You owe this shelter NOTHING more. They use and abuse you and other volunteers. Leave them in the rear view mirror. Find another shelter, maybe in the next county? It may be a further distance to travel to, and you can't do it as often because of that. But, if they treat you better, it will be worth it. Good luck!

Wow, a person comes on and asks for guidance and reassurance that they are doing the right thing and instead gets a crap load of grammar lessons.

Your experience is appalling, as a donor you really should consider writing a letter to the organization about this employee and inform them you are withdrawing support due to their behavior because if they do it to you they do it to others, and possibly, the animals. Maybe nothing will come of it but if your letter is sitting there and another complaint shows up then that second one has more weight.
I would definitely do this in a heartbeat - the way they treat volunteers is disgusting. They deserve blowback for this - shouldn't be allowed to get away with it. I'd be doing the above, plus informing local media reporters of the experience. I bet someone may want to do a story on this during a slow news day.

So sorry you are going through this. So upsetting for you to be treated badly when you are trying to do the right thing.

Is there another shelter in your area that you could try and volunteer at?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter