VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

We definitely want to make time to explore a bit. Our son won't be super into it so not sure how much.

My husband said we need to go check out a train or something? Any idea what that's about? I feel like I remember seeing something about it but can't remember now.

We definitely want to make time to explore a bit. Our son won't be super into it so not sure how much.

My husband said we need to go check out a train or something? Any idea what that's about? I feel like I remember seeing something about it but can't remember now.
Yes, in the lobby of the Boulder Ridge building there is the Carolwood Pacific room. It's a place to sit and relax (sometimes if it rains, they do some of the childrens activities in there). There's a display of Walt's trains in the room. Just more of the details that make the WL so unique. Look at all the totem poles in BRV, too - the carvings are beautiful. Your son may enjoy looking for the different animals carved, it's very interesting!

Yes, in the lobby of the Boulder Ridge building there is the Carolwood Pacific room. It's a place to sit and relax (sometimes if it rains, they do some of the childrens activities in there). There's a display of Walt's trains in the room. Just more of the details that make the WL so unique. Look at all the totem poles in BRV, too - the carvings are beautiful. Your son may enjoy looking for the different animals carved, it's very interesting!

Thanks for the info! Definitely going to check all that out.

DLI,
This shows you how redneck I am. When Tammy and I got married in 1990, she suggested we go to WDW. Dummy me, I thought that's way more than I could afford at the time, so I said no to that. I know, I know, cant believe I declined that, but I was naive in those days.

Anywho, so she found this place in Dahlonega, GA, the next town over from Dawsonville. Well I started planning what all we were going to do on our Honeymoon. 1 hr from Atlanta, lets go see the Braves play and while there, visit with my great Uncle and Aunt in Alpharetta. My Uncle Sam never met a stranger(Hmm, maybe that's where I get it from)and he used to work in Baltimore as a conductor on Amtrak before retiring in GA so he met a lot of dignitaries including Presidents, ballplayers, etc. on the train. I asked him if he knew where Dale Murphy lived and he proceeds to pull me right up to his front door and tells me to ring the door bell. I just told him I was good getting a picture of his house(scared Dale was going to get me arrested on my Honeymoon)

Another stop was at Bill Elliotts shop. Since you know who he is, this was the time in his career where he was still running cars out of his shop in Dawsonville with his family, and he was driving the blue car with Coors Light as the sponsor. SO we went to his museum and saw what we could of his secretive shop. Then we went to the Dawsonville Pool Room where they sound the alarm if Bill(or now Chase)wins a race. Thats how redneck, backwoodsy I am! :rotfl2:
If you have not been back to Dahlonega(where I live now) since 1990, you need to come back. A lot has changed with all the wineries but still a quaint old square with lots of shops and restaurants. Dawsonville is a large outlet mall now but does have the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame.

If you have not been back to Dahlonega(where I live now) since 1990, you need to come back. A lot has changed with all the wineries but still a quaint old square with lots of shops and restaurants. Dawsonville is a large outlet mall now but does have the Georgia Racing Hall of Fame.
We went back in early 2000s for our Anniversary. It had changed a lot even then. Im sure I wouldn't hardly recognize the place now. Downtown I remember being very quaint. And that had not changed much. We stayed at a place on the outskirts of town called Forest Hills Hideaway both times. It's just up the road from Amicalola Falls.

And we went to the HOF more recently. Our DS was with us during a Braves weekend, when they were still at Turner Field. In those days we used to stay north of ATL in Alpharetta. So one day we decided to trek out early to show him the area we honeymooned and took him through Dahlonega, to the Dawsonville Pool Room and the HOF. It was cool getting to share that with him.

Beautiful area you live in!

So what exactly is the story with Humphrey's nose? What's the origin of it?

Also...Happy Thanksgiving!
I cant remember exactly how the rubbing nose started, but Im thinking it was started several years ago on the Resorts Forum 1st dedicated posts about WL. It was nothing official or anything, but rather something an enthusiast started, meant to say, rub Humprheys nose at the start of a trip to get the magic started.

Now Moose Dust, that's ours, the Groupies, we started that one. I can explain MD, its like Pixie Dust, but rather brown in color with tinges of greens and burgundies mixed in. We sprinkle it around here every so often in cases of need like someone needing good thoughts and prayers sent their way, or to celebrate a happy occasion, such as your upcoming trip. So here is some Moose Dust coming your way for a great trip :wizard:

Hello everyone! Im a first-timer to VWL and can’t wait! We check into BR this Sunday. My DH and I are taking my in laws with us. I realized from this helpful thread that not all rooms have the Murphy bed, and we really prefer it. Should I make that request via online check in? Or, should I call DVC MS? Curious if one is more effective than the other? THANK YOU!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter