Vow Renewal aboard the Magic

Renee'

I've a lil shadow that goes in & out with me, stay
For any of you that are considering a vow renewal through Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings and considering it while on the cruise this may be of interest.

I researched our renewal through FTW either at the WP or on the cruise. We first had the pavilion booked then we seriously gave the cruise a look considering we've been on the Magic 3 times prior and it always seemed so magical. Considering what an intimate wedding (renewal) was going to be in relationship with the renewal onboard, the cruise also seems to be a better value monetarily. Being DVC members we wouldn't need an entire intimate package but simply an add-on. It was running $2,900 for the ceremony at the WP with the cake/champagne reception at the GF. The renewal package aboard ship runs $1,099 with the package offering the same. Flowers, cake, champagne, etc. but onboard you are also given an 8x10 photo presented in a DCL folio with an 8x10 of the ship. In addition, you are given an opportunity you cannot have at WDW. On board the ship you are renewing your vows on one of the formal nights. Your ceremony takes place just prior to the characters arriving in the atrium and therefore you are given the opportunity to have photo ops with them. This is something you really don't have an opportunity to do at the WDW as you cannot wear your wedding attire inside any of the parks. You can hire them for your wedding but that is your only option.

I was originally going to type a trip report of sorts but the more I thought about it I decided it was our special time and more than likely no one will really care except us anyway. I do have some comments which may help those who may be contemplating the cruise renewal.

Your package offers you concierge service - use it. It was so nice having all our Palo ressies made the week before we left on the cruise.

Our itinerary didn't have us meeting with our wedding coordinator until 2 on Saturday. Once onboard (around 12:20) I immediate went to Guest Services and asked for her. She was there and we immediately headed to Sessions to handle any other reservations. We had the spa, salon and kids club handled within 30 minutes. No mad dash about ship - that was such a pleasure.

All of our expectations of how we would be treated were certainly met. The coordinator to the captain made the experience once-in-a-lifetime. Don't fear the Sessions (bar atmosphere). Your ceremony is directly in front of the piano facing one of the portholes. It was such a beautiful backdrop as our ceremony was at 4:45pm with the sun beginning to descend and the ocean was like glass.

The ship's photographer did an excellent job as the photos were excellent. She took almost 70 proofs so we had plenty to choose from. Our coordinator also took our camera and took many pictures of us. She also had another concierge member there filming with our camcorder.

If anyone has any questions, please ask as I'd be happy to answer any. It was extremely special being princess for the evening aboard the ship. I highly recommend it for anyone wanting a Disney touch to your vow renewal.

Renee, thanks for a great post! We are thinking of renewing our vows on our 30th anniversary and would love to have it take place on one of the ships. We are sailing on our 27th in February and I may look into the details then. I too debated as to whether the parks or the ship would be better and after reading about how wonderful everything was for you, I'm now sold on the ship!

:Pinkbounc

Thanks again!

Mary,
All of the weddings/renewals are handled through FTW. The manager of concierge was our coordinator onboard. I imagine if you contact them while you're on the cruise they can answer any questions you may have. The ceremonies take place in Sessions on the Magic and the Cadillac Lounge on the Wonder. When I originally heard of the location it concerned me but it really was a very pretty atmosphere.

Renee,
The only other photo that we've uploaded thus far is the photo that my hubby has in his signature which is this one taken in front of the Disney Theatre...

wedding.jpg

Hi Renee'. I was wondering if you can help me with some questions. (Sorry, it's a long list):

#1. Did you go through DCL for your renewal package or did you have to go with FTW?
#2. If you went through DCL, how do you pay for it?(My cruise is already paid for in full, we aren't going till Dec.27, 2003), do you pay DCL or FTW?
#3. Can you have Mickey walk you doen the isle and Minnie be your maid of honor?(my DS, gae 11 now, will be 12/12 when we cruise will be giving me away and will be our best man).
#4. How fa

Hi Renee'. I was wondering if you can help me with some questions. (Sorry, it's a long list):

#1. Did you go through DCL for your renewal package or did you have to go with FTW?
#2. If you went through DCL, how do you pay for it?(My cruise is already paid for in full, we aren't going till Dec.27, 2003), do you pay DCL or FTW?
#3. Can you have Mickey walk you down the isle and Minnie be your maid of honor?(my DS, age 11 now, will be 12/12 when we cruise will be giving me away and will be our best man).
#4. How far enough in advance do you have to book it?
#5. How did you pack your gown?
#6. I got prices from FTW ranging from 2,900-4,500 and on the DCL website, it says to add 1,099 to your package. How did you do it?
There are other questions, but I figured that could be a start. I wanted to actually renew our vowes on our 25th, but I figured maybe this may be the best way, I never got to walk down the isle the first time(got married at the JP) and I wanted to do it right. Our anniversary is Jan.5th, we will be married 17 yrs. by the time we go. Beside the fact that this cruise is not only an anniversary gift, it's a christmas gift and a graduation gift(I am going back to college for a 2yr. degree in criminal justice) and hopefully graduate one week before we go.
I loved your pictures, you all loved beautiful.
Thanks,
Lisa:Pinkbounc

Hi Lisa,

You sound a lot like us. Our wedding was a small house wedding. I wore a simple street dress and there was no isle to walk down. Our renewal was like the wedding we never had. It truly meant more waiting and I'm so happy we did things this way. Saying those words 20 years later seem to have more meaning versus what we said as kids. To answer your questions.

1) The vow renewals are booked through FTW. Cathy Ingle is the wedding coordinator at FTW who handles the weddings/renewals on the cruise.

2) FTW will send you a planning kit once your renewal is booked. You must return your planning kit 6-8 weeks prior to your sail date. Once your planning kit has been completed and returned they will bill your credit card with the total of the package. $1,099 is what it was running. 2003 may have a slightly different package/pricing structure.

3) I never inquired about having a character at our ceremony. I know from previously inquiring about a ceremony at WDW that it was $500 for 30 minutes with a character to be present. I assumed it would run about the same on the cruise and since we'd have ample photo ops with them immediately following our ceremony it wasn't worth it monetarily to look into it.

Our 7 year old son was our best man. Our 10 year old daughter was my maid-of-honor. I opted to walk alone.

4) 12 months in advance is as far as you can book. Once you hit the 12 month mark call FTW and book your renewal. They will want your reservation number for cross reference.

5) I'm lucky in that we're within driving distance to the port. So I left my gown in the bag it came in from the bridal shop. I then hand carried it on-board. It made for many interesting comments in the port as my hubby held it for a while since he's taller and the dress was heavy. We were the celebrity wedding couple of sorts.

6) The add-on renewal package is $1,099. Possibly the other pricing you're seeing is for the cruise and renewal together. I know FTW changes their packages and pricing from year to year so 2003 may be slightly different.

It sounds like you have plenty to celebrate when you cruise. I cannot think of a better place to celebrate. I hope that helps. If you think of any other questions just let me know.

Happy planning!

Hi again, Renee. I just thought of another question. Do they offer another choice in a restraunt the night of the ceremony?
We really are not the Palo type people. I have read on the boards that it's a nice resteraunt, but my DH and I really don't have the interest to go to that one. I have been on the Wonder and it didn't appeal to us.
My DH and I are really getting excited about the cruise, (in 4 days, it will be under 400 to go). He is really thinking about renewing our vowes. I even tried on a wedding gown!! I cried so much. I couldn't believe what I saw in the mirror, not being able to have done it right in the first place. My DH loved the gown and my DS was actually speechless!! We are going to call FTW after the first of January.
Thanks again,
Lisa:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

Lisa,

You do not have to go to Palo. The reservation is part of the package but you're under no obligation to go. Your cake/champagne reception will be right there with you at your ceremony. So there's nothing really at Palo celebration wise it's just assumed that dinner would be there. You may request any of the restaurants for that evening. While planning I sat down and figured out which rotation would give me Lumieres that evening and asked for it. Your coordinator is very accommodating and will be sure you get what you'd prefer. We wanted Lumieres as we did have dinner with our children (we had soup while the children had dinner). The kids wanted to dress comfy and go to the kids area so we then went to Palo for our adult time. Our rotation was the early seating so we had Lumieres then Palo at 7:30 - it worked out very well.

I too found wedding dress shopping one of the highlights. I ended up purchasing the first dress I pulled out and tried on.

In retrospect (and during that evening) I truly felt this was the best. The small house wedding 20 years ago then this most memorable one now. I really think we appreciated it so much more now than we would have then. We were so young and now after 20 years having both of our children there meant so much more.

Feel free to pm or email me if you have any further questions as I'm happy to help.

Happy planning!

CONGRATULATIONS and BEST WISHES!! :)

What a treat, thanx for sharing your special renewal with us!
You have a beautiful family!

Thanks for the information. It sounds romantic! The pictures are lovely~You two hardly look old enough to be married for 20 years. How about a side by side signature with the 1st and 2nd wedding pictures ?

Congratulations!

Thanks. I wish I could find the few pictures we have of our first wedding.

Did you ever get your brochure?

Renee', it sounds like your VR was magical. Thank you so much for posting the details. My husband & I will have a WDW VR at some point in the future. After reading what you wrote, I will give serious consideration to having one onboard a DCL ship.

During our tour of the kitchen, we watched them make your wedding cake! It was so beautiful! Definitely something every couple should do at a significant anniversary.

Happy days to you!
Rae

Rae, The cake was incredible. Over the weekend we were showing the renewal pics to friends of ours. I'm still amazed at the lattice work....and it was edible too. They did an incredible job.

Is there any way possible you can post a picture of the cake. We are getting married on the ship this November.

I'm hoping that someone out there is still checking in on this thread. My husband and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary while onboard the May 10 Magic Western. We are very excited and I just love the idea of renewing our vows. He has always wanted to do it in Vegas....our first wedding was a fairy tale of sorts too...we were married on the beach in Hawaii.

The only thing is that we will be sailing all by ourselves on this trip but would still like to privately renew our vows. Would the package be a waste if it's just the two of us?

Nothing is a waste if it makes you happy and strengthens your marriage!!!

Rae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter